Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting at UCC

Options
  • 27-09-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys!

My name is Lucy and I am from Slovakia. I would like to start my studies at UCC the following semester and I am wondering if there's anybody who would be willing to discuss some things about studying in Ireland with me. I'd like to attend an Accounting course but I am not sure if it wouldn't be too difficult for me due to the different system of educating in Slovakia.

So if there's anybody up for a little chat with me, I'll be really very happy :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Can some moderator put this under UCC in the edu forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

gugleguy wrote: »
    Can some moderator put this under UCC in the edu forum?

yeah. Also that forum isn't great for specific questions relating to different courses. I'm not sure if OP wants to exchange course, full degree, masters or whats the story!

Either way we're talking next year and you have plenty of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 loo.see

Oh, sorry! I want to study Bachelor's degree. I know that it's too soon, but I have to decide whether I want to stay and study in Slovakia or in Ireland, because applications for universities here must be sent very soon. That's the reason why I am wondering and why I want to know as much information as possible :) but if this is not the right forum for this topic, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

I did accounting in CIT & thought it was a bit of a waste of time. You're better off doing the professional exams straight off rather that paying college fees only to find out at the end that you still have to do more exams thus paying more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Nemanrio wrote: »
    I did accounting in CIT & thought it was a bit of a waste of time. You're better off doing the professional exams straight off rather that paying college fees only to find out at the end that you still have to do more exams thus paying more money.

I don't agree with this at all. I didn't study accounting but did finance in UCC and a lot of my lectures were with the accounting class.

Having a degree (even if in an unrelated field) was essential for getting a job. I work in a very large practice and everyone has a degree. Even from attending lectures for professional exams I have not yet come across anyone that went straight from doing their leaving cert to doing professional exams.

The BSc in accounting gets you full CAP1 exemptions in ACA exams and sets you up very well for CAP 2 exams.

There is a 6 month placement in 3rd year which is very beneficial in getting experience and boosting your CV. I can't give any specifics on the BSc in accounting but the subjects I did with them were a mix of group and individual projects/assignments which consisted of 20% of your year end result and 80% was based on a year end exam. UCC has recently been semesterised which may change things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 loo.see

Thanks Daisy for the information :) I see it all more clearly now.

Is it hard to get to the Accounting course, would I have a chance to get there even though I am a foreigner and all those applicants would be probably Irish? Do you know how many students do they accept?
    Daisy03 wrote: »
    I don't agree with this at all. I didn't study accounting but did finance in UCC and a lot of my lectures were with the accounting class.

Having a degree (even if in an unrelated field) was essential for getting a job. I work in a very large practice and everyone has a degree. Even from attending lectures for professional exams I have not yet come across anyone that went straight from doing their leaving cert to doing professional exams.

The BSc in accounting gets you full CAP1 exemptions in ACA exams and sets you up very well for CAP 2 exams.

There is a 6 month placement in 3rd year which is very beneficial in getting experience and boosting your CV. I can't give any specifics on the BSc in accounting but the subjects I did with them were a mix of group and individual projects/assignments which consisted of 20% of your year end result and 80% was based on a year end exam. UCC has recently been semesterised which may change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

No problem Loo.see.

I wouldn't be certain but I think finance had 60 to 70 people in my class and accounting would have been at least the same.

In my course there were 3 non Irish nationals so you definitely should not let that stop you.

If you want more specific info the contact listed is Derry Cotter. http://www.ucc.ie/en/ck202/
    (Sorry I am using my phone so the link may not be the full link. But under further contact info his details are there)

I had Derry as a lecturer and he is fantastic and I am sure would be more than willing to answer any questions on the course.

Advertisement