Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bought an Ipad Mini but want to return it.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Hav'nt read full thread but OP chances are someone you know is going to be buying one for Christmas. Stick a post on Facebook and someone will take it off you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭The Friendly Newcomer

Just by logging in you could load data on to the device and it has been seen by the app store etc. I'm not sure of the details of this but I do know I'd be pretty pissed off if I bought a "new" iPad and found traces of another user on it. In fact, I'd be on here mouthing off about what a sloppy retailer has done.
    It needs to be refurbed IMHO.

Of course. I know that. They aren't going to sell it as I have returned it.
    I don't mind paying a refurbishment fee.

Hav'nt read full thread but OP chances are someone you know is going to be buying one for Christmas. Stick a post on Facebook and someone will take it off you.

Good idea. Thanks

Graham wrote: »

McAfee for iPad? I'd guess the sales guy/gal is still chuckling.
    That kind of comment is not helpful. It was free with the tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

did you go into PCworld yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

And a one year McAfee anti virus worth €99.99

IPads can be locked easily with FindMyI password which makes them difficult to reset to factory.
    Hence maybe the reluctance for anyone to take them back as it would have to be verified there was no password on it.

The McAfee should be returned though if you havn't opened that - thought they only tried to sell that with Android devices...

“Roll it back”

RossieMan wrote: »
    did you go into PCworld yet?

I live about half an hour away from it so it's going to be around 5 by the time I get there.
    ozmo wrote: »
    IPads can be locked easily with FindMyI password which makes them difficult to reset to factory.
    Hence maybe the reluctance for anyone to take them back as it would have to be verified there was no password on it.

The McAfee should be returned though if you havn't opened that - thought they only tried to sell that with Android devices...
    I haven't opened that so I might try and return that. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Of course. I know that. They aren't going to sell it as I have returned it.
    I don't mind paying a refurbishment fee.

As has been said already, taking a small hit on adverts or DD (trade for laptop?) might be the best bet. Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I haven't opened that so I might try and return that. Thanks

They're not going to give you money back for something you didn't pay for.

As has been said already, taking a small hit on adverts or DD (trade for laptop?) might be the best bet. Good luck.
    Yeah, thanks.

• Advertisement

as i said yesterday, just go in and have a chat with them, you'll never know if ya don't try.

You can look at selling it off after if they say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Adverts is the best place to sell things as it works on a feedback system and it very transparent. Also nice to keep it within the boards.ie ecosystem :) Used Donedeal/buy and sell - never again - full of timewastes and scammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

OP, do not tell them you have used the iPad.

PC World have no interest in returning items to Apple to be refurbed even at your expense. Even if they did it would probably cost you more than selling it on Adverts. Returbs sell for less than New.

You might have some hope of getting a trade for a laptop but I personally wouldn't be telling them I had used it even if the seal is broken.

My understanding is a broken seal is a used item.

Going into a store at 5pm on a Sunday with a problem like this probably isn't the wisest idea either.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

PC World are giving McAfee Antivirus free with iPads and telling people it’s worth 99 euro? lol. What a horrid company.

PC World are giving McAfee Antivirus free with iPads and telling people it’s worth 99 euro? lol. What a horrid company.

Thought he said he paid 99 for it.

“Roll it back”

OP, do not tell them you have used the iPad.

PC World have no interest in returning items to Apple to be refurbed even at your expense. Even if they did it would probably cost you more than selling it on Adverts. Returbs sell for less than New.

You might have some hope of getting a trade for a laptop but I personally wouldn't be telling them I had used it even if the seal is broken.

My understanding is a broken seal is a used item.

Going into a store at 5pm on a Sunday with a problem like this probably isn't the wisest idea either.

Good luck.

this. Awful time to be going in at.

I definitely wouldn't be saying you used it. i'd say your parents got it for you and it doesn't suit you, ask for a laptop instead.

Don't say you just don't like it, thats not a valid reason. If "someone else bought you it" and its not fit for your purpose, you might stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Don't say you just don't like it, thats not a valid reason. If "someone else bought you it" and its not fit for your purpose, you might stand a chance.

That's not what "not fit for purpose" means, though. What that means is they must do what they are reasonably expected to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

If they're willing to entertain you after realising you have broken the warranty seal, tell them you have changed your mind and wish to buy a laptop instead - you would be happy to accept a credit against that.

If it's not blatantly obvious that it's been used, just say you opened to have a look and realised it wasn't what you needed. Plead ignorance.

Again, do not go in an hour before the store closes. I worked and managed in retail stores for 10 years and it's very likely you will be met with a frosty reception at that time. Some staff are nicer than others but not worth taking the risk imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

OP, there may be an easy way out of this:

PC World have published the following recommendations:

http://www.pcworld.ie/content/tablet-for-school-or-college/2247

I.e. They broadly describe how tablets are suitable for various purposes, WITHOUT clearly advising you they may be unsuitable or why.

If you bought a tablet for college, and despite this published recommendation, you found it to be unsuitable and inappropriate, you are within you rights to refer to this. Even if you didn't read this advert, their instore promotions and press advertising probably exposed you to these messages informing your choice, so you can refer to this webpage as an example. Then you can return it as opened yet not fit for purpose according to their advised use cases. They offer a blanket recommendation (an ad) versus advising you fairly.

Eg: They suggest it is suitable for research assignments and essays on the go, but trying to do serious writing on an iPad mini keyboard, like you could on a full size laptop, is going very far, especially with limited multitasking and without a full size keyboard. They don't disclose that - thus you are within your rights to return it because they misleadingly suggest a screen keyboard is adequate for writing essays on the go.

I'd argue that the limitations of an iPad mini, with only the screen keyboard, would lead to low quality assignments and may affect your grades in college. As the technology professional, I would regard their advice on that webpage as misleading, incomplete and irresponsible in what it fails to disclose adequately.

It is obviously written by a copywriter (advertising writer) whose main interest is in getting you to buy tablets instead of educating you about your options that you can make the best decision for the tool you need to succeed in college.

Since you have realised the iPad is quite unsuitable for your needs, I would simply return it without worrying too much whether or not you opened it, because the advice that accompanied is misleading. For example, on that webpage they failed to state that an iPad mini would be most suitable as an extra tool for reading and perhaps some casual notetaking, *but not* as a primary tool for completing and fulfilling assignments for college for which it really isn't suitable.

If you need to argue your case, print out that webpage-and then explain to the manager or whomever you're dealing with, that you bought this item in good faith understanding it to be suitable for your needs as is stated in their promotions, only to discover it was unsuitable, which has cost you time, caused you stress and left you in an awkward situation. You need to fairly explain why (E.g. trying to write a full essay on screen keyboard and iPad mini is a cumbersome unproductive and quality compromising approach). Along with requesting a refund, ask them to explain in writing why they are providing misleading advice without warning you why tablets may be inappropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'd take the legal advice above with about as much regard as any other legal advice you find of the interwebs.

There's no obligation on any retailer to highlight what their products are unsuitable for. Given the rather long list of possibilities that might entail, it's also a rather unrealistic expectation. The product is fit for purpose.

• Advertisement

No one is saying its not fit for purpose, what we're trying to do is find a way for the OP to get around it.

PC world are selling a free product and saying its worth €99. i wouldn't feel bad for deceiving them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

PC world are selling a free product and saying its worth €99. i wouldn't feel bad for deceiving them.

The OP clarified, they gave it to him free and suggested it was worth €99.

At the end of the day, the OP got exactly what he asked for and PCW have no obligation to refund based on the OPs buyers remorse.

The best he can hope for is PCW agree a refund purely as a goodwill gesture. Inventing a trumped up 'fit for purpose' argument is not likely to help his cause. Purchasing a more expensive laptop might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

No one is saying its not fit for purpose, what we're trying to do is find a way for the OP to get around it.

And you wouldn't feel bad for the next unsuspecting customer who comes along to buy a new iPad mini at full price and gets an undisclosed 2nd hand one?

Moral of the story, if you go in to PC World in Sligo to buy a new iPad mini in the near future, make sure the box is sealed!

So.. How did it go?

“Roll it back”

Advertisement