Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballybane House rental

Options
  • 27-09-2014 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

A Friend is starting a new job in Galway. He is looking to rent a three bed house in ballybane area for convience to Work. What rental price will he be looking at ? Are rents negotiable ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check prices on http://classifieds.advertiser.ie/ and http://www.daft.ie/
    Rents are negotiable but tbh it can depend on interest etc. Your friend can make an offer and see how he get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thanks Biko... had a quick look myself. Doesnt seem to be much in area hé was on about.

Hes looked at castle park just off monivea road. Whats it like there ?

Castle Park, it depends. It's one of the less attractive areas in Galway city but by no means a ghetto or anything.
    You can find previous mentions of areas like this
    www.google.ie/search?q=castle+park+galway+site:boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Hes looked at castle park just off monivea road. Whats it like there ?

The following google search boolean query should tell you all you need to about castle park. I wouldn't add anything additional in case it offends some on here but needless to say there are quite a few results related to court cases.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22with+an+address+at%22+%22castle+park%22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

zarquon wrote: »
    The following google search boolean query should tell you all you need to about castle park. I wouldn't add anything additional in case it offends some on here but needless to say there are quite a few results related to court cases.

6 of the 10 listed dont relate to Galway. Parts of Castlepark are grand, parts less so, depends who your neighbours are.

zarquon wrote: »

À lot of The news stories are about castlepark in other towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

I wouldn't live in Castle Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If your friend can stretch to a place outside castle park they would probably be better off staying away from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

6 of the 10 listed dont relate to Galway. Parts of Castlepark are grand, parts less so, depends who your neighbours are.

Yeah you can add galway to the string to bring more relevant results.

As you have said it is a roll of the dice who you get as neighbours, some nice people live there but some very undesirable individuals live there too. I personally wouldn't take the risk if there are other rental opportunities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

For balances sake towards the castlepark search, if you do it with salthill, and I put salthill down as a wonderful spot, you come up with murders&robbery at knifepoint. Castlepark may be rough around the edges but that search only brings up regular robbery as the worst craic to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Castlepark is by Galway standards a very big estate. Nearly 400 houses I think. If it was built today the 7 different roads into it would be given different names so much less results for each part separately.
    Some lovely people in the area some not so much.
    Best advice is go look at the house to rent and check the houses around it. If they look well maintained take it if not walk away.

Hes gone outside that area looking at clareview. Is this better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,958 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

IMHO

Hes mentioned renting a granny flat place for a while til hé knows thé area to find a house. Are these even legal for renting ? There like an Apt in the garden.

Granny flats are perfectly legal and quite common to rent. Tell your friend to rent somewhere on a 3 or 6 month lease (some will rent with no lease). He can then use spare time to have a look around the city for more suitable houses.

biko wrote: »
    Granny flats are perfectly legal and quite common to rent. Tell your friend to rent somewhere on a 3 or 6 month lease (some will rent with no lease). He can then use spare time to have a look around the city for more suitable houses.

It was my understanding that persons relating to the home renter/or owner can only stay in a granny flat

It was my understanding that persons relating to the home renter/or owner can only stay in a granny flat

Ahh, no, just because you're related to a homeowner does not mean that the only place you can stay is in their granny flat! (read what you said).

And I'm not aware that only relatives may stay in a separate but adjoined property in the same grounds, either - which is what I think you meant. Do you have a link?

Ahh, no, just because you're related to a homeowner does not mean that the only place you can stay is in their granny flat! (read what you said).

And I'm not aware that only relatives may stay in a separate but adjoined property in the same grounds, either - which is what I think you meant. Do you have a link?

Thats what I ment . I will dig around for that link

• Advertisement

That thread refers to planning and building a granny flat.

biko wrote: »
    That thread refers to planning and building a granny flat.

So its ok to build it says but not for rental purposes

It may be built for private purpose but later rented out. I don't know, it's for the other thread to find out.

For the intent of this thread. If your friend is worried about it, he can check with the landlord if they are registered with prtb.ie

That thread is just some randoms on the interwebz. Do you have any proper links?

I've seen Revenue ones about the tax status of granny flats, and they are based on sharing a common property / wall? (I can't remember), rather than whether a relative lives in 'em.

The ones he mentioned were in gardens. Hé was thinking not much demand for that ttype of accommodation so should get a place for 200 euro

update he viewed a nice granny flat in Rockland Avenue the side beside Rahylin Gleb . He said it seems to be quiet there and is close to the industrial estate for work. Opinions anyone ?

Advertisement