Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin marathon elite Field

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

pconn062 wrote: »
    Without meaning to sound too critical because I am a fan of the Dublin marathon in general, the Facebook page for DCM this year seems to be primarily focusing on "inspirational stories" about various people running the marathon for charity. I have seen very little about the elite end of the race and especially the National championships. This is indicative of athletics in Ireland and to me it's a real shame. I realise they are targeting their biggest audience, the fun-runners, but the National Championship should be a bigger deal than it is.

Boards moderator has inside scoop re elite field from overworked DM organiser, and complains about it not being on Facebook.

In da good olde days we'd be printing extra copies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Boards moderator has inside scoop re elite field from overworked DM organiser, and complains about it not being on Facebook.

In da good olde days we'd be printing extra copies!

I appreciate the info we've gotten here from Hardworker, however, boards.ie is a small community. I believe this info should be publicised as much as possible and (unfortunately) Facebook is the best way to reach large numbers and generate interest. We need to move away from the minority sport mentality and the fact that we can have ten posts about Mary running in memory of her Dad I think one post about the top Irish runners competing is not asking too much. But maybe, like all former Mods, I'm just turning into a narky, cynical bastard. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Late addition to the elite field:

Eliud Kibet Too (Kenya)

Finished 3rd in his debut half-marathon in Indianapolis back in May (62.36)
    Finished 2nd in his debut full-marathon in Cleveland, also in May (2.13.35)

http://www.all-athletics.com/node/972339

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

pconn062 wrote: »
    I appreciate the info we've gotten here from Hardworker, however, boards.ie is a small community. I believe this info should be publicised as much as possible and (unfortunately) Facebook is the best way to reach large numbers and generate interest. We need to move away from the minority sport mentality and the fact that we can have ten posts about Mary running in memory of her Dad I think one post about the top Irish runners competing is not asking too much. But maybe, like all former Mods, I'm just turning into a narky, cynical bastard. :)

I wouldn't worry about it pconn. I totally agree with you.

And regards out former mod, he has a hard ass attitude here but a much softer accepting side of weak ass performance in general on the tri forum. But don't worry I'll remind him how much of a hypocrite he is tomorrow, to his face ;) looking forward to pints KG :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Cracking run by Bazman today, 2.22 for second in the National Champs. And Maria McCambridge has to have had the run of the day, 2nd and overall in one of her fastest times in years, great running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

Don't think many would have predicted the exact order of the Irish mens top 3. I had the money down on Gary OHanlon and McGinley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    I just checked the profiles of the female 'elites' there and Maria MCCambridges stats this year (specifically her HM time this year) is by far the best. She is great value at 7/1, just stuck €30 on her.

So Close :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Don't think many would have predicted the exact order of the Irish mens top 3. I had the money down on Gary OHanlon and McGinley

GOH never had a hope of winning Nationals today. Money down the drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I see my losing outright male winner bets got refunded by PP. Must have been because of the late introduction of the winner to the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I see my losing outright male winner bets got refunded by PP. Must have been because of the late introduction of the winner to the field.

Happy days! Had a tenner on Sokolov at 12/1, now refunded :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

Chivito550 wrote: »
    GOH never had a hope of winning Nationals today. Money down the drain.

He had a very disrupted week leading up to the race so his focus wasnt on the race according to his Facebook page. Dont think he had a watch in the race so might not have been able to regulate the pace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Watched the race at three spots on the course..Safronov really went for it, couldnt really see him hanging on and so it proved. The first two home looked very strong on Merrion Road , as did Sergei and Sokolov . Excellent finishes by Minnock and Eoin Flynn. Mccambridge must have put in a huge last mile, she was a good 100 metres back at 24.5 miles. Most runners were probably a couple of mins off their plan with the swirling winds and warm day, a lot of wrecked bodies in last couple of miles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

He had a very disrupted week leading up to the race so his focus wasnt on the race according to his Facebook page. Dont think he had a watch in the race so might not have been able to regulate the pace.

Sergiu is a 2:15 runner at his best. GOH is not in that league. He was never going to come close, and no amount of watch drama changes that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Sergiu is a 2:15 runner at his best. GOH is not in that league. He was never going to come close, and no amount of watch drama changes that.

I saw the race at 4 and 9.5 mile. Safronov was well clear at both points. Sergio was in the chasing group at 4 but had fallen off at 9.5. Bazman was staying out of trouble running a smart race early on with Gary OH and a couple of others. At 9.5 Bazman looked the strongest in that group and you could see from him that he felt things were going well. I wasn't suprised to hear he finished up second in a great time considering all his injuries. I wouldnt have been suprised to hear he won the national champs but Sergio is a tough runner too.

Safronov, finishing 3rd, ran the first half 2 mins faster and the second 2 mins slower than 1st and 2nd. Unlike the two lads he had no shelter from the wind. Going out hard and solo on such a day looked like a tactical error.
    A more cautious approach might have been better in hindsight. A sub 2:10 in London shows has has the class and a second place fast finish in hot conditions in the Fukuoka marathon showed he would have the guile to come out on top in that company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Cheers for the info. I collected on the Womens winner, but had losing bet on Kimutai. PP didn't pay out for me though. I reckon I will pay them another visit later on. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

The first two home ran negative splits and looked very strong in the Merrion Road. Good article in the Times yesterday on winner, Eliud Too, he has links with Le Cheile AC and was in Ireland for a couple of weeks pre race . Cant post the link as I am too new ! its pasted below

''If Too was a somewhat surprise winner he didn’t necessarily see it that way. He wasn’t even listed among the elite runners, entering himself like everybody else. Yet he certainly looked the part, and comfortable at the finish, immediately paying tribute to Fleming, and Le Chéile AC, whose club singlet he wore to victory.
    It’s a slightly roundabout story: Fleming, who now works in exercise physiology at Indiana University, credits one of his American students, James Walters, for first discovering Too, after he went to Kenya on a student placement.
    “There are so many Kenyans running in Iten, so many fall through the cracks, and Too is really an unpolished diamond,” explained Fleming. “He ran the Cleveland Marathon last May, finishing second, and when it came to his second marathon Dublin was perfect. He’s been staying with my parents in Leixlip for the last two weeks. He’s not officially a Le Chéile member, but an honorary member, definitely.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was wondering why he wasn't down as the National Champ actually when I saw pics of him in a Le Cheile singlet (and barcelona shorts? think it was him I saw in Barcelona shorts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I was wondering why he wasn't down as the National Champ actually when I saw pics of him in a Le Cheile singlet (and barcelona shorts? think it was him I saw in Barcelona shorts)

So you remember him then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

yaboya1 wrote: »
    So you remember him then?

Of course. Some people are memorable, some are best wiped from memory... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

That was Lezan Kimutai in the Barcelona shorts (& an Athenry AC singlet). I had a good giggle when I spotted him in those shorts after all the sh!te talk we all do about having the right running gear.

I think there's rules that you need to be classed as an Irish resident or hold an Irish passport to qualify for the Nat Champs?? Kimutai & Peter Brandon are both registered members with Athenry but neither were entered into the Nat Champs as they don't have a full time base here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

youngrun wrote: »
    The first two home ran negative splits and looked very strong in the Merrion Road. Good article in the Times yesterday on winner, Eliud Too, he has links with Le Cheile AC and was in Ireland for a couple of weeks pre race . Cant post the link as I am too new ! its pasted below

''If Too was a somewhat surprise winner he didn’t necessarily see it that way. He wasn’t even listed among the elite runners, entering himself like everybody else. Yet he certainly looked the part, and comfortable at the finish, immediately paying tribute to Fleming, and Le Chéile AC, whose club singlet he wore to victory.
    It’s a slightly roundabout story: Fleming, who now works in exercise physiology at Indiana University, credits one of his American students, James Walters, for first discovering Too, after he went to Kenya on a student placement.
    “There are so many Kenyans running in Iten, so many fall through the cracks, and Too is really an unpolished diamond,” explained Fleming. “He ran the Cleveland Marathon last May, finishing second, and when it came to his second marathon Dublin was perfect. He’s been staying with my parents in Leixlip for the last two weeks. He’s not officially a Le Chéile member, but an honorary member, definitely.”

Eliud and his Team of James Walker and Neil Flemming actually had this event on his radar from a long way out.
    They were in touch for an invitation letter and had entered the Athlone 3/4 Marathon back in June but unfortunately he did not make it over here in time to do the race :(

701 Too Eliud M Sen

I had a super vantage point as one of the Elite Irish Men bike marshals and the race was fascinating to watch up close.

The pre-race talk was of Sergiu going out hard and the race being probably for second unless he blew up which he did not as we now know.
    Mc Ginley was thought to be the one with most potential and personally I thought that Gary O Hanlon might be well placed to go well after his new course record when well clear of Bazman in Athlone.

From the off Sergiu was away and was tucked in nicely taking shelter in a group of 10 behind the early suicide paced leader.
    About 30 secs behind exiting the park at Castleknock was a chasing group of 4.
    Gary O was with Bazman, an English lad (Cornthwaithe) and one of the Kenyans (Kimutai) confusingly running in the Barca shorts and Athenry AC Singlet :eek:
    Gap of 10 - 15 sec then to group of 4 Irish - Paddy Hamilton, Ed Mc Ginley, Eoin Flynn and Brian Maher.

Main chase group's pace went up dramatically on the run down towards Knackmaroon Gate entrance to the Park and Sergiu got detached, re-attached and then detached again as group fragmented.

The Irish men's chasing groups remained "as was" until climb up from Chapelizod where Maher was the first to get dropped from his group of 4 and he quickly faded from contention.
    Flynn also fell off the pace a bit (Or in hindsight he probably just stuck to his own pace plan) as Annadale clubmates Mc Ginley and Hamilton bridged the gap up to O Hanlon and Minnock's group.

Minnock made a decisive break coming into Terenure to much approval from his Rathfarnham clubmates cheering on and this stretched the group with O Hanlon looking most likely to be able to remain in touch but he then suffered cramp problems and dropped back.
    Minnock was soon building a good gap from there to home and never looked in trouble for the silver again once he met the slightly hilly section up Miltown and Clonskeagh in particular.

On the climb up Clonskeagh and Roebuck Roads Hamilton looked strongest contender for the bronze and he moved clear coming onto the N11 but he surprisingly tied up coming into Ballsbridge (40k) as Mc Ginley and the ever patient Flynn both passed him and setup for their sprint finish.
    Mg Ginley had a lead with 500m to go but Flynn took bronze by a couple of seconds after a well measured effort.
    Hamilton was next in with O Hanlon back in 6th

It was real honest, sometimes tactical and always whole hearted racing from some great Irish runners.
    Was a great privilege to see them all in action at a pace that most of us might struggle to keep for a km or two let alone 42+ of them :)

Advertisement