Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

12v + 5v socket

• 27-09-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else had one of these?
    It's draining my battery.
    Should I just bin it?

Image_zps8f93d9cf.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

See if you can wire it into a circuit which isn't always live and has a decent rated fuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Del2005 wrote: »
    See if you can wire it into a circuit which isn't always live and has a decent rated fuse.

I wanted to be able to plug a trickle charger into it.
    I have 2 different type sockets on other bikes and never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I HAD the 5v on the bike for a while, had to remove it as it was just eating up the battery

dunner515 wrote: »
    I HAD the 5v on the bike for a while, had to remove it as it was just eating up the battery

Yeah, I might just change it for an ordinary 12v and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

blade1 wrote: »
    I have 2 different type sockets on other bikes and never had a problem with them.

It's deffo going to drain your battery if you run a trickle charger off it!!

IMO all gadget ad ons to a bike should be done through a relay with a switched live. A lot of brands like Oxford grips design and market their circuits so that they are plug and play and won't drain your battery. I personally would never wore them to my bike like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

blade1 wrote: »

I'd say it's the 5V circuit draining the battery. Might be cheaper to wire a separate wire direct to the battery for charging and wire this charger into a switched circuit, or replace the 5V adapter with just a cigarette charger and get a plug in 5V adapter

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd say it's the 5V circuit draining the battery. Might be cheaper to wire a separate wire direct to the battery for charging and wire this charger into a switched circuit, or replace the 5V adapter with just a cigarette charger and get a plug in 5V adapter

That's what I'm thinking: cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

leppla wrote: »
    It's deffo going to drain your battery if you run a trickle charger off it!!

IMO all gadget ad ons to a bike should be done through a relay with a switched live. A lot of brands like Oxford grips design and market their circuits so that they are plug and play and won't drain your battery. I personally would never wore them to my bike like that.

Where do you reckon taking a switched live from is acceptable?
    My looms are covered and dont fancy stripping anything open to find a switched live, front lights? only on when ignition is on and switched on too, so maybe.
    I was interested in something like this, but was thinking an all in one solid state relay and 5v convertor combined might be handier than having something cobbled together.

I might try a 12v connector in the interim, with a fuse and possibly even a switch inline too.
    If the 5v convertor is on only when the bike is running, wouldnt it only draw current when its in use?

cerastes wrote: »
    Where do you reckon taking a switched live from is acceptable?
    My looms are covered and dont fancy stripping anything open to find a switched live, front lights? only on when ignition is on and switched on too, so maybe.
    I was interested in something like this, but was thinking an all in one solid state relay and 5v convertor combined might be handier than having something cobbled together.

I might try a 12v connector in the interim, with a fuse and possibly even a switch inline too.
    If the 5v convertor is on only when the bike is running, wouldnt it only draw current when its in use?

The rear light or even the rear number plate late cable are usually switched lives on most bikes. They are usually accessible under the seats also. I would break one of them cables and take your switched live from there.

I'll have to have a look, has anyone come across a purpose built relay operated switched live, might be tidier than cobbling one together.

• Advertisement

I'll have to have a look, has anyone come across a purpose built relay operated switched live, might be tidier than cobbling one together.

This is what you are after http://www.awdirect.com/product_images/zoom/12-volt-automotive-relay-30-40-amp-23-26004000.jpg
    Most motor factors will have them .

Yes, thats what I was thinking of, tidier than getting a 12v relay and base from radionics, still I might see if there is a base for them.
    Just need a bow now.

edit, I see some have fixing holes, rather than just leaving it floating around.

Yes, thats what I was thinking of, tidier than getting a 12v relay and base from radionics, still I might see if there is a base for them.
    Just need a bow now.

As far as I know you can get a base that clips into that relay to make it all waterproof however I have never got the base before

Advertisement