Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toilet training puppy help needed!

• 27-09-2014 8:13pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, not sure what I'm doing wrong, so I really need some advice.

Elly is around 5months now and we've had her about 5 weeks.
    She's crated at night and if we're out for a short time, no accidents at all.

She's left out regularly and is walked twice a day. She just doesn't seem to make the connection that she's to wee outside. She can have spent ages outside and then the minute she comes in she'll wee.

Now it's not all the time, but it is at least once a day. Tonight I was cooking tea and found when I came back into living room she'd weed on the couch and in front of it as well.

Now I'm obviously doing something wrong. She gets loads of praise when she wees etc outside and is ignored if inside. If we catch her doing it, she gets carried straight out with a ah ah. Most of the time we don't see her. She's like a weeing ninja!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Do you bring her out though to go? Or just leave her to go outside herself?

It takes times and some dogs take longer than others so just be patient and keep up the routine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

If the back door is closed then they are brought out for wees. If it's open then they just come and go as they want.

She'll wee inside even if the door is open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well there's your problem really. Until she's fully trained you need to keep bringing her out every time as she still doesn't know outside is where you want her to go.
    So I would keep bringing her out for another while yet until she gull knows outside is where to go.

Advertisement