Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this appropriate behaviour from a TD?

• 27-09-2014 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly, this is not a political thread, I dont want to discuss the TD's political party, or their politics.

However, am I alone in thinking this behaviour by TD Frank Feighan is completely inappropriate?

He elbows, then almost makes a go for an elderly man (probably a pensioner).

I don't think an elected government minister who acts in this aggressive manner towards a member of the public should be in office, and quite frankly should be ashamed of himself.

Watch the video and judge for yourself.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/4ae2fbc4-9e39-41b2-8389-e5361917dd17

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Anyone that who manhandles an old person should be ashamed of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone that who manhandles an old person should be ashamed of themselves.

He looked quite pleased with himself afterwards tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

He tried to hustle Feighan out of the way. Feighan pushed back, somewhat excessively, sure, but he nor anyone is in any position to be outraged. You can't expect to push TD's around without retribution.

What did he expect to happen? If' he's that old an frail he shouldn't put himself in those situations in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wouldn't expect anything less from a TD. Lick the arse of his boss, no one else matters.

SuperOito wrote: »
    He tried to hustle Feighan out of the way. Feighan pushed back, somewhat excessively, sure, but he nor anyone is in any position to be outraged. You can't expect to push TD's around without retribution.

What did he expect to happen? If' he's that old an frail he shouldn't put himself in those situations in the first place.

We have been watching different videos it seems.

Watch it again from very start to very end of it.

Gives much more insight both before and afterwards. 

Before, you can see him (the assaulted) standing at the kerb (as he would be entitled to do,) even before the TD comes along. 

TD then walks over to be in front of him, at this point man in blue shoves him, right into Feighan, he then reaches out, places a hand on Feighans shoulder (he's clutching a leaflet or something) and Feighan puts the elbow into his ribs, at least twice and makes an aggressive pass at him also. 

I would also love to know who the big brave lad was that snatched him from behind, even though Enda Kenny was inside the building, and was well out of' harms way'.

If this was Coveney / Doherty / Martin / Flanagan /Wallace I'd be saying the same thing. 

It's funny how some people only see what they want to see. Move along, nothing to see here. 

Feighan himself would even disagree with you.
    In a statement, Mr Feighan apologised to Mr McDermott and admitted he overreacted.

The Fine Gael TD said: “Fine Gael members, families and their children had come to Roscommon Town to meet Taoiseach Enda Kenny. 

“Assessing the situation when he arrived, I formed the opinion that the Taoiseach was going to be confronted in an aggressive and physical manner.

“In hindsight, I misread the situation and overreacted in a tense situation.

“As a Fine Gael TD and a member of the Government, the public expects the highest standards.

“I regret if any actions of mine caused hurt to anybody especially the Hospital Action Committee candidate and former Roscommon senior county goalkeeper, John McDermott.”

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/td-frank-feighan-face-garda-4334470

An apology will undoubtedly make the assaulted' ribs feel better.

He needs to be sacked now. Like something we would expect from communist Russia tbh.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and it was the man elbowing the TD, no doubt that his head would called for by a baying mob.

• Advertisement

The guys a scumbag, there was no need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Personally, I think we should return to the days when members of parliament could hand out a few digs to the proletariat with impunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

We have been watching different videos it seems.

What I saw was a hand clutching a leaflet being placed on his shoulder.

Watch when the door of the car opens, the 'pensioner' starts pushing.
    The guys a scumbag, there was no need for it.

Unfortunately some old people think they can do what they want and when their actions turn against them they expect to be treated differently because their old.

I think he should take some responsibility. I agree it seemed somewhat excessive, but he's trying to get distance so he can open the door and let his boss out.

Not making excuses. Just the way I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

"TD" and "ashamed of themselves" are two things you never see in a sentence. Our elected officials are morally corrupt and completely above reproach.

Wallace, Flanagan, Lowry, Cooper-Flynn, the list goes on. All reprehensible people but completely shameless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Excessive all right, he looked like what a kid would when its annoyed though I was expecting a frail, old, almost-dead pensioner by the way people have been referring to the guy who was elbowed.

That article is cringe with it's emotive writing, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hail the leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The guy being pushed / elbowed is John McDermott an independent TD also running in the election

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pushing and elbowing people goes hand in hand with arrogant politics.
    Fine Gael have it in spades.

Unfortunately some old people think they can do what they want and when their actions turn against them they expect to be treated differently because their old.

I think he should take some responsibility. I agree it seemed somewhat excessive, but he's trying to get distance so he can open the door and let his boss out.

Would you think it's okay to shove a child out of the way? Older people aren't as strong as they once were. Had the guy behind not steadied the pensioner, he probably would have fallen, he could have broke a hip, or banged his head. It's not a 30something year old that could hold his own, it was a weaker older man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

If he ever loses the auld seat there's always a place for him in the Seanad.

I can't see it tbh.

Even in this 'better' video. That's most definitely not pushing Imo.

There's only one aggressor in the clip.

It ain't the older guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pretty much every sentence you wrote is making excuses for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

That 'pensioner' would be very upset at being described as elderly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Am I watching the same video?
    One man tries pushing past another man and get shoved back, possibly with a little too much force but not excessively. He's not exactly old either.
    The two of them were as bad as each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

At least he didn't pull a John Prescott

• Advertisement

I can't see it tbh.

Even in this 'better' video. That's most definitely not pushing Imo.

There's only one aggressor in the clip.

It ain't the older guy.

Bit of pushing on both sides.Youth wins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Gillo wrote: »
    One man tries pushing past another man and get shoved back, possibly with a little too much force but not excessively. He's not exactly old either.

He was pushing past to accost another pensioner who also happens to be the leader of the country. He would have got a bullet for his efforts in most countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

It's the perogative of the Local TD, to greet the Taoiseach, exiting from his car, to ensure his/her face gets on the News.

No one gets in the way, of his/her moment of fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

kneemos wrote: »
    Bit of pushing on both sides.Youth wins.

Looks to me like the guy in the blue shirt actually starts the pushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

How do ye think anyone gets on in Politics, you need sharp elbows, metaphorically and physically. It's a business for pushy fcukers.

I remember being at the ploughing when Ahearn was taoiseach and he was "walking" through the crowd with a big red head on him and all winning smiles. Ten feet ahead of him was a phalanx of big Gards, physically shoving the crowds aside so he could wander along all amicable and down to earthey. It's a career for gurriers in suits.

Watch it again.

Man with dark glasses and blue shirt.

Watch him from as soon as he comes into view. Let me know where shoving and pushing starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Absolute scumbag. Should be taken to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Garda need to step up security around An Taoiseach. It shouldnt be left to TD's to manage crowd control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Someone came barging behind him and he pushed back without seeing who it was. It could have been someone throwing an egg or paint for all he knew.

If it was Obama the guy would have been shot. I think it's a weak effort by the opposition to stir up site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Beaner1 wrote: »
    He was pushing past to accost another pensioner who also happens to be the leader of the country. He would have got a bullet for his efforts in most countries.

:rolleyes:

Someone came barging behind him and he pushed back without seeing who it was. It could have been someone throwing an egg or paint for all he knew.

If it was Obama the guy would have been shot. I think it's a weak effort by the opposition to stir up site .

The clip is from RTE :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

That video is embarrassing, the FG TD's actions are disgusting, but the general atmosphere and the behavior of the morons seen in the video are just the worst epitome of small town Ireland. That starstruck auld codger in the white coat swinging her camera around like the second coming of Christ has arrived. Fúcking hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Bull****. The guy tried to shove forward and got shoved back. Too much PC shyte about not being able to deal with people in the manner they attempt to deal with you. Your position is irrelevant: you don't become a target for every one with attitude just because of it. This old guy got what he needed. He should **** right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The lad with the leaflet, IMO, clearly tries to push his way through to the car. The resulting response from the TD was a bit over the top but nothing major and not something someone should resign over

• Advertisement

That starstruck auld codger in the white coat swinging her camera around like the second coming of Christ has arrived. Fúcking hell.

Say she creamed herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Nothing to get too worked up over, apart from the horrendous website design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This was my take as well.

You don't push in and try to get to someone before they are even out of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'd say if some innocent old codger started pawing at me like that I'd behave the same way. Or, at the very least, consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

The Garda need to step up security around An Taoiseach. It shouldnt be left to TD's to manage crowd control.

Yes, bollocks to murders and organized crime, that long streak o piss Enda Kenny needs more Gardai around him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Only one way to resolve this...

Jaysus the sensationalist thread title is a bit over the top too, "pensioner attacked" Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

"Man in his 50s pushes another man of roughly similiar age" probably wouldnt have garnered as many clicks.

The standard of journalism on that site is awful. The fact they were unable to figure out who the man involved was (despite the placards etc in the background) just shows they were more interested in getting their agenda across than actually reporting news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

matrim wrote: »
    Looks to me like the guy in the blue shirt actually starts the pushing.
    Which one? The video was full of fucking Blueshirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

The vitriol some people have for Enda Kenny is as fresh today as it was when they closed the hospital A&E in Roscommon. John McDermott (the pensioner) is going for election for the hospital action committee. That's basically his one policy- looking to get the hospital A&E reopened, which is a dead duck.

Feighan got a lot of hate from the hospital crowd too, this wasn't his first tango with John McDermott and won't be his last. Enda being in Roscommon wouldn't have helped his candidate further her chances. I'm afraid the Fianna Fáil candidate looks like he'll walk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

60-odd is elderly and frail when it suits, "the new 50" when it suits in other contexts.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Jaysus the sensationalist thread title is a bit over the top too, "pensioner attacked" Christ.

Edited.

Tbf, he looks in his 60s to me. Hence = pensioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

just another knacker but dressed in an expensive suit

Edited.

Tbf, he looks in his 60s to me. Hence = pensioner.

It wasn't the pensioner that got me it was the "attacked"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Elbow child Frank Feighan voted to downgrade Roscommon Hospital having got elected two months after promising this:

“Fine Gael is determined that its plan to retain and enhance services at hospitals like Roscommon will finally put a halt to this much-touted reconfiguration plan of hospitals in the West which essentially amounts to downgrading by stealth.”

Wearing a tie, so, forever classy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement