Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming missed opportunities

Options
  • 27-09-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭

Pretty much what the title says. what do you think was a big (or small) missed opportunity in gaming?

personally for me, Lucasrts pretty much dropping the Jedi Knight series when it was doing so well (and essentially replacing it with the Force Unleashed series).

The Wii never getting a Time Crisis collection (ala the house of the dead). The system is perfect for light guns and with the phasing out of CRT tv's, the games could become lost to history.

Microsofts steadfast refusal to allow cross-platform play pretty much killing off Final Fantasy XIV on the 360.

anyone else have any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Not getting Battlefront 3 sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Blizzard waiting until after LoL and DOTA2 to jump on the MOBA wagon.
    What were they thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

This one has stayed with me since 1994.

Turtle tournament fighters on the Megadrive.

Who the **** are Ray and Sisyphus? and why aren't they Bebop, Rocksteady, Splinter, Baxter Stockman, The rat king or the freakin Shredder?

Since when is April able to go toe to toe with the Turtles?

Why am I fighting purple turtles in backgrounds from I have no idea where?

Cowabanga?

Why aren't we fighting in the sewer, technodrome, channel 6 rooftop, New York streets or any of the other various classic Turtles locales? The backgrounds provided have nothing to do with the Turtles!

I actually like the game, but it could have been so, so much more. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Turtles tournament fighters on the megadrive was utter ****e. So annoyed when I got it and it was so bad when the SNES game was so good. Pretty sure it was more based on the comics than the tv show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,579 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Having loved Fighters Megamix on the Saturn, a greatest hits compilation of Segas fighting games, with arenas and characters from disparate games fighting each other, it was a pity the favour was never done for Sega's rich racing game heritage as well.
    I would have loved to have seen at least a port of the various great titles, to an arcade perfect standard, of Daytona, Scud Racer, Manx TT Super Bike, Sega Rally and Virtua Racing to name just a few.
    I know that later Sega Rally got an almost perfect port on the PS2, and Daytona popped up on XBLA and PSN in perfect condition, but back in the day I really could have done with a collection like the one described, and with GT Driving Force compatibility while they were at it!
    Come on Sega!
    There's still time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Sega executive that destroyed the Panzer Dragoon Saga source code out of spite meaning most people will never be able to play one of the greatest games ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Sega executive that destroyed the Panzer Dragoon Saga source code out of spite meaning most people will never be able to play one of the greatest games ever made.

What's this about? What a dick!

krudler wrote: »
    What's this about? What a dick!

Yeah came out in an issue of retrogamer. People knew the source code was lost but not how. Apparently the director asked for people from the saga team to help out in his project while they were deep in development of saga. They refused to let him take people off the team so destroyed the source code after the game was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sega Dreamcast & SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color being under supported & pulled off the market too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Hold crap! one of the things i meant to put in the OP but forgot about was that i'd love for PDS to come to steam...I never knew about this.
    Yeah came out in an issue of retrogamer
    What issue was it, do you know? I'd love to read up on it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ArPharazon

I always regretted that I never played Pilotwings 64, Goemon and Hybrid Heaven on N64.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

ArPharazon wrote: »
    I always regretted that I never played Pilotwings 64, Goemon and Hybrid Heaven on N64.

Pilotwings 64 was awesome! A real showcase for the hardware. I bet it looks like ass today mind.

Off to youtube now to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Here's a couple of random ones off the top of my head. There are plenty of other specific game examples but these ones particularly grate for various reasons.

Stranglehold.
    Deus Ex: Invisible War
    Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Lair.
    John Romero never really getting the chance to make anyone his bitch.
    Capcom not releasing the Mega Man and Mega Man X Collection titles outside of NA.
    Nintendo continued refusal to monetise their back catalogue on newer platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc90

Guardians of the Galaxy not getting a triple A movie tie in is a massive missed opportunity in gaming, just imagine borderlands crossed with star wars rogue squadron, it could of been a major hit! kicking ass across the galaxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Kotor 2. Not a bad game but you get to the point where the story becomes a rushed "they went here, kicked ass and all lived happily ever after. The E...."

gizmo wrote: »
    Nintendo continued refusal to monetise their back catalogue on newer platforms.

The real reason there is Nintendo is very picky about how each game is emulated. They write a seperate emulation wrapper for each game to ensure they are as accurate as possible. It's not like loading up a game in zsnes and the results are far superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was always surprised Shenmue 1 and 2 never getting a HD re-release, specially since the rumours about the HD versions pretty much being ready to go were so strong at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

gizmo wrote: »
    John Romero never really getting the chance to make anyone his bitch.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The real reason there is Nintendo is very picky about how each game is emulated. They write a seperate emulation wrapper for each game to ensure they are as accurate as possible. It's not like loading up a game in zsnes and the results are far superior.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work they put into those titles they do release, especially when they're based on the NTSC versions. I don't even mind some of the more peculiar pricing of some of these titles due to said work. I'm just surprised they haven't dedicated more resources to them since I would have thought it would be in their best interests to bolster their online offerings with as many classic releases as possible. Even putting aside new releases, the lack of a wider release for the 3DS Ambassador games is still rather baffling unless there's something I'm missing? I'd bring up the missing games between the NA and EU regions too but I'd imagine that's less Nintendo's fault and more publishing and licencing issues.

I guess I just find it so irksome since I'm shockingly behind on my handheld releases and there's a bunch of games which would be far cheaper (not to mention easier) to acquire via the eShop than eBay. At least then Nintendo would still get my money too. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement