Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster's Drive for 8-0 vs Munster buildup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Weather forecast is good anyway, might be somewhat less turgid so, but these matches have never been particularly entertaining from a free-flowing rugby point of view.

On paper (and I'm reading that paper through blue-tinted glasses, obviously), there's only one winner IMO. Leinster have been very up and down but Munster have been even worse. That said, I think part of the problem has been Munster's attitude, they just don't seem too pushed about the Pro12 but they should be well able to get themselves motivated for this.

The key questions for Leinster are:
    - is Jack McGrath fit? Bent did OK against Cardiff but I'd feel a lot better with McGrath starting.
    - can Reddan get up to the pace of the game? Seems to be physically fit but mentally not switched on at all.
    - what do we do with Ian Madigan? IMO, he should be wearing either 10 or 22 but nothing else.

If we got an injury update this week saying Kirchner was fit, it would be a massive boost.

If there's only a crowd of 40,000 there, it could negate Leinster's home advantage; I'd say the players would much rather be in a full RDS than an Aviva with 10,000 gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sean O'Brien
    Sexton will make an early return to Leinster and not to be out done, O'Gara will also make an emotional 3 part documentary return to Munster. The two out halves get sent off after 1 minute and 14 seconds for having a full on fist fight. Turns out they still hate each other afterall.

SOON....

Scarlets+v+Racing+Metro+92+Heineken+Cup+PVmaMik4plxl.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

12. Hurley - He's our best option considering our current injuries. He is only learning the position and can only improve; At 27, Dineen will never be good enough.

Hold on a second. Dineen who actually is a center will never be good enough, but an average 30 year old winger who's played less than 10 games at center is our best option? I'd have Dineen over Hurley every day of the week.

For this game I'd have neither though and I'd go JJ/Keatley 10/12 axis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It's still a week too early for Luke Fitzgerald.

This was the icing on the cake of an excellent post.

Sean O'Brien
    Hold on a second. Dineen who actually is a center will never be good enough, but an average 30 year old winger who's played less than 10 games at center is our best option? I'd have Dineen over Hurley every day of the week.

For this game I'd have neither though and I'd go JJ/Keatley 10/12 axis.

You could argue that Hurley is still learning the position though, whatever about his age. On the other hand Dineen has been a centre for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

From a Leinster perspective I think it's crucial that Jack McGrath and Kirchner are both fit and starting. I'd fancy our pack against Munsters if so (not by much) and Zane just adds so much to our attacking game compared to Fanning. If we're missing those I'd be very nervous.

You could argue that Hurley is still learning the position though, whatever about his age. On the other hand Dineen has been a centre for years.

Converting a 30 yr old is not the answer. Hurley isn't good enough and wouldn't get into any of the other 3 provinces back lines (which says a lot about the squad managment in Munster). And while I agree that Dineen is limited, he's still a better option than Hurley.

Sean O'Brien
    Converting a 30 yr old is not the answer. Hurley isn't good enough and wouldn't get into any of the other 3 provinces back lines (which says a lot about the squad managment in Munster). And while I agree that Dineen is limited, he's still a better option than Hurley.

In fairness the Bleyendaal injury wasn't on the cards so there was going to be an alternative to Hurley. Munster really need to ask themselves whether signing players to arrive in November is worth it, as the last three have had poor first seasons (CJ and VDH) or got hurt (TB). Also a November arrival is pretty pointless if Munster are already playing catchup in the league and out of Europe after two rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Weather forecast is good anyway, might be somewhat less turgid so, but these matches have never been particularly entertaining from a free-flowing rugby point of view.

On paper (and I'm reading that paper through blue-tinted glasses, obviously), there's only one winner IMO. Leinster have been very up and down but Munster have been even worse. That said, I think part of the problem has been Munster's attitude, they just don't seem too pushed about the Pro12 but they should be well able to get themselves motivated for this.

The key questions for Leinster are:
    - is Jack McGrath fit? Bent did OK against Cardiff but I'd feel a lot better with McGrath starting.
    - can Reddan get up to the pace of the game? Seems to be physically fit but mentally not switched on at all.
    - what do we do with Ian Madigan? IMO, he should be wearing either 10 or 22 but nothing else.

If we got an injury update this week saying Kirchner was fit, it would be a massive boost.

If there's only a crowd of 40,000 there, it could negate Leinster's home advantage; I'd say the players would much rather be in a full RDS than an Aviva with 10,000 gaps.

There's only so long fans will put up with this, surely. And if attendances consequently fall off, they are in serious trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

This fixture has the ability to transcend form a little, so hopefully both teams will raise their games, kind of hard to tell what's happening with Munster, just assume the game Foley is trying to introduce, is at least partially the cause. This fixture announced the arrival of the Joe years for Leinster after a very shaky start, coincidence maybe, or possibly an indication of how the players view it's importance. Doubt it's going to be anything approaching a classic but hopefully both teams will raise their games massively for it. Leinster -5

Neil3030 wrote: »
    There's only so long fans will put up with this, surely. And if attendances consequently fall off, they are in serious trouble.

That's already happened. Despite official figures, the actual attendance hasn't threatened hitting 10K in any of the 3 home games so far this season.

stephen_n wrote: »
    This fixture has the ability to transcend form a little, so hopefully both teams will raise their games, kind of hard to tell what's happening with Munster, just assume the game Foley is trying to introduce, is at least partially the cause. This fixture announced the arrival of the Joe years for Leinster after a very shaky start, coincidence maybe, or possibly an indication of how the players view it's importance. Doubt it's going to be anything approaching a classic but hopefully both teams will raise their games massively for it. Leinster -5

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that this is often the first time both teams put out full strength squads.

That's already happened. Despite official figures, the actual attendance hasn't threatened hitting 10K in any of the 3 home games so far this season.

Only thing is if STHs aren't showing up, they've paid for their ticket anyway so the financial ramifications aren't as bad as they could be.
    Neil3030 wrote: »

This was nearly a virtue for Munster teams in years past. Didn't give a toss about the league, but give it everything in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that this is often the first time both teams put out full strength squads.

Yeah true, I'm sure that has had a bearing alright, not on this fixture though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This was nearly a virtue for Munster teams in years past. Didn't give a toss about the league, but give it everything in Europe.

But in so doing, they jeopardise revenues. ~10k per home league match is pissing millions away per season.

• Advertisement

Sean O'Brien
    The ticket prices are a tad expensive for this IMO, I'm not surprised it's only hit the 35k as of last week.

I think a lack of star power these days in the teams is a possible issue for the ticket sales. Years back in the Aviva you would have had the likes of Hayes, Wallace, ROG, Sexton, BOD, Howlett and Nacewa playing in this match. Add to that the current injuries to the likes of Healy, Strauss (?), D Ryan, POM, SOB, Kearney Jr, One Week too Soon and Earls.

For reference here are the teams from the first Aviva derby in 2010/11:

Munster:
    P Warwick; D Howlett, L Mafi (yc 45-55), S Tuitupou, J Murphy; R O'Gara, T O'Leary;
    W du Preez (M Horan 64), D Varley, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, D Ryan (M O'Driscoll 65), A Quinlan (D Wallace 55), D Leamy (capt), N Ronan.

Leinster:
    R Kearney; S Horgan (J Sexton 55), B O'Driscoll, G D'Arcy, L Fitzgerald; I Nacewa, I Boss (E Reddan 56);
    C Healy (H van der Merwe 61), R Strauss, M Ross (S Shawe 77), N Hines, D Toner, D Ryan, J Heaslip capt, (R Ruddock 77), S O'Brien.

2011/12:

Munster:
    J Murphy; D Howlett, W Chambers, L Mafi, K Earls; R O'Gara, C Murray;
    W du Preez, D Varley, BJ Botha; D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell (capt), D Ryan, N Ronan, D Leamy.

Leinster:
    R Kearney; I Nacewa, F McFadden, G D'Arcy, L Fitzgerald; J Sexton, I Boss;
    C Healy, R Strauss, M Ross, L Cullen (capt), D Toner, S O'Brien, S Jennings, J Heaslip.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The ticket prices are a tad expensive for this IMO, I'm not surprised it's only hit the 35k as of last week.

I think a lack of star power these days in the teams is a possible issue. Years back in the Aviva you would have had the likes of Hayes, Wallace, ROG and BOD playing in this match. Add to that the current injuries to the likes of Healy, Strauss (?), D Ryan, POM, SOB, Kearney Jr, One Week too Soon and Earls.

i expect the numbers will be increased by clubs minis and youths who can get tickets for €15

Ticket prices have been the same for a couple of years now, I just think there is a bit less enthusiasm from the more casual fan than when Leinster were winning European titles. It was a sell-out last year but the Six Nations feel-good factor helped, as did BOD's never-ending lap of honour.

I don't mean to stir the sh*t, but it probably wouldn't hurt from a marketing point of view if Munster were to win in Dublin occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

I think in order for the weekend fans to start going back to matches, Munster need a marquee signing. Someone who sets the average fans pulse racing.
    Unfortunately, before world cup year, this was not going to happen. But next season, they have to weigh up the realities of 9k per game as we have now, or 14k with an exciting world class player. I believe a Dougie type talisman is needed to get bums on seats at the seasons start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

And while Jack McGrath has recovered from a calf problem and Rob Kearney looks likely to shake off a dead leg in time to train on Thursday and face Munster,

Hopefully McGrath ok so

http://www.thescore.ie/sean-obrien-ankle-injury-1696850-Sep2014/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ticket prices have been the same for a couple of years now, I just think there is a bit less enthusiasm from the more casual fan than when Leinster were winning European titles. It was a sell-out last year but the Six Nations feel-good factor helped, as did BOD's never-ending lap of honour.

I don't mean to stir the sh*t, but it probably wouldn't hurt from a marketing point of view if Munster were to win in Dublin occasionally.

It's been awhile since it was actually a good game too if you ask me.

It's hyped up alot but the games haven't delivered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ssaye2 wrote: »
    And while Jack McGrath has recovered from a calf problem and Rob Kearney looks likely to shake off a dead leg in time to train on Thursday and face Munster,

Hopefully McGrath ok so

Healy's injury sounds quite nasty.

Could limit his explosiveness/carrying a bit too.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Healy's injury sounds quite nasty.

Could limit his explosiveness/carrying a bit too.

Yeah sounds horrible. Hopefully he comes back 100%

I think in order for the weekend fans to start going back to matches, Munster need a marquee signing. Someone who sets the average fans pulse racing.
    Unfortunately, before world cup year, this was not going to happen. But next season, they have to weigh up the realities of 9k per game as we have now, or 14k with an exciting world class player. I believe a Dougie type talisman is needed to get bums on seats at the seasons start

whats jean de villiers doing after the world cup?? :D

Hopefully McGrath ok so

Nothing on Zane, which probably means he's not in the running for this weekend. That'd be a big loss for us. At least Jack and Rob are ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Sean O'Brien

As great and all as that sounds, the funding needed for this to happen also.

would love to see Munster bring Henshaw in from Connacht and then pick up a 10 as I think a controlling 10 would improve their performances in an instant.

Maybe when Madigan comes in it will all be better....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

We do but we can barely afford to purchase a marquee never mind make a marquee signing ala Dougie, JDV

slingerz wrote: »
    As great and all as that sounds, the funding needed for this to happen also.

would love to see Munster bring Henshaw in from Connacht and then pick up a 10 as I think a controlling 10 would improve their performances in an instant.

Maybe when Madigan comes in it will all be better....

Controlling 10 you say? Madigan you say? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Teferi wrote: »
    This was the icing on the cake of an excellent post.

yes I smiled reading that post but properly laughed at the last line

Sean O'Brien
    We do but we can barely afford to purchase a marquee never mind make a marquee signing ala Dougie, JDV

Signing marquee players would bring more people through the gates though. If Israel Folau signed for Munster tomorrow can you imagine the interest and hype it would generate? Ticket sales would undoubtedly increase. Aside from the new stadium aura, the Munster team of 2008/09 had many world class players that people would pay to see.

Look at the effect Mils Muliaina arriving at Connacht had. I'm sure it had a positive impact on season ticket sales. Ask a Leinster fan how excited they were when they heard Brad Thorn was coming over.

I appreciate that it's difficult to find players before a World Cup year so I won't criticise Munster's recent signings. However I expect a big name signing for next season after RWC that will get people excited.

On another note, the poll results so far, SERIOUSLY PEOPLE?! I know SOB is from Carlow so he's basically half Munster but I think 17% is a bit harsh on POM...

• Advertisement

Ask a Leinster fan how excited they were when they heard Brad Thorn was coming over.

Kid at Christmas, in a candy store run by Santa Claus himself after hearing all my Christmas' had, in fact, come at once.

excited-kid-o.gif

Sean O'Brien
    Kid at Christmas, in a candy store run by Santa Claus himself after hearing all my Christmas' had, in fact, come at once.

Yeah when Folau signs next year I'll be the same.

Yeah when Folau signs next year I'll be the same.

That'll require a lot of travel over and back to Toulon won't it?

Sean O'Brien
    That'll require a lot of travel over and back to Toulon won't it?

Bien joué Monsieur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

sydthebeat wrote: »
    whats jean de villiers doing after the world cup?? :D

I'd have him back in a heartbeat,

The Indo website has a "classic encounters" article running, they have a clip up of Eric Miller's absolutely inexplicable kick and subsequent red card in 2001, got me thinking about all the other niggles over the years:
    - O'Connell's boot vs Dave Kearney's head
    - Quinlan on Cullen
    - John Hayes' stamp on Healy
    - Sexton getting all up in ROG's face
    - Contepomi vs Everyone

Maybe that's what we need to spice things up, a bit of raw agression to kick it off, get the fans baying for blood. The closest we got to cards last year was Kilcoyne's arse slowing the ball down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Sexton's flick to Mafi's face. Remember that as absolute facepalm moment.

Sean O'Brien
    The Indo website has a "classic encounters" article running, they have a clip up of Eric Miller's absolutely inexplicable kick and subsequent red card in 2001, got me thinking about all the other niggles over the years:
    - O'Connell's boot vs Dave Kearney's head
    - Quinlan on Cullen
    - John Hayes' stamp on Healy
    - Sexton getting all up in ROG's face
    - Contepomi vs Everyone

Maybe that's what we need to spice things up, a bit of raw agression to kick it off, get the fans baying for blood. The closest we got to cards last year was Kilcoyne's arse slowing the ball down.

thomond2006 vs molloyjh, South Stand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wheres everyone got their tickets for? I'm in Block 115, the livestock transfer from the Anglesea Terrace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm in 126.

thomond2006 vs molloyjh, South Stand

South Stand....Upper!

Don't forget Mafi on Darce in 2010 as well FL.

Don't forget Mafi on Darce in 2010 as well FL.

Remind me?

(If Mafi was involved, I'm sure it was a clothesline tackle?)

Remind me?

(If Mafi was involved, I'm sure it was a clothesline tackle?)

Pretty much. From behind. First year in the Aviva. Go to 15s in below.

Jesus, I'd forgotten about that one, absolutely sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Sean O'Brien
    Anyone have an idea what the view from 511 row H is like?.. Never been that high there before!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea what the view from 511 row H is like?.. Never been that high there before!

Seat%20511%20Row%20E.jpg

bennyl10 wrote: »

http://www.seatpic.com/view/319

Jesus, I'd forgotten about that one, absolutely sickening.

Yeah it was pretty bad. It's one that stuck in my head more than any other for some reason. Maybe it's because of the sheer disregard for Darce's safety or the complete lack of concern he showed after. That wasn't the only thing he did in that game either from memory. Didn't he take someone else out illegally later on. As though not getting carded for that hit just emboldened him.

Seat%20511%20Row%20E.jpg

Not a bad view for rugby. I often like the view from the South Upper because you can see how teams are aligning far better. But at the far end you do lack an bit of depth perception or something. Looks like that view could be a decent balance between the head on and side on views.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement