Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog's Dry food for weight loss

• 28-09-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

My dog needs to lose some weight, he's very active but I was just over feeding him. No excuse I thought I was feeding him the right amount. I've decreased the amount of food I'm giving him and increased his excersise by going jogging with him but he's obviously starving and has stolen food for the first time ever.

A friend of mine recommended getting a "metabolic" dog food to help. I see hills and royal canine both have that type of food available but I'd be lying if I said cost wasn't an issue. If they are the best for him I'll find the money but I see other brands like husse and salters that have light or senior feeds that are cheaper are they the same as the hills/royal canine feeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have you tried adding a few veggies to his food?

Also what are you feeding at the moment?
    Someone may recommend an alternative, and what's your budget?

I have my small dog on a diet at the moment, she's prone to weight gain, I feed a grain free food, add a bit of left over veg, no treats, just carrot or dry nuts.
    I don't reduce the food by much, just a little and try to up the exercise. It's slow going as she's a lazy bitch, she strolls where the other dog runs up and down on walks doing about 4 times the mileage. Him I have a problem keeping weight on from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 broganire

Do you cook the veggies or feed them raw?

At the moment I'm feeding him either Husse adult Prima or skinners field and trial.

It depends, usually cooked left overs from dinner is what they get, no spuds, just carrots, broccoli, peas, squash, sweet potato, green beans, spinach etc.
    They eat some raw (or even frozen, broccoli for example), carrots, peas off my veggie patch.
    I feed barking heads dry and lukullus wet food (grain free)with a few veggies added, just a piece of broccoli and few chunks of carrot or something.
    I also give tinned mackerel or sardines in tomato sauce, couple of times a week.

My two will both do tricks for raw peas, carrot pieces, and the male even for some salad greens (especially spinach).
    From what I remember about the husse the ingredients aren't great, it's way over priced for what it is.
    You could look at how you're feeding it too, try kongs, slow feeding bowls, smaller meals more often, and be careful to weigh the food to give the correct amount.

I've never tried the diet foods, so can't advise, hopefully someone can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

I have used the "diet" dog food and did find it helped, the main reason I used it though was my dog had issues with one of his knees and I really needed to get the weight down.

My dog has put a bit of weight on again. Vet recommended 10% less food so that's what I've been doin and he has lost weight again. I am not using any special food this time and he still gets the odd treat throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 broganire

Bayley1, what diet food did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

broganire wrote: »
    Bayley1, what diet food did you use?

I used Royal Canin, from what I understand it gives the dog the same bulk as ordinary food with less calories.

Shop bought brands also do weight control food. I'm not sure of the price but I think the Royal Canin is about €15 for the smallest bag.

I think of you are exercising your dog more and feeding less, this is probably why he stole food. I think I'd be inclined to do one or the other.

If you are exercising him more he's using more calories and then you are also giving him less calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You're actually quite lucky to be doing this at this time of year, as pumpkin is a fantastic thing to add to dog food to help reduce weight. Tinned pumpkin is much easier to use, but hard to get there, but plenty of pumpkins in the shops at the moment. If you replace some of the dry food with the same amount of pumpkin, it is high in fibre, the dog will still feel full, but won't be getting as much fat and calories.

Lidl had pumpkins for 99c today!
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh I'm getting a pumpkin tomorrow so! :D

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh I'm getting a pumpkin tomorrow so! :D

And the bonus is, you can make pumpkin pie for yourself, and roast the seeds :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

My dog was put on the Hills Prescription Diet food by our vet and he had to attend a weight loss clinic every few weeks to monitor his weight loss. He was starting to develop problems in his shoulder. He had to lose 10kg :eek: I know, I know...we were killing him with kindness.

Our poor dog found it very difficult, he was obviously starving and began stealing food. We had to take everything away straight after our meals and food discarded in the outside bin as he would raid the bin in the kitchen any chance he got. All food had to locked away as he would jump up on the counters to get anything that was there.

I know it's difficult but you must persevere with the diet no matter how sad or hungry they look! Our guy has now reached his target and is allowed an increase in his food for maintenance. The difference in him is amazing. He's almost like a pup again.

Sorry I can't offer and advice regarding a different brand of food as we just went with our vets advice. Good luck.

Picking one up myself tmrw, they were big, but lumpy looking, probably the ones not pretty enough for Halloween!

Just a heads up they're 99c per kg not 99c per pumpkin...

tk123 wrote: »
    Just a heads up they're 99c per kg not 99c per pumpkin...

Appologies everyone, and damn!
    Was heading out to get one after work. :(

I got one since 1kg of frozen veg is around 99c anyways :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

muddypaws wrote: »
    You're actually quite lucky to be doing this at this time of year, as pumpkin is a fantastic thing to add to dog food to help reduce weight. Tinned pumpkin is much easier to use, but hard to get there, but plenty of pumpkins in the shops at the moment. If you replace some of the dry food with the same amount of pumpkin, it is high in fibre, the dog will still feel full, but won't be getting as much fat and calories.

Oh fabolous.My sock eating muppet needs to loose weight as well, whilst i supplement his food with raw carrots (he loves them), pumpkin will probably be better..will get one..or 2 maybe. :-)

mymo wrote: »
    Have you tried adding a few veggies to his food?

Also what are you feeding at the moment?
    Someone may recommend an alternative, and what's your budget?

I have my small dog on a diet at the moment, she's prone to weight gain, I feed a grain free food, add a bit of left over veg, no treats, just carrot or dry nuts.
    I don't reduce the food by much, just a little and try to up the exercise. It's slow going as she's a lazy bitch, she strolls where the other dog runs up and down on walks doing about 4 times the mileage. Him I have a problem keeping weight on from time to time.

just be careful with the nuts, some types of nuts are poisonous to dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

doubter wrote: »
    just be careful with the nuts, some types of nuts are poisonous to dogs

Think they mean dry dog food, which people refer to as nuts sometimes and not actual nuts.

andreac wrote: »
    Think they mean dry dog food, which people refer to as nuts sometimes and not actual nuts.

:P you are probably right...lol :rolleyes:

doubter wrote: »
    Oh fabolous.My sock eating muppet needs to loose weight as well, whilst i supplement his food with raw carrots (he loves them), pumpkin will probably be better..will get one..or 2 maybe. :-)

Yeah, pumpkin is great as its high in fibre, so the dog still feels full, carrots just pass straight though. I wonder if squash does the same thing? Almost the same I think, so could work.

• Advertisement

Butternut squash is 49c in Dunnes specials - cheaper and easier to carry alternative to pumpkins :pac: Bailey went mad begging for it the other day when I was making soup! :p

Advertisement