Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Storage and Safety

Options
  • 27-09-2014 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I want to prepare some meats, pasta/rice and veg to have for college for a few days, so I don't have to buy the canteen food.

I am wondering how long chicken fillets/breasts will last if I cook them on a Sunday night? and how long they will last in the fridge raw

Also, the same goes for red meat? Pasta/rice

Finally, what is the best way to carry the chicken etc in college so that it won't go off during the day in my backpack

Thank you kindly:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

GeneralC wrote: »
    Hello,

I want to prepare some meats, pasta/rice and veg to have for college for a few days, so I don't have to buy the canteen food.

I am wondering how long chicken fillets/breasts will last if I cook them on a Sunday night? and how long they will last in the fridge raw

Also, the same goes for red meat? Pasta/rice

Finally, what is the best way to carry the chicken etc in college so that it won't go off during the day in my backpack

Thank you kindly:)

Your eyes and nose will be your best friend in this enterprise. You have no idea how long a piece of chicken has been in existence / in the production/packaging process before you actually buy it, so giving an exact number of days that it'll be good for isn't possible.

I've used chicken up to four or five days after I've cooked it, but equally chicken has turned after two or three. Learn to know the smell of meat on the turn.

Rice I think needs to be cooled quickly if it's not to be used straight away. Pasta just goes gloopy if it's cooked and left. Both of these cook so quickly why would you be bothered doing them in batches in advance?

Do you have a freezer? If so this will be the answer to a lot of your problems - cook loads of meat at the weekend, freeze it in single portions and take out as you need it. Cook your pasta/rice fresh as you need it.

Lastly, for travel to college - invest in a medium-sized coolbag and a couple of small icepacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To be honest, I am sorely tempted to issue infractions here. The sticky on the first page of this forum clearly states...

NO FOOD SAFETY ADVICE IS ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM

Do not ask for it.
    Do not give it.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement