Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster's Drive for 8-0 vs Munster buildup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Doesn't seem to be any more word on Kearney in any of the papers today.

If Madigan does have to play FB, that pretty much writes Munster's playbook for them; big up-and-unders down Madigan's throat and set Zebo and VDH after them. It won't be pretty but they might get some joy from it, if I had a limited out-half and two flyers on the wings, that's what I'd do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Madigan's been pretty immense under high ball recently though, I think he'd snaffle that pretty quickly and Munster don't want to be kicking posession away if they don't need to. Madigan is too short for a FB imo, but he has great hands in the air and surprises a lot of people. The issue is what he does with the ball AFTER he catches it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

If Madigan does have to play FB, that pretty much writes Munster's playbook for them; big up-and-unders down Madigan's throat and set Zebo and VDH after them. It won't be pretty but they might get some joy from it, if I had a limited out-half and two flyers on the wings, that's what I'd do.

I blame the new pub seem to be a jinx 3/4 them unavailable it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I still think they'd bomb him. He's a decent enough fielder but he's not in the same league whatsoever positionally at 15 so gaps will appear back there and IK will look to exploit them. Also, in Jones, VDH and Zebo, Munster have 3 quick chasers who can all challenge in the air well. I reckon they'll look to expose him early and often.

Also, if it's Fanning and McFadden on the wings, he's not going to get a huge amount of cover from them. Both are solid but neither are commanding aerial players.

Also, Madigan's kicking from hand is patchy. I'd expect him to lose that battle on Saturday if employed in that role. Munster will look to gain territory from a kicking battle and force Madigan to kick to touch with little gain off their kick chase.

Leinster will need to put huge pressure on IK to disrupt his kicking and try to force him as deep as possible to execute so it limits any benefit. Jennings will be so badly missed.

Buer wrote: »
    Leinster will need to put huge pressure on IK to disrupt his kicking and try to force him as deep as possible to execute so it limits any benefit. Jennings will be so badly missed.

Actually, I think Ryan will do that job really well. He's not as good as either Jennings or SOB on the ground but he's very mobile and a big tackler so if his role is to get up in Keatley's face and force errors, I think he'll do just fine.
    Buer wrote: »
    Also, if it's Fanning and McFadden on the wings, he's not going to get a huge amount of cover from them. Both are solid but neither are commanding aerial players.
    McFadden is OK but, for quite a tall player, Fanning is BRUTAL in the air.

• Advertisement

Today I realised I use the word "also" far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Love to see Kelleher get a start at 15. Physically I think he is ready but mentally would it be fair to throw him into such a high profile game? Doubt it. Dardis is simply too small and hasnt even had much exposure at U20 level internationally. Not a fan of Madigan at 15 mind you either. What about SCM or Adam Byrne?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Love to see Kelleher get a start at 15. Physically I think he is ready but mentally would it be fair to throw him into such a high profile game? Doubt it. Dardis is simply too small and hasnt even had much exposure at U20 level internationally. Not a fan of Madigan at 15 mind you either. What about SCM or Adam Byrne?

Gopperth/Madigan have slotted in at FB for the past few games mid game, it would be mad to bring in a kid into this match. Its really not the time.

Start/sub in the games against weaker competition, it would be unfair to the players development imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Other than 1 poster on LF I haven't seen it anywhere myself. Was it in any of the papers or media outlets do you know?

Quint2010 wrote: »

Out of the lot I reckon Adam Byrne is most likely to gain favour with MOC. Big lad and an elusive runner. Trouble is keeping injury free. None of them should be anywhere near a Munster senior game though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

.ak wrote: »
    Madigan's been pretty immense under high ball recently though, I think he'd snaffle that pretty quickly and Munster don't want to be kicking posession away if they don't need to. Madigan is too short for a FB imo, but he has great hands in the air and surprises a lot of people. The issue is what he does with the ball AFTER he catches it.

That could work both ways, is Madigan really the sort of player you want running broken field ball back at you.

stephen_n wrote: »
    That could work both ways, is Madigan really the sort of player you want running broken field ball back at you.

Ideally. But then he tries silly things too... Remember the last time he played against Munster at FB in the Aviva?

Yup, to be honest. Madigan had a number of starts previously at 15. He's not really a mazy runner that's going to slither through gaps from a distance. He has a brilliant step and slides through a drifting defence which he won't be able to do from deep.

If Madigan was to run the ball back, I'd be instantly worried about his off the cuff approach kicking in and becoming isolated. I recall back in his first game there under Schmidt it was against Munster in LR. He fielded a deep punt, feigned to kick and tried to run it. He was hammered and conceded a penalty.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ideally. But then he tries silly things too... Remember the last time he played against Munster at FB in the Aviva?

remember this?

heart attack inducing stuff, but mightily entertaining :)

Latest count from ticketmaster is still just over 38k not over 40k as previously stated.

Poor

O'Driscoll factor. Also both sides will be missing a lot of marquee players.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    remember this?

Absolutely, the guy is an instinctively great player. No doubt. However that clip really has nothing to do with his decision making at FB, which is what we're talking about.

would prefer not to!

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The advantage of Madigan at full back would be the amount of space he has. We all know he can't cope when players get right up in his face and running back kicks would give him a bit of space and he could possibly get some counter attacks going. That said the rest of his fullback game is probably too limited for him to have any serious impact.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    remember this?

Remember this?

No one doubts Madigan's ability, it's his decision-making that is his undoing. In that clip, we were 6-0 up and cruising against 14 men. Suddenly, we're down to 14 as well, Ulster have a try and are right back in the game and we had to fight like dogs for the win, all stemming from an unnecessary and ill-judged play by Madigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

awec wrote: »
    The advantage of Madigan at full back would be the amount of space he has. We all know he can't cope when players get right up in his face and running back kicks would give him a bit of space and he could possibly get some counter attacks going. That said the rest of his fullback game is probably too limited for him to have any serious impact.

I would say hes a very instinctive player and his best moments are actually when people are up in his face and he can make a quick pass or step to beat his man, not when he has a lot of time and space to think about what he's going to do. If he's starting at fullback I'd be very worried

Remember this?

No one doubts Madigan's ability, it's his decision-making that is his undoing. In that clip, we were 6-0 up and cruising against 14 men. Suddenly, we're down to 14 as well, Ulster have a try and are right back in the game and we had to fight like dogs for the win, all stemming from an unnecessary and ill-judged play by Madigan.

At the time I was so pished at RK I never noticed how good Jackson is there. The charge down is good, but to take the ball on at full pelt while it's springing up past his ear is magic. He doesn't miss a beat.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Remember this?

just to clarify, i wasnt at all calling for IM to play at 15 against munster ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

How about Mick McGrath for the 15 shirt on Saturday! :D

I'm not at all convinced Rob is out. 1 poster on LFs does not a source make.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm not at all convinced Rob is out. 1 poster on LFs does not a source make.

Yeah that poster is going on my blacklist.

dun dun dunnnnn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Latest count from ticketmaster is still just over 38k not over 40k as previously stated.

Poor

Not surprising really when Munster fans arent even crossing the road to see games in Thomond. A trip to Dublin, for a game they are in honesty probably accepting they are significantly more likely to loose than win, is hardly an attractive prospect to them.

I predict 8-0 to Leinster

Matt O'Connor confirms @SeanOBrien1987 out for 5-6 months on the back of complications from shoulder procedure.

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sean O'Brien
    Not surprising really when Munster fans arent even crossing the road to see games in Thomond. A trip to Dublin, for a game they are in honesty probably accepting they are significantly more likely to loose than win, is hardly an attractive prospect to them.

There's plenty of Munster fans living in Dublin though at the same time.

I think the prices are a tad too expensive. Nearly €60 for a great seat, €75 for premium?

There's plenty of Munster fans living in Dublin though at the same time.

Donal Lenihan was cracking me up on the RTE podcast this week.

Hugh Cahill: How come Munster are getting less than 10,000 to their games but Leinster can attract 40,000 to the Aviva?

Donal: It's obvious to me anyway, all the Munster people live in Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Donal Lenihan was cracking me up on the RTE podcast this week.

Hugh Cahill: How come Munster are getting less than 10,000 to their games but Leinster can attract 40,000 to the Aviva?

Donal: It's obvious to me anyway, all the Munster people live in Dublin.

I like Donal I have to say.

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Matt O'Connor confirms @SeanOBrien1987 out for 5-6 months on the back of complications from shoulder procedure.

FFS

****e in a bucket anyway.

Poster on MF thinks the team is , from training today.

Cronin
    Casey
    Archer
    Poc
    Dave foley
    CJ
    Tommy
    Copeland
    Murray
    Keats
    Zebo
    Hurley
    Smith
    Conway
    Jones

Kilcoyne, Varley , Botha, Holland, POM , Williams, JJ, GVDH

Would have thought front rows reversed

Sean O'Brien
    Thornley and Quinlan were implying last night that POM could feature, but if you read the injury update it doesn't sound likely at all. If he is available, even for 15 minutes off the bench, that is a massive boost.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I like Donal I have to say.

Should have clarified, I don't think he was joking...

Sean O'Brien
    Should have clarified, I don't think he was joking...

Tbh there's an element of truth in it. A lot of people have to come to Dublin for job opportunities.

*sorry if that's stating the bleedin' obvious!*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Silly post really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

2 of us heading up from Limerick to meet up with 6 lads now living in Dublin and all Munster supporters. Case & point.

Tbh there's an element of truth in it. A lot of people have to come to Dublin for job opportunities.

You just came because you're a closet Leinster fan who wanted to come out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some even became Leinster STHs ;)

Sean O'Brien
    You just came because you're a closet Leinster fan who wanted to come out!
    phog wrote: »
    Some even became Leinster STHs ;)

:o

Well, it is a bit, and you're right, there have always been lots of Munster people in Dublin and we welcome them with open arms.

It doesn't explain why the crowds in Thomond have collapsed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sean O'Brien
    Well, it is a bit, and you're right, there have always been lots of Munster people in Dublin and we welcome them with open arms.

It doesn't explain why the crowds in Thomond have collapsed though.

Munster are getting lower attendances for a number of reasons... ticket prices, poor enough fare, overall lack of competitiveness in the league, as well as things like emigration... you'd expect they'll pick up for Europe, but maybe not.

Leinster are always going to get bigger crowds, because of the population if nothing else. But also because of more recent success, but even Leinster crowds haven't been as good this season iirc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Have to agree with munster people living in Dublin!

We're heading up to a few lads from Tipp and Kerry living in Dublin now for the match and make a weekend of it.

Couldn't get over the ticket prices, Pretty sure we're in the nose bleed seats!

Fireball07 wrote: »
    ...overall lack of competitiveness in the league...

Ah in fairness Fireball07 Munster are competing in the league. Sure didn't they make the knock-outs last season. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Sean O'Brien
    Going to this but I've never been more pessimistic.

Things aren't going well with the team at the moment.

A lot of sloppy and headless play mixed with poor discipline. The Edinburgh and Ospreys games were horrendous to watch from a Munster point of view.

Obviously Leinster aren't firing terribly well either, but they are doing enough to win the games usually.

The Cardiff game was in the bag, and then they let 2 tries in, and let Cardiff in with a chance, before securing the bonus point after a total f-up from Cardiff. It was madness.

Can't see it being high scoring.

Would like to see JJ starting, and bring a bit of flair to the number 10 spot. Keatley has been pretty hit and miss (mostly miss) this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sean O'Brien
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah in fairness Fireball07 Munster are competing in the league. Sure didn't they make the knock-outs last season. :p

I wouldn't mind if we were playing badly against good teams, but bar Glasgow, everyone has been average this year.

We should be winning the league tbh. I believe we are good enough.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if we were playing badly against good teams, but bar Glasgow, everyone has been average this year.

We should be winning the league tbh. I believe we are good enough.

I wasn't sure about the Ospreys as I hadn't seen them, but they were decent against you guys those last few minutes aside. It'll be interesting to see how they do over the course of the season.

Glasgow are the team to beat this season though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement