Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this appropriate behaviour from a TD?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The more I watch it, the more it appears the fat guy is supposed to be in charge of security of some sort, in which case he has done an awful job by not getting in the way of the car in the first place.

As for potential prosecutions though, if something similar happened at a traffic stop between some normal people it would get laughed out before ever going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Fine Gael are on fire this week from a PR perspective lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Billy86 wrote: »
    As for potential prosecutions though, if something similar happened at a traffic stop between some normal people it would get laughed out before ever going anywhere.

Only this was a thuggish TD on official business and paid by the taxpayers of this state.

Slight difference.

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Only this was a thuggish TD on official business and paid by the taxpayers of this state.

Slight difference.

Towards his chances or re-election or standing in his party, sure. Towards the law, no.

Towards his chances or re-election or standing in his party, sure. Towards the law, no.

AFAIK a complaint has been made to the Gardai. Assault is assault even if it was a minor one.

• Advertisement

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    AFAIK a complaint has been made to the Gardai. Assault is assault even if it was a minor one.

And like I said, it is not going to be taken seriously because it isn't serious as a legal matter. As a PR/electoral matter, whole different kettle of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

And like I said, it is not going to be taken seriously because it isn't serious as a legal matter. As a PR/electoral matter, whole different kettle of fish.

Why won't a case of assault be taken seriously?

There's video evidence, and an apology from the assailant in question.

Kinda gives Joe public free reign to elbow the shıte out of the guy in front of him in Tesco, just cos he doesn't fancy waiting in the queue tbh.

Why won't a case of assault be taken seriously?

There's video evidence, and an apology from the assailant in question.

Kinda gives Joe public free reign to elbow the shıte out of the guy in front of him in Tesco, just cos he doesn't fancy waiting in the queue tbh.

My point was that if that happened to you or me at the traffic lights or if I walked past them to a taxi they had hailed, it was on video and I had their name and address, it would not be taken as anything seriously.

Nice use of hyperbole though.

[QUOTE=Billy86;92383320 ]My point was that if that happened to you or me at the traffic lights or if I walked past them to a taxi they had hailed, it was on video and I had their name and address, it would not be taken as anything seriously. [/QUOTE]

try it out so. I don't fancy my chances.

Nice use of hyperbole though.

Hyperbole. Another word that needs to be banned around here tbh.

try it out so. I don't fancy my chances.

Hyperbole. Another word that needs to be banned around here tbh.
    I'm not an eejit like the two TDs in the video, so why would I?

And hyperbole itself is something that would be better off banning instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Firstly, this is not a political thread, I dont want to discuss the TD's political party, or their politics.

However, am I alone in thinking this behaviour by TD Frank Feighan is completely inappropriate?

no. its poor behaviour all right.

I'm not an eejit like the two TDs in the video, so why would I?

And hyperbole itself is something that would be better off banning instead.

I didn't infer you were an eejit tbh.

Just pointing out the gards may not turn a blind eye to mere plebs assaulting each other.

I didn't infer you were an eejit tbh.

Just pointing out the gards may not turn a blind eye to mere plebs assaulting each other.

Didn't mean to infer you did - I just think all involved in the incident here come out looking worse for it than before. I just don't think the Gards or courts would treat this incident seriously, it wasn't like it was a vicious attack - would likely be at most given a slap on the wrist for antisocial behaviour or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ah here, hang em and get it over with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I honestly he is telling the truth when he says he misjudged the situation and over-reacted. A criminal prosecution seems over the top IMO. And I've never voted FG in my life. Of course, if the man had stumbled and become injured, it would be a different matter and serious consequences would ensue. It is not a straightforward matter like in the Prescott case. Disgraceful that Prescott was not prosecuted for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

The folk who reckon this is much 'ado about nothing' how would you feel if it was your own father/other family member involved?

I know if he put the elbow into my father like in that video, I'd break his two fcuking legs.

Publicly/privately. I'd not be too fussed tbh.

You are a sinn fein supporter if I recall correctly. Members of that party did a lot more than elbow people.
    Save your outrage over a non-incident

You are a sinn fein supporter if I recall correctly. Members of that party did a lot more than elbow people.

Sure maybe the old fella he assaulted is a 'shinner' too....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I have to say i'm surprised that a member of FG has come out so fast and admitted he was wrong. It usually takes months to drag a half hearted apology (if it ever comes).

A fright to be carrying on like that in front of little children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

A hell of a lot of people who previously had no interest in politics are now SF supporters. Established parties should be concerned.

"Sure aren't you a SF supporter?" Isn't ready much of a riposte, is it?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

emo72 wrote: »
    A hell of a lot of people who previously had no interest in politics are now SF supporters. Established parties should be concerned.

"Sure aren't you a SF supporter?" Isn't ready much of a riposte, is it?

I'm not even near to being a SF supporter, but I agree with Banjo String. Usually I'd take these stories with a pinch of salt but the video says it all.

Feighan completely overreacted. That was no way for a TD, or any member of parliament in a western country, to be behaving.

I'm not even near to being a SF supporter, but I agree with Banjo String. Usually I'd take these stories with a pinch of salt but the video says it all.

Feighan completely overreacted. That was no way for a TD, or any member of parliament in a western country, to be behaving.

I also take these stories with a pinch of salt... sorry that's it, as I said, it's a nothing story.

Some lad pushes another and gets pushed back. The end.

SF supporter or not? , are you now justifying violence? Been 20 years since SF walked away from violence.

A video of the incident has spread across social media today, sparking outrage among the public who have described Mr Feighan’s actions as “shameful” “embarrassing” and “disgraceful”

FG. Transparent and no stroking whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I also take these stories with a pinch of salt... sorry that's it, as I said, it's a nothing story.

Except he wasn't some lad, he was a TD. That's why it's a "big" deal.

I agree it's not exactly life changing, and a prosecution would be ridiculous, but I'd expect better from someone elected by the people.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

You should be replacing 'some lad' with "elected government official."

#dontshootthemesenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 187187

When a Country votes in a corrupt party one after another our sons and daughters future are f**ked beyond believe unless they emigrate.

The only appropriate behaviour from any TD is to serve the serve the people who pay their taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

SF supporter or not? , are you now justifying violence? Been 20 years since SF walked away from violence.

FG. Transparent and no stroking whatsoever.

20yrs or not they are still lead by a man who justified blowing children to bits as ok cause it was an "armed struggle". Forgive me if I think that,s slightly more disgusting than two grown men pushing each other.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭EmilyHoward

I've just read the first post, watched the video, then straight to end of thread. Can someone tell me why we're talking about sinn fein now? Safe to say I'm completely lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

I've just read the first post, watched the video, then straight to end of thread. Can someone tell me why we're talking about sinn fein now?

Because some people want to drag it off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think the context of why the "frail" "elderly" "victim" was trying to get at enda is important here. This guy is seeking election and was trying to pull a publicity stunt by getting up in enda's grill. If you want to invade people's personal space you should expect to be repaid in kind with interest.

No love for enda btw, he has proven himself beyond doubt in the last few days to be a grubby stroke politician who needs to go.

I've just read the first post, watched the video, then straight to end of thread. Can someone tell me why we're talking about sinn fein now? Safe to say I'm completely lost.

If anything negative is said about FG the usual retort is "sure you are a SF supporter".

During the heights of the troubles SF were told if they wanted to come into the political system they would have to give up violence. They did.

The situation is a million times better today.

I sometimes get the impression that it would be better for the established parties if SF never gave up the armed struggle.

If anything negative is said about FG the usual retort is "sure you are a SF supporter".

During the heights of the troubles SF were told if they wanted to come into the political system they would have to give up violence. They did.

I sometimes get the impression that it would be better for the established parties if SF never gave up the armed struggle.

Agreed.

It would suit them just fine if the peace process broke down and the PIRA stated up again.
    The flaming type comments regularly spouted by burton and kenny in Dail Eireann are DISGUSTING.

20yrs or not they are still lead by a man who justified blowing children to bits as ok cause it was an "armed struggle". Forgive me if I think that,s slightly more disgusting than two grown men pushing each other.

Adams??

The most popular political leader in the land who's the head of the fastest growing political party in the land?

A fair percentage of the Irish electorate must condone what went on during the troubles so.

If you want to get into what went on during the troubles and Sinn Fein's part in bringing all that to an end, start a thread on it and stop dragging this one, on a blueshirt assaulting an elderly man, off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

From the Indo link earlier:
    McDermott said that he has yet to receive an apology.

“It’s been 24 hours now and Mr Feighan has made no contact with me.

“If he did apologise I would have to think about whether to accept it or not. What happened there, that kind of attack wouldn’t happen on a rugby pitch,” he added.

Give it a rest man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Because we have already done Godwins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And they're off :rolleyes:

So anyway, how about showing us the point in the video where the ould lad pushes frank?

You've already been told this "pushing each other" is a load of guff so knock it off or back it up, theres a good lad.

Disgusting? It was worse than that. Horrific doesn't even come close to the monstrosities committed. But it's over. Thank God. It's great to wake up and not hear about people being blown up on a daily basis and not being phased by it because you were used to it.

We had the best possible solution to the issue. Adams, Paisley and the lot of them moved forward. Can you?

I hated them with a vengeance.

FG are looking like aggressive bullies now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Bring back Fianna Fáil. Daycent bunch of chaps they were.

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    Bring back Fianna Fáil. Daycent bunch of chaps they were.

You have me convinced. FF all is forgiven HAHA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I sometimes vote SF because I have found the local councillor listens to what I might have to say and gets back to me, it's the councillors that are the hard workers in SF.

The policies that SF are pushing in the Dail are off the wall and would never work,plus Adams is their weak point in any arguement about them having moved away from violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If you've just joined us, folks, this thread is not about SF.

This has been a party political broadcast on behalf of "Elbows" Feighan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mikom wrote: »
    Elbow child Frank Feighan voted to downgrade Roscommon Hospital having got elected two months after promising this:

“Fine Gael is determined that its plan to retain and enhance services at hospitals like Roscommon will finally put a halt to this much-touted reconfiguration plan of hospitals in the West which essentially amounts to downgrading by stealth.”

Wearing a tie, so, forever classy.

The reality of a situation being different when you involved rather than looking on from the outside is hardly something new to politics or a lot of other situations.

If SF somehow manage to get in to power in the next GE lets see how much of the "cut all taxes and charges and everyone will be rich" policies have to change . My guess is the single biggest series of backtracks in political history.

Much like all the independent poster up for the election in Dublin. All of them running on the "axe the water charge" ticket knowing full well they wont have the power to do anything if they get elected and itll be going ahead regardless. But sure as long as they throw out a soundbite in a speech every few weeks about how evil the charges are theyre doing their bit for the salary they collect. In essence they are liars like any other.

Incidentally,did rushing the car to shove the leaflet in Kennys face really need to be done or could he have waited and calmly approached him later or sent it too him or visited him elsewhere? Though of course it has the "unfortunate" side effect of creating situations like in the video. Call me cynical...........

The reality of a situation being different when you involved rather than looking on from the outside is hardly something new to politics or a lot of other situations.

If SF somehow manage to get in to power in the next GE lets see how much of the "cut all taxes and charges and everyone will be rich" policies have to change . My guess is the single biggest series of backtracks in political history.

this thread has got nothing to do with SF or their policies?

Is that you Enda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If SF somehow manage to get in to power in the next GE

* Drives elbow through computer screen.

Right this is how this is gonna work for me from now on.........

In my head SF will now be subbed by the word "derailment" in all threads not directly about SF.

If derailment somehow manage to get in to power in the next GE lets see how much of the "cut all taxes and charges and everyone will be rich" policies have to change . My guess is the single biggest series of backtracks in political history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

this thread has got nothing to do with SF or their policies?

Did it have anything to do with the man is questions vote on a hospital that I was replying to? Cos that was in here too.

Realistically, they are the only party of a size that could form part of a government (that aren't part of the considered "established" that have already been in power) so I think its legitimate to mention them in discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Never mind TD, that's no way for a normal adult to behave. Even I was a schoolkid getting onto the bus in a crowd we didn't behave like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

so how come endahadn't a garda there to open the door?
    are these guys living in such a brainless headspace, that they think that all the electorate are going to greet them with cap in hand?

this country is slowly being returned to the days where politicians expected and were treated like they mattered.

the man should have had more sense than attempt to go near the car, but the TD guy was well out of line.
    lest they forget, this isnt Putin's Russia and thank heavens for press/cameras/public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Anyone that who manhandles an old person should be ashamed of themselves.

Not really true

• Advertisement
Advertisement