Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western suburbs?

Options
  • 27-09-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello all - I'll be moving to Galway later this year to work at NUI Galway. I know some of the good suburbs to look at like Salthill, Knocknacarra or maybe out to Barna or Moycullen, but I don't know what suburbs to avoid - we're a family of four with primary-school aged kids so need good primary schools too (which I think rules out Barna as the schools near there all seem to teach in Gaelic, which is a bit hard to ask the kids to learn in a hurry given neither of their parents speak it).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Jimbo516 wrote: »
    I know some of the good suburbs to look at like Salthill, Knocknacarra or maybe out to Barna or Moycullen....

that's an incorrect assumption that only driving into estates will solve... I wandered into a neighbouring estate this evening and the low quality and upkeep of the buildings and amenities was in stark contrast to our own... don't make assumptions, come over and spend a weekend driving into estates, only way to get a feel for the place

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd agree with the last poster. There are not really any bad areas per se, but some pockets of less desirable roads etc, even within the suburbs you mention.
    Lots of different reasons - poor lighting, noisy businesses beside you, even backing on to 'abandoned' land sometimes makes the difference between perfect and not so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

(which I think rules out Barna as the schools near there all seem to teach in Gaelic, which is a bit hard to ask the kids to learn in a hurry given neither of their parents speak it). Anyway, where would you say 'Don't even go there'?

I know loads of people that went to all irish schools and none of their parents spoke irish. They had no problems but started to learn from primary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Barna school isn't a Gaelscoil btw. It's always been subjects taught through English and very basic Irish. Nice spot too but the morning traffic has gotten a lot worse in the last 6 months due to the new lights at Cappagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's stay positive OP..

Knockers is the place to look into, it really has everything you're looking for.
    Fáilte go Gaillimh btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

biko wrote: »
    Fáilte go Gaillimh btw!

You're just confusing the poor OP now lol.

Actually I thought you had to have some level of Irish in order to work in the Uni but maybe that rule is gone now.

Actually I thought you had to have some level of Irish in order to work in the Uni but maybe that rule is gone now.

If that rule ever existed it must be gone for many many years. Irish universities employ a lot of people from other EU countries and further afield so having such a rule would be impossible (and probably not even legal).

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Traffic in Galway is a disaster. Try to find a place within walking distance of schools if you can. Knocknacarra has great amenities and it's convenient to NUIG but it's very built up and heavily populated so the traffic can be mad at times, and to get from Barna to NUIG you have to go through or near Knocknacarra so you have the same traffic issue. It depends on your own preference, if you out to Moycullen/Corcullen it's quieter but the facilities may not be as good. Spend a weekend around the areas to get a feel for where will suit you best. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

If that rule ever existed it must be gone for many many years. Irish universities employ a lot of people from other EU countries and further afield so having such a rule would be impossible (and probably not even legal).

The rule very much still exists. It's just applied differently to different positions within the University. It only applies to NUI Galway though, not the other Irish Universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

?Cee?view wrote: »
    The rule very much still exists. It's just applied differently to different positions within the University. It only applies to NUI Galway though, not the other Irish Universities.

Miles off topic now I know, but I believe the rule is if two candidates are available and are fairly much equal then the person with command of the Irish language gets selected, all other factors being equal. So knowledge of Irish is a bonus but not a requirement.

• Advertisement

Sconsey wrote: »
    Miles off topic now I know, but I believe the rule is if two candidates are available and are fairly much equal then the person with command of the Irish language gets selected, all other factors being equal. So knowledge of Irish is a bonus but not a requirement.

Agreed it's completely OT, but just to reply.

That's not the position; command of Irish is assessed first and only those with the required standard go on to be interviewed. Each job is assessed to see if Irish is a requirement. If it is, then the particular standard of Irish which is required is set. Only those who attain that standard go on to be interviewed.

For instance, the position of President of NUIG requires a very high standard of Irish. All candidates for that office would be tested on their Irish first and only those who pass that go on to be assessed for the position.

It depends on your own preference, if you out to Moycullen/Corcullen it's quieter but the facilities may not be as good. Spend a weekend around the areas to get a feel for where will suit you best. Good luck!

For whatever reason, a load of people working in the University seem to live in the Moycullen area. It's actually quite convenient for the University, particularly if you can use the Corrib Village entrance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Traffic in Galway is a disaster. Try to find a place within walking distance of schools if you can. Knocknacarra has great amenities and it's convenient to NUIG but it's very built up and heavily populated so the traffic can be mad at times, and to get from Barna to NUIG you have to go through or near Knocknacarra so you have the same traffic issue. It depends on your own preference, if you out to Moycullen/Corcullen it's quieter but the facilities may not be as good. Spend a weekend around the areas to get a feel for where will suit you best. Good luck!

Its not so much the population that is the problem in Knocknacarra as extremely poor planning and extremely poor roads infrastructure. In Knocknacarra you are arguably looking at imposed car-dependency. Knocknacarra is almost a "caricature" of "planning". It is hard to think of a better example of how not to plan a suburb in the late twentieth century.

So if you can afford the more established parts of the city you might be better off looking around there. Best to ask some of your colleagues maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

A kid was stabbed in knockers over the weekend but I'm glad to say that it's not a normal occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Hello all - I'll be moving to Galway later this year to work at NUI Galway. I know some of the good suburbs to look at like Salthill, Knocknacarra or maybe out to Barna or Moycullen, but I don't know what suburbs to avoid - we're a family of four with primary-school aged kids so need good primary schools too (which I think rules out Barna as the schools near there all seem to teach in Gaelic, which is a bit hard to ask the kids to learn in a hurry given neither of their parents speak it).

It may be best to start looking at the school situation before deciding to on a place to live. There may be a waiting list for school places. Also, schools may only want to take pupils who are living in the area. In terms of where to live a lot will also depend on whether you intend on buying a place or renting. If you intend on renting then your choice may be limited as suitable rental accommodation may not be in abundance. The best way of establishing an areas credentials is to take a drive around. If this isn't immediately possible then google streetview could be useful to give you an idea of areas. I hope I haven't put you off but it's no harm to be prepared which you are obviously doing by finding out as much as you can in anticipation of your move west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Moycullen is a good option. It is a thriving village with good schools and great sporting options (basketball, hurling, football, soccer). The traffic into town is light compared with some of the other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cocoman wrote: »
    The best way of establishing an areas credentials is to take a drive around. If this isn't immediately possible then google streetview could be useful to give you an idea of areas.

Good post - especially the bit about the shortage of rental accommodation: people moving here may not get to live where they would like to, these days.

If you're not from Ireland, then there may be a few visual clues that you don't understand when looking at an area:

Shops having roller-doors and steel screens on the windows doesn't necessarily mean that an area is bad.

If any area has a lot of properties with plain Tranzit vans (ie without company brand signwriting on them) parked outside, then this is often an indicator that the area is rougher than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jimbo516

Thanks all - some very helpful tips there. Also some helpful PM's too. Hopfeully all goes well and I'll become a regular on the board. How do you say 'Wasting time on the internet' in Irish? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Thanks all - some very helpful tips there. Also some helpful PM's too. Hopfeully all goes well and I'll become a regular on the board. How do you say 'Wasting time on the internet' in Irish? :)

Ag cur ama amú ar an idirlíon :) Good luck with your move!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flonk

Hi,

Just came across your post. Appreciate your concerns but as someone who moved to and now lives in Knocknacarra I can tell you there are far more good than bad. Lots of primary schools in the area too. Sent my two to Buaile Beag NS and they loved it. Irish def not a problem as I have none!! Would suggest you look up websites of local schools and perhaps email them as places can be difficult to get.

• Advertisement
Advertisement