Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird taste since water meter installed?

• 27-09-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

On the north side of the city. Water meter recently installed while I was away on holiday. Since our return there's been an odd metallic taste from the tap water. Anyone else notice something similar? It's put me off drinking it....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Loweface

Are you sure it's not a chlorine taste?

I imagine they would have to up the level of sanitising chemicals while the works are underway.

(Purely a guess though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'd take metallic, or chlorine. I've got an upfront bouquet of "wet golden retriever", giving way to a lingering aftertaste of "building site bucket".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I'd take metallic, or chlorine. I've got an upfront bouquet of "wet golden retriever", giving way to a lingering aftertaste of "building site bucket".
    Is this just since the meter installation?

Girlfriend reckons it tastes mouldy rather than metallic. No idea why she knows what mould tastes like (perhaps it's close to wet dog?)

All I know is we have been drinking tea or bottled water since our return.

Perhaps it's totally unrelated to the meter. I read online that if you are away for an extended period of time the pipes in the house can literally get mouldy.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

I was saying it to the wife that our water has tasted funny since they installed the meters and that was a few months ago now. Think I might invest in a brita jug filter or something like that.

Is this just since the meter installation?.
    Not directly linked to meter fitting in my opinion.
    Used to live near top of fr russell road well before water meters, water was manky wet dog tasting off and on. This is the same, but stronger taste and more prolonged instance of it.

Just at my kitchen sink now, wet leaves, musty, mouldy could be better descriptions of what I'm choosing to call wet dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I was complaining about the exact same thing after there was work done to the water supply in my area (kimmage).

A kind of metallic taste. I initially thought it smelled funny too. My brother maintains i'm imagining things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

This could be due to the meter installation. If they turned the mains supply off to a whole area then they would have disturbed the crap that slowly gets deposited inside the water mains pipes. What happens is all the fine crap in the water settles down in the pipes with the normal flow, when that flow is stopped then suddenly turned back on then there is a rush of water that stirs it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I too have been using a Brita filter since they worked in my area over 8 months at first I was blaming a cheap kettle the gf had bought but changing that changed nothing...definitely something they did ...and as I said it has been months I used to have lovely water before hand. Now I filter it all before use in my kettle for tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

I wonder is there a kit that you can buy to check the quality of water. I know you can buy strips to check the hardness of the water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

How do you know if a meter has been installed for your property ?

How do you know if a meter has been installed for your property ?
    They'll have made **** of the pavement outside your house and there'll be a new square cover with the words "Water Meter" on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've the same out in Castletroy, an odd musty taste from the water. I'd prefer a chlorine bouquet as that at least will evaporate off. It's definitely new within the past few months, and it's annoying me and I'm likely to have to get some form of jug filter for the water as a result.

One of my relatives is in water treatment, must ask them about the possible causes of this.

Popoutman wrote: »
    I've the same out in Castletroy, an odd musty taste from the water. I'd prefer a chlorine bouquet as that at least will evaporate off. It's definitely new within the past few months, and it's annoying me and I'm likely to have to get some form of jug filter for the water as a result.

One of my relatives is in water treatment, must ask them about the possible causes of this.
    Tried to drink a glass again on Friday. Definite nasty taste. Water used to be perfect. I've resorted to bottled water. If I am going to pay for it anyway might as well have something drinkable.

Seems the price of bottled water has dropped recently thankfully. 2 litres of volvic for 1 euro in dunnes. Lots of other offers on water too.

Popoutman wrote: »
    Algae? Too much excrement/fertilizer, not enough chlorine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Algae? Too much excrement/fertilizer, not enough chlorine?

When we had the wet dog taste in the water it was due to a cock up at the treatment plant. There was aerobic decomposition of muck that had been caught up in the sand filter due to poor maintenance.

Advertisement