Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid range android

Options
  • 27-09-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have the HTC Desire X which has been just fine for me but it's upgrade time

Based primarily on phones available in my price plan I'm looking at the HTC Desire 610 or the Ericsson Xperia M2 or perhaps the Motorola G 4G. Not restricted to these but this is the kind of area I'm looking at. I'm swaying to the Desire 610 as the Desire X was a good phone. (only real drawback to it was the poor battery).

Which should I go for or are there any other phones I should consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Can anyone shed a little bit of light on this ? Maybe it's a stupid question ? You can tell me, I don't mind... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Moto G all day long - €149.99 and you can get the 1st gen with 4G (4.5" screen) or the new 2nd gen with a 5" screen (no 4G).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

greendom wrote: »
    Can anyone shed a little bit of light on this ? Maybe it's a stupid question ? You can tell me, I don't mind... :)

I'm looking to upgrade my phone soon also. I'm probably going to get a Google Nexus 5. They cost about £250 on Amazon last I checked. Think they are really well regarded.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Moto G all day long - €149.99 and you can get the 1st gen with 4G (4.5" screen) or the new 2nd gen with a 5" screen (no 4G).

Thanks for that, I can get that for free with the price plan I'm going for so it's definitely an option.

Fescue wrote: »
    I'm looking to upgrade my phone soon also. I'm probably going to get a Google Nexus 5. They cost about £250 on Amazon last I checked. Think they are really well regarded.

I've seen good reviews for the Nexus too. But it's not available with any of the phone providers in Ireland, from what I can see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I've seen good reviews for the Nexus too. But it's not available with any of the phone providers in Ireland, from what I can see

Ah OK. I'm abroad so I just want an unlocked phone.

Thanks for that, I can get that for free with the price plan I'm going for so it's definitely an option.
    Might I recommend buying it separately online or in store and going for a better value SIM only plan? The reason I say this is because you could essentially get a much higher value phone for free on a contract so they are making too much money off of you. What network are you with?

Might I recommend buying it separately online or in store and going for a better value SIM only plan? The reason I say this is because you could essentially get a much higher value phone for free on a contract so they are making too much money off of you. What network are you with?

I'm with Meteor, but looking at all the operators before making a decision. Thinking to stay with Meteor though and looking at their €29.99 p/m plan which includes 300 minutes, 300 texts and 1 gig of data as well as free texts and calls to other meteor numbers.

I'm with Meteor, but looking at all the operators before making a decision. Thinking to stay with Meteor though and looking at their €29.99 p/m plan which includes 300 minutes, 300 texts and 1 gig of data as well as free texts and calls to other meteor numbers.
    And if you just buy the phone outright, you can get a SIM Only 30 day contract with unlimited minutes and texts and 2GB of data for €30.

Or for €35 a month, you can get unlimited calls and texts and 15GB of data.

https://store.meteor.ie/sim-only-plans

And if you just buy the phone outright, you can get a SIM Only 30 day contract with unlimited minutes and texts and 2GB of data for €30.

Or for €35 a month, you can get unlimited calls and texts and 15GB of data.

https://store.meteor.ie/sim-only-plans

That's interesting, but I never fully use my allocation of calls and texts. I'd be close to the 1 gig of data but generally under that too. So essentially I'd be no better off financially from the plan but I would have paid up front for a phone as well.

• Advertisement

The Sony Z1 Compact became available on my price plan so I went for that. Streets ahead of the other devices available - delighted!

Advertisement