Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air quality in Greystones

Options
  • 27-09-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Am I the only person in Greystones who notices the deteriorating air quality at this time of year every year.

As the nights get darker, the tennis, GAA and rugby clubs turn on their flood lights for matches and training sessions, and a slight smog is clearly visible. It hasn't been too bad yet this year because the weather has been mild, but as soon as we get some cold weather, the smog will show clearly under the flood lights.

Do none of the athletes who train in the foul air notice it?
    Do none of the parents of young children and teenagers who train there notice it?
    Do local GPs notice any unusual level of respiratory illness in Greystones athletes?
    Does nobody else who drives / cycles / walks along Mill Road notice the poor air quality?

It's ironic that when I leave work in Dublin City at 8 pm most nights, the air quality is good. It remains good until Kilmacanogue., and improves again after Kilmac. It then deteriorates markedly just after Charlesland as I drive into Greystones.

Is it just me?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Seriously? surely some floodlights can't deteriorate the air quality noticeably?

What would your solution be? Because I hope it isn't to stop the training/floodlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I have noticed the "smog" you mention but I am not sure if it is bad air quality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Take a walk along Church Rd. any weekday at 6am.Then do the same at 8 am. The air pollution wil be breath takingly obvious.
    At this time of year the cloud cover in the evening will exacerbate the poor air quality, which you have observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

should be less bad this year as the smokey coal ban now covers Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

loyatemu wrote:
    should be less bad this year as the smokey coal ban now covers Greystones.

though the ever increasing traffic congestion may cancel this out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Cerco wrote: »
    Take a walk along Church Rd. any weekday at 6am.Then do the same at 8 am. The air pollution wil be breath takingly obvious.
    At this time of year the cloud cover in the evening will exacerbate the poor air quality, which you have observed.

Plus the fact that it is completely still, ie, no breeze to disperse any pollution..

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I always assumed it was sea mist :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It's fluoride in the water interacting considerably seriously with chemtrails from the CIA flights leaving Shannon and the remains of MMR vaccines that were dumped in Greystones back in 1977 that are all causing this decline in air quality.

That, and the Soviets are attempting to steal our precious bodily fluids.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I'm not convinced its bad air quality. I'm of the opinion it's an atmospheric condition.

The pea souper of Greystones! I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

burnaby wrote: »
    Am I the only person in Greystones who notices the deteriorating air quality at this time of year every year.

As the nights get darker, the tennis, GAA and rugby clubs turn on their flood lights for matches and training sessions, and a slight smog is clearly visible. It hasn't been too bad yet this year because the weather has been mild, but as soon as we get some cold weather, the smog will show clearly under the flood lights.

Do none of the athletes who train in the foul air notice it?
    Do none of the parents of young children and teenagers who train there notice it?
    Do local GPs notice any unusual level of respiratory illness in Greystones athletes?
    Does nobody else who drives / cycles / walks along Mill Road notice the poor air quality?

It's ironic that when I leave work in Dublin City at 8 pm most nights, the air quality is good. It remains good until Kilmacanogue., and improves again after Kilmac. It then deteriorates markedly just after Charlesland as I drive into Greystones.

Is it just me?!
    I work outdoors and I would be outdoors walking etc a lot too....ive noticed this haze too..especially coming over the head from bray..it can look as if gstones is covered in a blanket of smog..im not sure if its sea smog as it often sits on land and ends at the coast..im sure other outdoorsey people have noticed it too especially photographers and walkers..however ive noticed this hazy phenom for a number of years all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

loyatemu wrote: »
    though the ever increasing traffic congestion may cancel this out.

Yes, loyatemu, you hit a very apt point on the head there. We have our County Council and wonderful "planners" to thank for this. They seem incapable of understanding the lessons they could have learned from the mistakes made by other villages and towns in Ireland as well as in the UK, when small village streets and roads are expected to cope with the traffic volume created by urban sprawl.

Greystones, Kilincarrig and Delgany were only villages. Their streets were never designed to cope with the amount traffic that uses them now. As it stands this problem will only get worse as Wicklow CoCo has zoned land in all if these villages for further residential and commercial development without, it seems to me, considering if the road infrastructure can carry the increased traffic volume. As a result we will see increased traffic congestion, diesel and petrol emissions as vehicles stand idling for ages in traffic jams at peak times and an ever decreasing quality of life thanks to completely inappropriate development, in what were once, some of the nicest places to live not only in Wicklow but on Ireland's east coast!

Well done Wicklow Co. Co!

Cerco wrote: »

Leads me another point.. idling traffic .congestion and built up villages and town streets etc tend to contain fumes..and we were always told as kids never to pick berries close to roads etc as they would be laced with contaminants from fuel etc..yet you see joggers all the time panting along chugging this mix of fumes deep into their lungs as they run along busy streets..seems a tad counter productive. .

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

FirstIn wrote: »
    I'm not convinced its bad air quality. I'm of the opinion it's an atmospheric condition.
    Winegates can have its own micro climate at times.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

In reality the streets where never ment for cars at all. The village is older then there existence so it's not a planning problem unless they where to level the place and start again there is very little that can be done. I also think the "smog" is more just a mist from the increase of moisture at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

FirstIn wrote: »

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head.

We have had high pressure dominating our weather which has led to some fantastic weather. During these prolonged events, the air can stagnate as it's not really moving anywhere.
    The other thing HP causes is fog and sea fog, this can be mistaken for bad air quality when there's nothing wrong at all.

Normal service is to resume in the coming days, so the wind and rain will clear things up in no time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

TBH I prefer haze over wind and rain :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's actually a significant air quality problem during the winter outside of Dublin, Cork etc where smokey coal bans apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Are you sure you don`t mean Smug?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Maybe it's because of all the Guiness that's be drank during the Ryder cup..?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

DazMarz wrote: »
    It's fluoride in the water interacting considerably seriously with chemtrails from the CIA flights leaving Shannon and the remains of MMR vaccines that were dumped in Greystones back in 1977 that are all causing this decline in air quality.

That, and the Soviets are attempting to steal our precious bodily fluids.

You can avoid it by wearing your tinfoil hat at all times.

• Advertisement

You can avoid it by wearing your tinfoil hat at all times.

Tinfoil!! Shock horror thats SO yesterday.the aluminium will play havoc with your health..its kevlar helmets these days im afraid. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Aronaay wrote: »
    I also think the "smog" is more just a mist from the increase of moisture at this time of year.
    To be more accurate, its the condensation of the same amount of moisture in the evenings, dew to the colder nights.
    Autumn, season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.

recedite wrote: »
    To be more accurate, its the condensation of the same amount of moisture in the evenings, dew to the colder nights.
    Autumn, season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.

How come yesterday (monday) beautiful sunny day. .all day in gstones. .but for eg when I look towards downs hill or even the wicklow mountains I can hardly see it/them for haze..I mean is this haze moisture? Dust?or smog in the air?and not just lately for autumn ive noticed this haze all through summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If warm air is carried up to a higher altitude where its colder, the moisture condenses out as misty haze or drizzle.
    Then sometimes in the summer, when the land is a lot warmer than the sea, the warm air shifts onto the sea and cools down there, causing a sea fog. But in a September evening, the air can just suddenly cool down everywhere and cause a haze.

A couple of times recently I've seen a foehn cloud over the Sugarloaf and even Bray head. It'll appear as a flat cloud near the summit, when the skies are clear, like a ring around the mountain with a tail heading out towards the sea. Very cool looking; it makes the Sugarloaf look like a volcano on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

While not Greystones, you can follow the general air quality here in the area. Look for trends rather than specifics.

http://www.epa.ie/air/quality/data/by/#.VDZrUmddUow

Advertisement