Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rep,set,weights

• 27-09-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

i have been lifting weights now for nearly 19 months and really enjoy it. i have always done straight sets of 8 usually 4 sets. (with the exception of when i tried stronglifts)

well anyway i was in the gym the other day and on my 4th set of shoulder press with 20kg dumbells when i stalled on the 6th rep and couldnt get them up no matter how hard i pushed.

a guy came over and said the reason i could get them up was cause i used the same weight and that i should try starting with a slightly lower weight and increasing the weight with every set. i thought this was weid and did some research once i got home. the 3 common ones i found were

straight sets same weight for all sets and reps
    pyramid sets weight goes up and rep come down as you do you sets
    reverse pyramid sets weights go down as reps come up as you do sets.

to be honest its only confused me more!!!!!
    i would class myself as a beginner even do im lifting nearly 19 months. my goal is to put on muscle mass and gain strenght.

which of the above sets is the best for what i want?

thanks for reading and for any advice given

TB26

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i have been lifting weights now for nearly 19 months and really enjoy it. i have always done straight sets of 8 usually 4 sets. (with the exception of when i tried stronglifts)

well anyway i was in the gym the other day and on my 4th set of shoulder press with 20kg dumbells when i stalled on the 6th rep and couldnt get them up no matter how hard i pushed.

a guy came over and said the reason i could get them up was cause i used the same weight and that i should try starting with a slightly lower weight and increasing the weight with every set. i thought this was weid and did some research once i got home. the 3 common ones i found were

straight sets same weight for all sets and reps
    pyramid sets weight goes up and rep come down as you do you sets
    reverse pyramid sets weights go down as reps come up as you do sets.

to be honest its only confused me more!!!!!
    i would class myself as a beginner even do im lifting nearly 19 months. my goal is to put on muscle mass and gain strenght.

which of the above sets is the best for what i want?

thanks for reading and for any advice given

TB26

If that's what he said, then I wouldn't be going to him for advice. The reason you couldn't lift the 4 sets of 8 is cos you weren't strong enough.

How does your programme look? What are the week-on-week progressions like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

If that's what he said, then I wouldn't be going to him for advice. The reason you couldn't lift the 4 sets of 8 is cos you weren't strong enough.

How does your programme look? What are the week-on-week progressions like?

the thing is i didnt ask him for advice!!!!!

my programme is probably over kill and i have been told by a mate its way to much but the thing is i enjoy it so i dont care.

my progression is going at an ok pace. the way i normaly do it is. let take shoulder press this week i stalled on the 4th set on 20s when i can do the 4 sets of 8 with 20s i will up the weight to 22.5kg. i do this for all my exercises

tb26

Advertisement