Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most disturbing thing you have witnessed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry, I was referring to the OP wanting serious replies and then only having a funny reply themselves :)

On topic, I've worked in a hospital and seen some pretty crazy **** but nothing I want to share for other's amusement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A man eating his own head.

Second time I used this post recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

On Friday I was at the outside at the back of the hospital in Galway with a friend and saw a man bend down and take a sh1t in the corner and wipe his arse with all the weeds and leaves around him. He looked normal enough too. Disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

kiteman wrote: »
    I just researched the pilots name, he was Jan Baran .
    At the time we were told he was a Boeing 747 pilot with Polish airlines.

I've also located a photo of the 3 Wilga aircraft in formation shortly before the crash.
    As I have less than 50 posts I'm precluded from posting a photo.
    Anyone want to offer an email address I can forward the photo to, so it can be uploaded.

Is this the photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

the lad downstairs was shot and killed.
    i was the first one on the scene will never forget the look of shock on his face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

I saw a mother beating a child on the street as I was waiting for a bus. The poor kid cried and cried and the most upsetting thing was nobody did anything. Awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

cactuspaw wrote: »
    I saw a mother beating a child on the street as I was waiting for a bus. The poor kid cried and cried and the most upsetting thing was nobody did anything. Awful.

Including yourself. I saw a woman do this in a chipper once, the lady in front of me told her if she raised her hand to the boy again, it would be the last thing she would do. It stopped right there.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

I was working in the UCD science block on the refurb of the cafe there, I think it's called elements.
    Came back to work after a long weekend and found a lad about 18 hanging in the utility tunnels under the block.

Turned out he'd crashed the fathers car on the Friday evening and being uninsured this was his way out of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I saw a dog been drowned in a bucket after he got hit by a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Daveysil15 wrote: »

That brings back memory's for me as a child when at my nan and grandads farm if there was ever any pups from the several sheep dogs they would gather them all up and put in a bucket, fill it with water, then put a board over bucket and slab,

I still to this day wonder what the hell went through all their minds letting kids watch crying as they went about this .

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

joe stodge wrote: »
    I was working in the UCD science block on the refurb of the cafe there, I think it's called elements.
    Came back to work after a long weekend and found a lad about 18 hanging in the utility tunnels under the block.

Turned out he'd crashed the fathers car on the Friday evening and being uninsured this was his way out of trouble.

poor lad :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

That brings back memory's for me as a child when at my nan and grandads farm if there was ever any pups from the several sheep dogs they would gather them all up and put in a bucket, fill it with water, then put a board over bucket and slab,

I still to this day wonder what the hell went through all their minds letting kids watch crying as they went about this .

Yeah I was only a kid myself at the time. It took so long for the poor little bugger to die too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Got off the train in some Godforsaken German city because I had to teach at a company there. The main train station looked like it was falling to pieces and there was a horrible stink in the underground. Thought where the hell have I come to? I go outside and the city is dull and grey, it's early in the morning and I'm not in the mood for this nonsense. Just as I look across the street, I see a shabby woman bending down. I thought she must be trying to pick something up... No, she's happily doing a poo right there on the footpath with people walking past her.

Okay, not the most disturbing thing I've seen but certainly not a good Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I saw a man fall as he was getting off a subway train, got his legs trapped in the 'gap' between the train and the platform and the train take off at high-speed, severing his legs as it moved.

I watched all of this in horror from the train on the other side of the platform. Was living in Canada at the time and managed to subsequently track him down to a hospital downtown. Couldn't find out exactly how it panned out as they don't release that information to just anyone, but I suspect things didn't work out so well for him.

One of those things you can't unsee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Working as a child protection social worker, called to Crumlin children's hospital, the burns unit. An 8 year old girl whose family were from Saudi Arabia was admitted with severe burns to her arm. Turns out the eight year old child 'gravely insulted' her father by cursing while the wife was making dinner. There was a pot of beans on the hob, he held her arm out straight and poured the saucepan full of beans over the child's arm. The doctors were taking off the bandages while I was there and I could actually make out the shape of the individual beans that stuck to her skin. The child was taken into care and I met the father several times afterwards and he was totally unrepentant. Said the little slut deserved it! I should have got a medal for exercising the restraint it took not to break the bastard's nose.
    Ya that's one experience that has crept I to my dreams a few times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Bassfish wrote: »
    Working as a child protection social worker, called to Crumlin children's hospital, the burns unit. An 8 year old girl whose family were from Saudi Arabia was admitted with severe burns to her arm. Turns out the eight year old child 'gravely insulted' her father by cursing while the wife was making dinner. There was a pot of beans on the hob, he held her arm out straight and poured the saucepan full of beans over the child's arm. The doctors were taking off the bandages while I was there and I could actually make out the shape of the individual beans that stuck to her skin. The child was taken into care and I met the father several times afterwards and he was totally unrepentant. Said the little slut deserved it! I should have got a medal for exercising the restraint it took not to break the bastard's nose.
    Ya that's one experience that has crept I to my dreams a few times!

Please tell me he was prosecuted??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

two people having sex in a nightclub in Leitrim. he was fairly drunk and she just sat on him and rode him like a horse. everyone was looking, when I say everyone I mean lots of lads were looking, girls were disgusted with the whole ordeal. I had a sneaky peek myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Witteneds a murder when I was 10 or 11 even made it on to crime call. Person was shot at point blank range. Always rember the blood bubbling out of the wound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Afroshack wrote: »
    Please tell me he was prosecuted??

Please tell me the 'child protection social worker' isn't divulging confidential case material on an online forum, where it might, if the right person read it, identify the parties concerned.

Or possibly they're making it up.

The former would be about as unprofessional as one might get in the field. The latter would be weird. Very weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

_Brian wrote: »
    When I was a kid I spent a good bit of time out in the truck with my dad.

We were in a sawmill in Leitrim one day and a young lad sawed his arm off, the amount of blood was unreal, panic and screaming, this was in the 70's beefier many folks had much first aid training and there were no mobile phones either.
    That reminds me of back in woodwork when the teacher took part of his finger off with the big electric plane. Boold everywhere.
    Or a time some idiot tought it was funny to wave a chisel at people's face only to catch someone just above the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 correa cristobal

Some pretty disturbing things here! In my country I worked as a journalist in a newspaper, and although I was a sportswriter I'd always hear about what the journalist covering the "events" section would have to report on and man there was some macabre shyte almost on a daily basis. Personally though, I'd have to say a gun to my chest and a family member being shot in the chest (he's ok thankfully) would be the worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

endacl wrote: »
    Please tell me the 'child protection social worker' isn't divulging confidential case material on an online forum, where it might, if the right person read it, identify the parties concerned.

Or possibly they're making it up.

The former would be about as unprofessional as one might get in the field. The latter would be weird. Very weird.

Yes, god forbid the man might identify himself as the perpetrator......just incase he forgot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Budd Dwyer committing suicide, not at first hand obviously. It's on YouTube, I would not advise anyone to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

Was working in a steel yard and the bosses 14 year old son pulled one of his fingers off in one of the machines he took off the glove and ran to his dad crying . I found his finger in the glove the worst part was his dad made him holed his hand out the window so he would not get blood all over his new car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Budd Dwyer committing suicide, not at first hand obviously. It's on YouTube, I would not advise anyone to watch it.

So why did you watch it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

lukesmom wrote: »
    So why did you watch it???

I didn't expect it to be so graphic, I still can't believe the camera stayed filming.

I actually found it while browsing corrupt politicians.

I remember watching archive footage of the Bradford city stadium fire. it was part of a fire safety course I was doing for work at the time. will never forget it seeing actual people on fire like that. I hope people reading this wont look it up online you would be doing a disservice to the people who died in that disaster by watching the footage like it was some form of grim entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 correa cristobal

I remember watching archive footage of the Bradford city stadium fire. it was part of a fire safety course I was doing for work at the time. will never forget it seeing actual people on fire like that. I hope people reading this wont look it up online you would be doing a disservice to the people who died in that disaster by watching the footage like it was some form of grim entertainment.

There's so many sadistic people out there tho. That's why there's so much bizarre shyte around :S

There's so many sadistic people out there tho. That's why there's so much bizarre shyte around :S

its the same with the budd dwyer footage. I just read about what happened on Wikipedia and that was enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

youtube! wrote: »
    I was doing a bit of maintenance work in Pats hospital many years ago and didn't realise the room I was working in was actually right beside the room they used for electric shock treatment, I heard a kind of a tortured mumble and looked through these glass doors to see a woman's head violently shake as she tried to scream, her mouth had something in it to stop the noise but I still heard it. Also was working in the same hospital a few weeks later and had to replace some filters in an air con unit, I walked in to find it was in the mortuary...body on slab, covered up thankfully.

And some people think Medicine is a science ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

shanec1928 wrote: »
    That reminds me of back in woodwork when the teacher took part of his finger off with the big electric plane. Boold everywhere.
    Or a time some idiot tought it was funny to wave a chisel at people's face only to catch someone just above the eye.

Exact same thing happened my woodwork teacher, chopped the top off and calmly wrapped it up and told everyone he'd be taking the rest of the day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

padd b1975 wrote: »

It's so awful. I really didn't expect there to be SO much blood. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

corsav6 wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened my woodwork teacher, chopped the top off and calmly wrapped it up and told everyone he'd be taking the rest of the day off.

Mine too! Was it a teacher from Donegal in a city centre school?

I am so glad there was no barrier around the perimeter as was common at the time. I know too many people still died but it would have been worse if there was a barrier as many escaped by running out on to the pitch. The worst thing is the man running out on the pitch, engulfed in flames. :(

On a similar subject, seeing a Youtube video of the The Station nightclub fire in Rhode Island chilled me to my bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Mine too! Was it a teacher from Donegal in a city centre school?

No, a school in Castlebar. I'd say around 15 years ago, maybe a little longer.
    I seen a cow stuck in a ditch years ago who had pushed her arse outside her body where she had been struggling to climb over for hours.
    Seen a guy bite his bottom lip off in a bike accident years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Once had to scan two dead German Shepherds for microchips to find their owners. They weren't chipped. A farmer had shot them because they had attacked his sheep (legally he can). They were already stiff in the van. He grabbed one by its leg to move it and the leg snapped. I'll never forget how they looked and the sound of the bone snapping.

Another time I saw a cat with an open wound infested with maggots.

I could go on. I work in a vet clinic, so I've seen some awful stuff.

Daveysil15 wrote: »

We had a kitten get hit by a car and not die instantly when I was young. We called the vet to have him put down. The local vet wouldn't have been able to come out for many hours (there was just the one in my local town) so we called my uncle who has a shotgun... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

John Doe1 wrote: »
    What is the most disturbing thing you have witnessed?

Serious replies please
    OPs with no statement/opinion, especially when they merely say 'Serious replies please' (sic).

Serious reply. You are welcome (sic).

Not your ornery onager

Macavity. wrote: »
    Have seen watched countless beheading/execution videos on the Internet. Dagestan massacres, hammer video, many cartel videos, the various terrorist videos etc etc. I find that they have little effect on me emotionally...
    FYP, and get a life.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Esel wrote: »
    FYP, and get a life.

In After Hours at 2.41am making pedantic posts and looking for grammar errors....who needs to get a life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I had never heard about Budd Dwyer and just viewed it.
    It is what it is. A man taking his own life. I didn't find it particularly horrific either.
    A lot of blood but I guess thats exactly what happens when you take your life in that fashion.
    I just found it very sad.

anna080 wrote: »
    On Friday I was at the outside at the back of the hospital in Galway with a friend and saw a man bend down and take a sh1t in the corner and wipe his arse with all the weeds and leaves around him. He looked normal enough too. Disturbing.
    Person, outside the back of the hospital, defecated (presumably a very urgent call of nature), then wiped thoroughly. Totally understandable, and not against the law.

You could have just looked away and given him some small amount of privacy instead of being a voyeur.

If you had turned around later and seen him sifting through it with a stick, I could understand your disgust.

Nursing is not for you.

Not your ornery onager

osarusan wrote: »
    In After Hours at 2.41am making pedantic posts and looking for grammar errors....who needs to get a life?
    Time zone? Pedantic, moi? :) Not grammar either.

Did you even read the empty OP?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

The strangest thing about the Budd Dwyer video was your man calling for a doctor. Think it may be too late for that chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

1. My dad's agonal respiration right before he died (at least I think that's what it was, these scary as f*ck gasps that seemed to have happened after he completely shut down). Had no clue it was gonna happen, it looked awful.
    2. a BBC documentary called the Hunt for Britain's Paedophiles, an absolutely outstanding documentary but it really pushed itself into territory that was extremely bleak and disturbing. No clue how it got onto television, even with everything censored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

2. a BBC documentary called the Hunt for Britain's Paedophiles, an absolutely outstanding documentary but it really pushed itself into territory that was extremely bleak and disturbing. No clue how it got onto television, even with everything censored.

A well-made albeit, as you say, disturbing documentary. Given what we know now, the docu only scratches the surface, although I do not mean that as a criticism of Scotland Yard, per se. (It is clear that investigations into high level perps have been closed down by M15 and Special Branch).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

beks101 wrote: »
    I saw a man fall as he was getting off a subway train, got his legs trapped in the 'gap' between the train and the platform and the train take off at high-speed, severing his legs as it moved.

I watched all of this in horror from the train on the other side of the platform. Was living in Canada at the time and managed to subsequently track him down to a hospital downtown. Couldn't find out exactly how it panned out as they don't release that information to just anyone, but I suspect things didn't work out so well for him.

One of those things you can't unsee.

I know a friend who was unhappy with life in London who decided to leave after witnessing an event that could have led to something like this.
    Some young fella on his way to work was shuffling off the tube int he congestion and slipped into the gap between the door and the platform. First he laughed it off, but couldnt get himself out and then started to panic as people were stepping over him to get into and out of the tube and carry on their own commute. Thankfully some passengers got him out.
    My buddy got to his desk, made up his CV and moved him to a new role back home shortly after the notice period was up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Macavity. wrote: »
    Have seen countless beheading/execution videos on the Internet. Dagestan massacres, hammer video, many cartel videos, the various terrorist videos etc etc. I find that they have little effect on me emotionally, I don't bother watching them anymore. They would probably be the most "disturbing" things I have seen. Budd Dwyer's death is actually quite tame tbh.

Unfortunately there is too many people like this in the world today, I'd worry about someone who can watch that sh*t and not be effected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Aged about 11 or 12, I saw protesters being shot by troops in Tehran. Also saw suspected informants being burned alive by protesters, the old tyre+petrol trick. That was pretty disturbing.

Aged about 13 or 14 I was in a car driving behind a bus on the freeway into downtown Lagos. One of the guys hanging onto the outside of the bus fell and was run over by the back wheels of the bus, it crushed his legs and pelvis. We managed to avoid him, and the bus didn't even stop.

Tarzana wrote: »
    I am so glad there was no barrier around the perimeter as was common at the time. I know too many people still died but it would have been worse if there was a barrier as many escaped by running out on to the pitch. The worst thing is the man running out on the pitch, engulfed in flames. :(

On a similar subject, seeing a Youtube video of the The Station nightclub fire in Rhode Island chilled me to my bones.

its a dreadful awful piece of footage. I wont forget it and I wont watch it again. some things should not be put up online at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement