Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most disturbing thing you have witnessed?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Myself and the husband arrived shortly after a road traffic accident in which a young boy was killed, it was probably the fact he was so young that got me.
    Emergency services had yet to arrive and he was lying in the road. He was dead at this point so nothing could be done for him. It really only hit me a day or two later when it was in the papers with pictures of him with his friends and his family. Such a waste of a young life. I didn't know him but I'll never forget him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Saw a lad lick a urinal that I had just pissed in so he could win a bet. Karma Nightclub has never looked the same since.

Saw a girl doing her business in a unrinal in the gents.

Not even a queue outside the ladies.

Attention seeking %$^&!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

razorblunt wrote: »
    I know a friend who was unhappy with life in London who decided to leave after witnessing an event that could have led to something like this.
    Some young fella on his way to work was shuffling off the tube int he congestion and slipped into the gap between the door and the platform. First he laughed it off, but couldnt get himself out and then started to panic as people were stepping over him to get into and out of the tube and carry on their own commute. Thankfully some passengers got him out.
    My buddy got to his desk, made up his CV and moved him to a new role back home shortly after the notice period was up.

My uncle had a brain haemorrhage in Acton Town (west London) in 1990 and lay collapsed on the Tube platform with people stepping over him for around 10 minutes until some elderly Jamaican woman saw he was ill and called for help, she even went with him to the hospital. It's amazing the sheer callousness you see in major cities, and chances are I've been guilty of it myself at some stage.

That having been said, I've often seen people get into distress in London and people have immediately stopped to help. I think the notion that everyone in the city is an unfriendly bastard tends to get overplayed at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

A man beating up his female partner on the train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Personally seen someone get hit by a car down a high way - fella flew a fair bit into the air, losing both his slippers while somersaulting over himself. Was in the car behind the car that hit.

And for another accident, though I didn't witness the immediate hit from the accident... I did see someone's head crushed with just the jaw and teeth protruding with brain matter everywhere... :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

FTA69 wrote: »
    My uncle had a brain haemorrhage in Acton Town (west London) in 1990 and lay collapsed on the Tube platform with people stepping over him for around 10 minutes until some elderly Jamaican woman saw he was ill and called for help, she even went with him to the hospital. It's amazing the sheer callousness you see in major cities, and chances are I've been guilty of it myself at some stage.

That having been said, I've often seen people get into distress in London and people have immediately stopped to help. I think the notion that everyone in the city is an unfriendly bastard tends to get overplayed at times.

Oh I agree, not trying to say that everyone in London is bad, it's just that was was the straw that broker the camel's back for my buddy. I think most of the motivation for his move came from tube incidents!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Twink on RTE this weekend.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I was driving behind a Asian lady tourist who knocked down a Junkie on the quays in Dublin. The junkie had just walked out in fornt of her without any warning,
    The Junkie was tossed up in the air like a rag doll and landed at the side of the road with a thud - I was sure she'd killed her.

We stopped and phoned an Ambulance, but the Junkie got up after a couple of minutes and walked off.

Ironically the amblulance was needed to take the Asian lady away who was hysterical after the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The last breaths of a loved one. :(
    I think when we see others dying or in dangerous circumstance, some are natually drawn to it out of curiousity, and perhaps to see what's causing it in order to protect ourselves?
    The thought of arriving at a crash scene / accident and finding someone I know and love is a nightmare I hope I never have to deal with, but is something I've read many times in the news about paramedics / gardai / firemen etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

My Dad has been critically ill for weeks now and it is so disturbing seeing him in the ICU, hooked up to a ventilator and completely sedated. The image flashes through my mind constantly, especially because he has been in so long the breathing tube in his mouth and food tube in his nose have sort of rubbed away at the skin and it looks sore.

Also, just the ICU in general. All these little white bodies hooked up to machines to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

A woman who had collapsed and died in a supermarket on Christmas eve about 10 years ago. They had a flimsy sheet over her, and a couple of those yellow 'wet floor' marker things around her whilst everyone else went on about their shopping. Kinda killed the Christmas spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

A woman who had collapsed and died in a supermarket on Christmas eve about 10 years ago. They had a flimsy sheet over her, and a couple of those yellow 'wet floor' marker things around her whilst everyone else went on about their shopping. Kinda killed the Christmas spirit.

Where was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

corsav6 wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened my woodwork teacher, chopped the top off and calmly wrapped it up and told everyone he'd be taking the rest of the day off.

I knew exactly who this was when I read it.

I bet he said something along the lines of "I really mous-tache"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Budd Dwyer committing suicide, not at first hand obviously. It's on YouTube, I would not advise anyone to watch it.

Poor Budd. The gore is bad, but its the sadness of it that gets me. He was innocent, he was thinking of his family benefitting from the pension he spent his life accumulating that was now going to be taken from him and them. To the last second, he was organising things and helping others, you can see him there handing out papers to somebody. But the faceless, merciless, unforgiving, corrupt 8astard of a "justice" system beat him. He was facing a possible 55 years in prison. I feel angry and dismayed after watching that.

And even if he wasn't fully innocent, you could surely sort out any shortcomings some other way. Budd even organised for his organs to be donated. Poor Budd. I'll say a prayer for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Budd Dwyer committing suicide, not at first hand obviously. It's on YouTube, I would not advise anyone to watch it.

Never heard of him until your post Padd, read about it on Wiki ( won't be watching the video ) Its very disturbing to think someone would do that in public on film, very sad for all involved :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

a Joe Dolan concert and him dead wid years :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

This year's IFTAs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

2. a BBC documentary called the Hunt for Britain's Paedophiles, an absolutely outstanding documentary but it really pushed itself into territory that was extremely bleak and disturbing. No clue how it got onto television, even with everything censored.

I watched the first part of this as it's all on youtube, I wish I hadn't. There's footage on there of stuff you'd never imagine would be allowed broadcast on tv, including a 6 year old being molested and raped, even with faces and genitals blacked out it's horrific viewing. The police department who deal with that stuff must have cast iron stomachs, one guy had over 9000 pics and images on a hard disk and the cops had to go through them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

Couple pretty horrible motorcycle crashes. No Helmets. Driving in the DR is dangerous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Not quite sure if this counts as its not quite in the same vein as others stories but on my way into work today i received a call from one of my onsite managers to tell me that the gardai were in asking questions about the big drug haul off the coast of cork. Needless to say it was unexpected, but one of the guys aressted had been in the week before and they wanted our camera footage from the day.

Ended up having a great chat with the garda while it was downloading and it turns out they have very satiafying days at work and love their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Being in A&E in Beaumont Hospital on a Friday night 5 years back after trying to do myself in when a group of goons came in from Barcode with two of them in a bad way faces had been kicked in, loads of blood, 40 minutes later the guys they had been fighting with turned up to restart the fight, I got admitted just as it was going on so never found out what happened but was some scary ****.

im pretty sure i know the crowd that turned up to kick things of again.Your story has been told to me before

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think that wins the Most depressing Dunnes in Ireland thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Watching a loved one pass away is just horrific. I'll never forget when my Mum was diagnosed with stomach cancer. She fought it like a lady, full of grace and she never complained about anything once, even though she was in pain and couldn't eat a thing for 3 months. Her weight loss was rapid and painful to watch.

I took 2 weeks off work to spend with her in June, not realising this would be the last 2 weeks she spent at home. I remember when I left home she was waving me off at the front door to go off back to work in Dublin. She was still the sprightly, beautiful, vivacious mother I always knew.

2 weeks later at the end of June, she was due to start chemo in hospital. I was just getting my school holidays from work and went back home to be with her. When I went into the hospital room, she was a shadow of herself. When she had started the chemo treatment, she had had a stroke. She lost the power of the right side of her body and couldn't speak to me. She could only communicate with her other hand and eyes. To make matters worse, she had fallen out of the hospital bed and she had bruises all over her face.

I will never forget seeing my mother in the bed hooked up to machines, not speaking and covered in bruises. She was a little pin in the bed as she couldn't eat either.

To me, she went through the most horrific death. I felt trapped and imprisoned in my own body watching her sufferso much. I do not know how I got through that period in my life. When she was moved to the hospice, it got easier as there was a nicer atmosphere and it was more family friendly. I would never wish that type of death on anyone. I feel so upset thinking of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I remember watching archive footage of the Bradford city stadium fire. it was part of a fire safety course I was doing for work at the time. will never forget it seeing actual people on fire like that. I hope people reading this wont look it up online you would be doing a disservice to the people who died in that disaster by watching the footage like it was some form of grim entertainment.

Yes I saw that as a child , and watched it again about 2 years ago , it's so fast!!!! That's probably why they show it as a fire safety video . Playing a game of soccer to complete devastation in 5 mins . But still you'd never think so many people died from the footage , you imagine they all pretty much get out but they closed the fire exits and people died of smoke .

I would say it isn't the worse thing I've seen tho online, and although so many people died its a great video to highlight the potential dangers of fire and the fuel to the fire that makes fire such a ferocious risk in buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

A few years ago, a woman smashed out the window of her apartment across the road from mine, threatening to jump out. It was only one storey up, but you'd never know what could happen from that height.

The Gardai were already there by the time I saw what was happening, trying to talk her down. While I did want to see what happened, I also didn't want to potentially see what would happen if she did jump.

It was touch and go for a while, but fortunately about 30 minutes after it started, they managed to talk her down, and a few minutes later she was taken away in an ambulance.

What struck me as the strangest part though was the aftermath. After she left, all the business owners and people living around there were out with their sweeping brushes, clearing away all the broken glass, and all evidence that it had ever happened.

Seriously, 10 minutes after the event, other than a 1st-storey window with no glass in it, you'd never have known anything had happened at all. It all felt very surreal, like something out of The Wicker Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

the_monkey wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is too many people like this in the world today, I'd worry about someone who can watch that sh*t and not be effected.

I dunno, Id consider myself quite an emotional person but Im not really affected by videos like that online either, I dont even know the people in them personally and Im not witnessing it in person. Feels so far removed from reality that it doesnt affect me I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

The gaurds shooting two armed robbers one dead instantly the other wasnt far off but survived. Absolute pandemonium outside the centra that friday.
    To make things worse they had the road closed for 3 days had to go the long way round to the pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

...__... wrote: »
    The gaurds shooting two armed robbers one dead instantly the other wasnt far off but survived. Absolute pandemonium outside the centra that friday.
    To make things worse they had the road closed for 3 days had to go the long way round to the pub!

Lusk?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭edber2011

Not as bad some of your tales but as im a night time truck driver and animal lover I have noticed a horrible
    thing that owls are doing lately by sitting in the middle of the road.Only last night I had to come to a full stop
    and the owl just looked at me for a few seconds and then flew up into the nearest tree and looked at me some more.
    I had a few weeks previously encountered the same thing but unfortunately I couldn't stop in time.
    But as I was taking my time I was able to slow down and stop and watch this beautiful bird just sat there.
    There was no road kill in both instances that would explain why the birds were on the road and even the noise
    and lights of a big artic lorry didn't scare them off is kinda worrying as to why these birds are behaving like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I have found 2 bodies now. Both in/ having been in water.

The most recent was spotting it in the lock at Portobello Bridge one morning on my way to work at 5am.

The first was the worst though. Did my apprenticeship on a golf course in Scotland and the course was down river from the Forth Bridges.

Every Monday we took a sort cut over a cove to look for any golf balls that might have gone in the water during the weekend when the tide was in.

At the time the beach was covered in the plastic sheeting scafolders use that got blown off the rail bridge and lifting one up found the body of a male.

It turned out that he had jumped of the road bridge 3 weeks previous and been in the water since. (we were only about 5-6 miles down river from the bridge).

I have seen some worse things on the internet but I will never forget the smell.. That will stay with me forever.

Never found out who he was either..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

porsche959 wrote: »
    A well-made albeit, as you say, disturbing documentary. Given what we know now, the docu only scratches the surface, although I do not mean that as a criticism of Scotland Yard, per se. (It is clear that investigations into high level perps have been closed down by M15 and Special Branch).
    It doesn't really cover the internet much at all, iirc? The whole distribution side of things is presumably very different now but I can't imagine the types of people involved or the production side have changed much. :(

I don't think I regret watching it or anything, but I certainly won't again.
    krudler wrote: »
    I watched the first part of this as it's all on youtube, I wish I hadn't.
    Sorry man, I did say it's pretty much the most disturbing thing I've seen but I guess it'd be pretty easy to imagine that being a bit of a hyperbolic thing to say. It's a bit bizarre that something like Jonathan Ross prank calling Manuel can receive thousands of complaints and form a national scandal while there's hardly much mention at all of that documentary and Ofcom online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

beano345 wrote: »
    Lusk?

no lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

the most disturbing thing i seen today was me meter at 80000 already

Advertisement