Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pendlay row Vs bent over row.

• 27-09-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

just wondering what people are using in there back work out.

pendlay row or bent over row and why?

TB26

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    just wondering what people are using in there back work out.

pendlay row or bent over row and why?

TB26
    I use pendlay row or chest supported row.
    I do it as a back exercise, and I aim for relatively heavy rows. I find with a stricter Pendlay row, I'm less incline to "assist" the movement. More so with chest supported, plus I'm not relying on lower back to support to load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Exact same as Mellor here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Tried the pendlay for first time today. Really prefer it to the common barbell row. Still need to tweak my form a little. But a great simple exercise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Same as Mellor.

If only because you tend to keep form more strict. You see a lot of 'bent-over' road that are halfway between a proper row and an upright row.

Maybe it's just a personal thing but I find I do pendlay rows a little more explosively, which helps on the power front.

Same as Mellor.

If only because you tend to keep form more strict. You see a lot of 'bent-over' road that are halfway between a proper row and an upright row.

Maybe it's just a personal thing but I find I do pendlay rows a little more explosively, which helps on the power front.

When I do pendlays I have one cue running through my mind constantly: try to wallop myself in the stomach with the bar as hard as I possibly can. I find it does three things: 1) makes the row as explosive as possible, 2) results in proper bar path where the bar is being rowed towards the stomach and so the elbows don't flare, and 3) makes you brace your core, because you're picturing being belted into the stomach.

The only downside is the odd bruise from being a lil too aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What's that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hanley wrote: »
    What's that mean?

It means the rep is quicker, more explosive.

Maybe it isn't in reality.

Maybe it's not a great explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I've always found that with both types of row the weight I lifted was limited by what my back could take or I'd get weird pains around my knee.
    Either way my back wasn't getting as strong as it could. I became less machine phobic when I seen an andy Bolton video where even he used a chest supported row

I've always found that with both types of row the weight I lifted was limited by what my back could take or I'd get weird pains around my knee.
    Either way my back wasn't getting as strong as it could. I became less machine phobic when I seen an andy Bolton video where even he used a chest supported row
    Similar reason to me using chest supported row above. Plus once I approached a bodyweight row, it really threw my centre of gravity about.

I don't use a machine though. I set up an adjustable bench at 30 degrees and row a barbell from the floor.

Mellor wrote: »
    Similar reason to me using chest supported row above. Plus once I approached a bodyweight row, it really threw my centre of gravity about.

I don't use a machine though. I set up an adjustable bench at 30 degrees and row a barbell from the floor.

I tried those too but I found the lack of a full ROM annoying. .... Plus I'm a notorious monkey see monkey do gym lift copycat so if Bolton did it I had to do it!

• Advertisement

I tried those too but I found the lack of a full ROM annoying. .... Plus I'm a notorious monkey see monkey do gym lift copycat so if Bolton did it I had to do it!

If never had an issue with ROM. At least, don't down to the equipment. I sort of hang over the end of the bench so I'm unrestricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I've recently started doing these too. I like em. Interested to see if they boost my weighted pull ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I hate rows in general. Hardest to find strict form imo. Never really feel like I'm working it properly. Might give chest supported rows a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Im not sure Andy bolton could perform a barbell row even if the bar was empty.

dor843088 wrote: »

What would be stopping him?

dor843088 wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202597435519328

What would be stopping him?

Theres lots of simple tasks he couldnt do. Like tie his shoelace for example or f#ck his wife.

If your average gym rat put that video on youtube he would be ridiculed . Andy bolton performs a half row half shrug and hes a hero. This was not a row by any standard . If you were feeling really generous you might give him the first rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cagefactor

That video looks more like a Yates Row to me, I sometimes use the Yates Row for one set as a finisher after Pendlay Rows, Normally I can go for 2x or 3x the reps on the Yates row that I was doing on the Pendlay Rows (with the same weight).

Advertisement