Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibraltar barred from the World Cup and FIFA Membership

• 27-09-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

Surely if this is the case then is not England's, Scotlands, Wales and NIs also illegal as none of these members are independent. They are just regions. There should just be a UK team. Why are the Faeroe Islands allowed to compete when they are not an independent nation.

American Samoa is a member of Fifa and yes you guessed it - its not fully independent. So they can take part in World cup qualifying campaigns .There are many others. And there is also an example of a country that FIFA and UEFA wont give membership to that many nations recognize as independent (including Ireland and Gemany) and thats Kosovo (where we have military Police stationed at the moment).

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/09/26/uk-soccer-fifa-gibraltar-idUKKCN0HL27T20140926

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Could never understand why Scotland, Wales, The North and England were allowed in FIFA and UEFA none of them are independent country's.

If they can have teams surely Catalonia,Basque country etc could argue they should be allowed to join UEFA and FIFA and field a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

That outcome was expected. They also only got UEFA membership after they went to the CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport), who ruled in their favour.

Will be the same for FIFA membership, will just take a few more years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Because ... FIFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

razorblunt wrote: »
    Because ... FIFA

I would agree with FIFA's decision though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Uk teams are in some group that makes the rules, assume that makes them exempt from this type of thing as they predate FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I know one part of the basis of a national team is having a football association. Not sure it makes all that much sense, but England, Wales, Scotland and N.I all have their own associations, each which can put forward a 'national' team.

That would seem to fly in the face of what Blatter quotes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Surely if this is the case then is not England's, Scotlands, Wales and NIs also illegal as none of these members are independent. They are just regions.

No, a region is like the West Midlands, East Midlands, etc...

Wales, Scotland and NI are countries in a union with England to form a sovereign state.

This thing is, the definition of "country" is a bit vague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Uk teams are in some group that makes the rules, assume that makes them exempt from this type of thing as they predate FIFA.

The International Football Association Board. The English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish FAs have one vote each; FIFA have four. It's a joke that four football associations have a 50% say in dictating the fundamental laws of the game, whilst the opinion of the other 205 FIFA members essentially means f*ck all.

Up until the late 50s, it was even worse. They all had two votes each, and a 4/5ths majority was required (not 3/4, like now) to pass votes/change the rules. So, the UK nations could stick together and make up whatever rules they wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wonder if this decision was caused by pressure from Spain? With Blather seeking re-election it seems a possibility

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Puerto Rico is in FIFA and is a US territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Similarly to this would be the likes of Swansea, Wrexham and Cardiff being allowed play in the English leagues.

I laughed when the English FA refused Celtic entry to the English leagues as they're not an English club.

Football, quite often is highly contradictory. This ruling has not surprised me in the slightest.

irishmover wrote: »
    Similarly to this would be the likes of Swansea, Wrexham and Cardiff being allowed play in the English leagues.

I laughed when the English FA refused Celtic entry to the English leagues as they're not an English club.

Football, quite often is highly contradictory. This ruling has not surprised me in the slightest.

I don't think it was just down to the FA. I think the Premier League or Football League clubs had a vote. Some were in favour. Ultimately it was voted against. I don't think it was simply because they were not English. That was my take from what I read in an article but that was many moons ago.

Augmerson wrote: »
    I don't think it was just down to the FA. I think the Premier League or Football League clubs had a vote. Some were in favour. Ultimately it was voted against. I don't think it was simply because they were not English. That was my take from what I read in an article but that was many moons ago.

Yeh ofcourse there was several other reasons, can't really find too much information. Just remember it being said by someone in the FA that Scottish teams should play in Scottish leagues and English teams should play in English leagues and that there should be no exception to the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The International Football Association Board. The English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish FAs have one vote each; FIFA have four. It's a joke that four football associations have a 50% say in dictating the fundamental laws of the game, whilst the opinion of the other 205 FIFA members essentially means f*ck all.

Up until the late 50s, it was even worse. They all had two votes each, and a 4/5ths majority was required (not 3/4, like now) to pass votes/change the rules. So, the UK nations could stick together and make up whatever rules they wanted to.

Given how corrupt FIFA is though i'm not sure thats a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

One big difference Swansea, Wrexham and Cardiff have played in the English system from the start Celtic wanted to join the premier league.

One big difference Swansea, Wrexham and Cardiff have played in the English system from the start Celtic wanted to join the premier league.

This is a debate for another thread but it still doesn't make it any less contradictory.

Yeh ofcourse there was several other reasons, can't really find too much information. Just remember it being said by someone in the FA that Scottish teams should play in Scottish leagues and English teams should play in English leagues and that there should be no exception to the rule.

But there is, an English team Berwick Rangers play in Scotland

Anyway a quick google search shows that the English league was established well before Swansea and Cardiff formed.

Berwick Rangers just stipulates my point that it's contradictory to say there is no exception to the rule...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

er Berwick Rangers are from England and play in the Scottish Leagues.. There are Tonnes of examples of teams playing in the wrong League.

We even have it in the LOI - Derry City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is a debate for another thread but it still doesn't make it any less contradictory.

It does. Celtic are already in a well established, full professional league.

The Welsh clubs didn't have a proper standard league at the time iirc.

Is it really a bad thing that theres 3 full functioning , professional Welsh clubs competing at a high standard rather than what would have happened and the Welsh league having 3 more teams of the standard of TNS, Port Talbot or Airbus UK?

er Berwick Rangers are from England and play in the Scottish Leagues.. There are Tonnes of examples of teams playing in the wrong League.

We even have it in the LOI - Derry City.

How many are recent and for the reasons of "we think we can make more money in another countries league" while switching from a fully professional league that teams qualify for CL group stages and beyond?

• Advertisement

It does. Celtic are already in a well established, full professional league.

The Welsh clubs didn't have a proper standard league at the time iirc.

Is it really a bad thing that theres 3 full functioning , professional Welsh clubs competing at a high standard rather than what would have happened and the Welsh league having 3 more teams of the standard of TNS, Port Talbot or Airbus UK?

How many are recent and for the reasons of "we think we can make more money in another countries league" while switching from a fully professional league that teams qualify for CL group stages and beyond?

Well, actually the Welsh clubs that became part of the English league system only did so fairly recently. Before that they were members of the Welsh FA. Now they are not allowed to enter the welsh Cup or Welsh league or welsh championship. They do so for Financial and competition reasons and for the FA'S sake.

Blatter himself would be very au fait with this situation as he is Swiss. Switzerland allows all six lichtenstein I believe senior teams compete in its league system. In fact Vaduz FC are very very handy as a result of this arrangement. (They are probably better than their national team.)

As this is a FIFA decision they have no problem with allowing Canadian clubs into the the US league. New Zealand clubs into the Australian league or Mexican clubs into South American Confederation Championships.

Finnish clubs play in the Swedish leagues. German clubs play in the Swiss leagues. Andorran clubs play in Spain. Spanish clubs play in France. The list is endless.

Not really sure what all that has to do with not allowing Gibraltar into FIFA though. They are two totally different discussions and not related. In fact all Gibraltar clubs play in Gibraltar, they have their own league and Cup and their own FA. They are a self governing entity not in the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Did Celtic ever officially apply to join the EPL ?

Or was it just talk that everyone gave an opinion opinion on ?

Also the small matter of Gibraltar not having a football pitch capable of hosting international matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

...and a NI team playing in the LOI

Also the small matter of Gibraltar not having a football pitch capable of hosting international matches

Neither does Andorra .. its a member of FIFA.

In fact Gibraltar is constructing/updating its stadium to be able to host competitive games at the moment. I was in Gibraltar in 2013 and saw their current stadium from a distance. Cant see why they arent allowed to use that and just not not permit people into the parts of the ground that arent seated. Its actually quite a nice ground for such a small place.

...and a NI team playing in the LOI

Well that his external reasons other than football

Well that his external reasons other than football

Yes but there are plenty of other examples. But, what has this got to do with Gibraltar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What a joke of a decision.

I wish FIFA got disbanded.

mikeym wrote: »
    What a joke of a decision.

I wish FIFA got disbanded.

There'd be no FIFA 15 or 16 tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Gibraltar picked up their first ever UEFA Championship point, at any level, when they drew 0-0 with Faroe Islands at St Mels Park, Athlone on Saturday night. It was in the UEFA Under 17 UEFA Championship Qualifying round.

Gibraltar picked up their first ever UEFA Championship point, at any level, when they drew 0-0 with Faroe Islands at St Mels Park, Athlone on Saturday night. It was in the UEFA Under 17 UEFA Championship Qualifying round.

Who was the home team ( nominally) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

They are just regions.

Firstly, given recent events, that really ****ing stings - cheers. :(

Secondly, Scotland & England are the original international football teams, the first international match took place between the two teams.
    The SFA is the second oldest national association, just after England.
    It was also one of the founding members of UEFA.

We may have voted away the opportunity to be a "Real" country, but we're more than a region thanks. Our SFA may be an absolute joke now, but don't underestimate our influence in the growing of football and our right to play as a national side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Eirebear wrote: »
    and our right to play as a national side.

You voted against it last week. :p

There should be no N. Ireland, Wales or Scotland international sides. I know they are there for traditional reasons but they don't have any more right than Gibraltar, Catalonia, Basque country etc.

doncarlos wrote: »
    You voted against it last week. :p

There should be no N. Ireland, Wales or Scotland international sides. I know they are there for traditional reasons but they don't have any more right than Gibraltar, Catalonia, Basque country etc.

But from an administrative football view point they have more of a reason for existing than the Spanish regions you mention. There is a separate Scottish and Northern Irish FA with leagues that are separate to the one in England. Basque and Catalan sides are all part of the Spanish FA and play in the Spanish league

Admittedly this means that Wales are in a more precarious position. They have a Welsh FA and league but their top sides play in the English leagues.

Wasn't this the main reason there was such a fuss over team GB soccer team in the Olympics , and lots of opposition to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Wasn't this the main reason there was such a fuss over team GB soccer team in the Olympics , and lots of opposition to it

Being an Olympic association is completely different from being a member of FIFA.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

greendom wrote: »
    But from an administrative football view point they have more of a reason for existing than the Spanish regions you mention. There is a separate Scottish and Northern Irish FA with leagues that are separate to the one in England. Basque and Catalan sides are all part of the Spanish FA and play in the Spanish league

Admittedly this means that Wales are in a more precarious position. They have a Welsh FA and league but their top sides play in the English leagues.

Yes but these only exist for traditional reasons. There was no FIFA or UEFA when they were formed. They don't come under FIFA's own definition of a country
    The FIFA Statutes, August 2014 edition, define a country as "an independent state recognised by the international community."

The Welsh FA only formed their league in the early 90s as they were worried that their international team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yes but these only exist for traditional reasons. There was no FIFA or UEFA when they were formed. They don't come under FIFA's own definition of a country
    The FIFA Statutes, August 2014 edition, define a country as "an independent state recognised by the international community."
    Seems rather vague. Should go with the Pointless criteria for determining a country

As ever, when we say country, we're looking for a sovereign state recognised by the United Nations

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Seems rather vague. Should go with the Pointless criteria for determining a country

As ever, when we say country, we're looking for a sovereign state recognised by the United Nations

That's a Pointless definition, if ever I heard one !

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Putting aside the British associations - FIFA ignores this completely as well. As they have plenty of members not independent countrys. And some independent countrys whom they wont allow join for fear of upsetting other members.

There were riots today in Hong Kong - and you know what? Hong Kong is not an independent country but it is a member of FIFA (along with its neighbour Macau - which is also not independent but a member of FIFA). They are just two self governing regions of China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Yes but there are plenty of other examples. But, what has this got to do with Gibraltar?

He wasn't replying to you, and your not in much of a position to question him on their relevance when it was you who brought them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

If you ain't sovereign you shouldn't be competing. We'll then see how many people in Scotland are "proud to be British", when all their teams representing them are taken away and incorporated in a UK team, where they'd be lucky to get to field one player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Who was the home team ( nominally) ?

The whole group took place in Galway, Athlone and Longford. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship_qualifying_round#Group_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You missed out on an England side as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The simple answer to all of this is also the most obvious - they didn't pay the unofficial fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Not unprecedented. Guadaloupe, Martinique and French Guinea are members of Concacaf and can compete for the Gold Cup(equivalent to the Euros) but are not members of FIFA so they cannot take part in World Cup qualifying. These are French overseas territories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The FA Premier League constitution states that only clubs from England and Wales may enter the league.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Not unprecedented. Guadaloupe, Martinique and French Guinea are members of Concacaf and can compete for the Gold Cup(equivalent to the Euros) but are not members of FIFA so they cannot take part in World Cup qualifying. These are French overseas territories.

Slightly different as their clubs are part of the French Football Federation. They take part in The French Cup for instance. A Club from Reunion got into the last 32 recently. Thats in the Indian ocean.

Advertisement