Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOUSE PLANT I.D. PLEASE.

Options
  • 28-09-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what this plant of mine is please and should it be in a larger pot?.
    I don't feed it, just give it water from time to time, have re-potted it once. It was a fraction of this size when I inherited it and normally plants die on me but this one has already sprouted off-shoots that I've re-potted and it also has flowers/seed pods each year that are on stalks about a foot high.

Any info appreciated, many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Its a Haworthia. Treat as a cactus. Keep in a bright place and almost dry in winter. Propogate from offsets which form at the base. Use cactus compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I thought it was a partridge breast aloe, never heard of a Haworthia. Lovely plant, I've a few in my office window.

Definitely treaty as a cactus, and keep it dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Whoops! sounds as though I've been watering it too much, but having said that It's definitely grown a lot since I've been doing so. It's on a window sill all the time so plenty of light. I was told by a neighbour that it was some sort of aloe.
    As I said, I've re-potted 2 offshoots so what are the flower like shoots that grow to about a foot or so? they come out from between the leaves.

How big will it grow if I put it in a larger pot? is it a plant that grows according to it's root room?.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Speedsie wrote: »
    I thought it was a partridge breast aloe, never heard of a Haworthia. Lovely plant, I've a few in my office window.

Definitely treaty as a cactus, and keep it dry!

+1, it's aloe variegata, practically bomb proof.

rje66 wrote: »
    +1, it's aloe variegata, practically bomb proof.

Thanks for this. It needs to be bomb proof with me looking after it.:)

Thanks folks.

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd post an update on this beast. It's gone berserk!
    Reading back to the earlier replies I may be over watering it.

Original shoots only grew to about 30cm but this currant one is over 110cm. and doesn't appear to have stopped growing.

Brings back memories of the film Day of the Triffids:eek:.

Just thought I'd post an update on this beast. It's gone berserk!
    Reading back to the earlier replies I may be over watering it.

Original shoots only grew to about 30cm but this currant one is over 110cm. and doesn't appear to have stopped growing.

Brings back memories of the film Day of the Triffids:eek:.

The flowering spike is seeking light.

The flowering spike is seeking light.

It gets plenty of light. It's always on a window sill where it gets all the afternoon sun, including warmth through the double glazing and from the radiator below the window. Only moved it to get a decent pic.

It will run out of light soon as it's nearly at the top of the window!

It gets plenty of light. It's always on a window sill where it gets all the afternoon sun, including warmth through the double glazing and from the radiator below the window. Only moved it to get a decent pic.

It will run out of light soon as it's nearly at the top of the window!

Oh, OK just looked a little dull in the photo.

Tbh, I had one in the conservatory last year and the flower some ended up about six foot, this year it was only about a foot. The plant dies as it wishes!

(It should stop before it drills a hole in the ceiling.... :) )

Oh, OK just looked a little dull in the photo.

Tbh, I had one in the conservatory last year and the flower some ended up about six foot, this year it was only about a foot. The plant dies as it wishes!

(It should stop before it drills a hole in the ceiling.... :) )

:):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Nearly indestructible, the partridge-breasted aloe. One of mine kept bursting through the pots it was in: the roots are very vigorous indeed.

If it makes thin, insignificant flower spikes from time to time you can remove them.

The mature plants get sort of sideways crooked and saggy and really it's better to renew them from the "babies" quite regularly.

Mine eventually died of being left out in the garden over winter: they don't like frost! (and it was a very cold winter)

Advertisement