Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a Canon 1200d?

• 27-09-2014 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭

I have an Olympus e-500 that I got about 9 years ago, which only goes up to ISO 1200 and is fairly noisy at anything above 200 or 400 so I'm looking to upgrade. I can get the 1200D for 415e on expansys, should I go for it or is there another camera I should buy instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The 1200D should be a nice upgrade, depending on what Body / lens combo you are looking at it may be slightly cheaper from amazon at the moment http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B00IE3UR08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411813673&sr=8-1&keywords=1200D

The next step up in the canon lineup would be the 100D which would start at about 500 again depending on what body / lens combo you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

I have an Olympus e-500 that I got about 9 years ago, which only goes up to ISO 1200 and is fairly noisy at anything above 200 or 400 so I'm looking to upgrade. I can get the 1200D for 415e on expansys, should I go for it or is there another camera I should buy instead?

The Nikon d3200 is around the same price and has a better sensor so will give you better image quality and better ISO performance. I am a canon user myself so this isn't bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

candytog wrote: »
    The Nikon d3200 is around the same price and has a better sensor so will give you better image quality and better ISO performance. I am a canon user myself so this isn't bias.

Might as well get the 3300 so?

Might as well get the 3300 so?

Yea actually, woops, see as a canon user I'm not used to all these updgrades lol

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Yea actually, woops, see as a canon user I'm not used to all these updgrades lol

Canon upgrade every year! With such useful improvements as... umm... y'know, eh... the thing... hmm.

Well they definitely change the numbers and price anyway.

• Advertisement

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Canon upgrade every year! With such useful improvements as... umm... y'know, eh... the thing... hmm.

Well they definitely change the numbers and price anyway.

Not in full frame.. :p

Canon 6d
    Canon 5d mark 3

Nikon d600
    Nikon d610
    Nikon d750 (d620)
    Nikon d800
    Nikon d800e
    Nikon d810

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Well I'm sure the MKIV will be along soon with such amazing improvements as a slightly larger screen and go-faster stripes.

They are actually taking the you-know-what recently with their 'upgrades'.

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Well I'm sure the MKIV will be along soon with such amazing improvements as a slightly larger screen and go-faster stripes.

They are actually taking the you-know-what recently with their 'upgrades'.

I feckin hope so cas it'll bring down the used price on the mark 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Do you take a lot of night shots, or shots in situations where the limit of ISO 1200 has let you down, or has it only been a handful of photos that have been a problem ( be honest!)?

If purchasing a new camera with feature x will ensure you consistently get shots you were missing due to a limitation of your old gear, go for it. If its down to a handful of photos where feature x may have been handy, I would save my money.

Its so easy to get caught up in the world of new features, higher ISO, pixel peeping at 200% looking for aberrations etc, but as i have learned myself after going through a LOT of cameras, its all excuses to have that just bought feeling and not be using "obsolete" technology for a few months.

Actually getting out, taking pictures is what gets us (me anyway) better pictures. In situations where the camera is not capable of capturing exactly what i want, then i use that situation to look at the scene differently and see if there is a different way i can capture the feeling of the moment.

So if the new camera will save you tons and tons of opportunities you would have missed, maybe its worth it. Only you can assess that though.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Do you take a lot of night shots, or shots in situations where the limit of ISO 1200 has let you down, or has it only been a handful of photos that have been a problem ( be honest!)?

If purchasing a new camera with feature x will ensure you consistently get shots you were missing due to a limitation of your old gear, go for it. If its down to a handful of photos where feature x may have been handy, I would save my money.

Its so easy to get caught up in the world of new features, higher ISO, pixel peeping at 200% looking for aberrations etc, but as i have learned myself after going through a LOT of cameras, its all excuses to have that just bought feeling and not be using "obsolete" technology for a few months.

Actually getting out, taking pictures is what gets us (me anyway) better pictures. In situations where the camera is not capable of capturing exactly what i want, then i use that situation to look at the scene differently and see if there is a different way i can capture the feeling of the moment.

So if the new camera will save you tons and tons of opportunities you would have missed, maybe its worth it. Only you can assess that though.

I'd say if it's fairly noisy around ISO 200-400 that's gonna seriously limit somebody who knows what ISO is. I know the "it's not the camera" argument but once you have reached and understand the limitations of your gear, that is a good time to updgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

I'd say if it's fairly noisy around ISO 200-400 that's gonna seriously limit somebody who knows what ISO is. I know the "it's not the camera" argument but once you have reached and understand the limitations of your gear, that is a good time to updgrade.

I completely agree, but from experience, money and new gear are thrown at the issue long before the camera is the limitation. I'm just bringing that point up so it's considered. I see this with my family, my friends and particularly myself at one stage. If actual progress is not seen l, a fake sense of progress can be bought with new gear. That fake progress and satisfaction doesn't last though.

If the camera is indeed the limitation then yea, get a new camera that has features that make that bottleneck disappear.

Advertisement