Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iCloud not syncing / backing anything up....?

• 27-09-2014 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

For some reason, although I have selected for everything in my phone to be backed up to the cloud, the only thing that is actually backing up is my contacts. The 5GB of free cloud storage I have is showing up as only 200mb used so this confirms it for me...

Most importantly, when I use my laptop, rather than my iphone to log on on to icloud.com and view whats being backed up, photos does not even appear as an option in the account which is really what I want to be backed up the most..

Anyone any ideas what could be causing this??
    How can I get everything to start syncing... ?

Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Backing up to iCloud and syncing to iCloud are two different things. A backup can only be restored in full onto an iOS device. The contents of it are otherwise not accessible. Syncing is only for certain things, such as contacts, bookmarks, documents, etc.

The way photo syncing works is currently in flux. Previously photos were not synced with iCloud, though recently taken photos were accessible via Photostream which kept the last 30 days worth of photos. This wasn’t taken out of your iCloud storage. However, with iOS 8 Apple have introduced iCloud Photo Library which will sync your photos with all your devices, but it’s currently in beta, so there’s no web app at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

I see.... This raises one or two questions though..

As per a full backup of my phone`s information, how can i ever be sure that it is fully backed up successfully if i cant physically see it on my cloud account?

With the "iCloud Photo Library" ... This does not appear within my icloud anywhere? Also the fact that my iphone is the only apple device I have, does this kind of make this feature redundant for me.... is it to suggest that there is currently no where for me to back up my photos... not even itunes??

Thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

subscriber wrote: »
    I see.... This raises one or two questions though..

As per a full backup of my phone`s information, how can i ever be sure that it is fully backed up successfully if i cant physically see it on my cloud account?
    You can’t, but I wouldn’t worry about it. Maybe just make sure the photos are synced somewhere as well. Either in iTunes or Dropbox or something. At least until iCloud Photo Library is ready.

And it’s not a full backup. Settings, app data photos, etc are included, but media such as music is excluded. As are apps, which have to be re-downloaded from the App Store or re-synced from iTunes. But this should happen automatically after restoring from backup.
    With the "iCloud Photo Library" ... This does not appear within my icloud anywhere?
    Currently, no. But Apple appear to be working on a web app, so iCloud Photo Library should appear on iCloud.com when it’s launched. Although after the recent nudegate scandal this might be delayed. I don’t see the need for it personally.
    Also the fact that my iphone is the only apple device I have, does this kind of make this feature redundant for me.... is it to suggest that there is currently no where for me to back up my photos... not even itunes??

Photos taken on the device are included in the iCloud and iTunes backup. And you can sync them to your computer using iTunes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

You can’t, but I wouldn’t worry about it. Maybe just make sure the photos are synced somewhere as well. Either in iTunes or Dropbox or something. At least until iCloud Photo Library is ready.

And it’s not a full backup. Settings, app data photos, etc are included, but media such as music is excluded. As are apps, which have to be re-downloaded from the App Store or re-synced from iTunes. But this should happen automatically after restoring from backup.

Currently, no. But Apple appear to be working on a web app, so iCloud Photo Library should appear on iCloud.com when it’s launched. Although after the recent nudegate scandal this might be delayed. I don’t see the need for it personally.

Photos taken on the device are included in the iCloud and iTunes backup. And you can sync them to your computer using iTunes as well.

Very useful sir thank you,

I find it fascinating that photos are included in a standard backup considering their the main thing taking up storage on my phone... If apple were to count my photos as some my my sync data on the cloud, i would most certainly have to rent more cloud space from them for a monthly cost.... and I would to.

Alas, my photos are the one thing that I would like to be able to physically see on the cloud to make double sure that they are all fully backed up correctly...

Advertisement