Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Cafe in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fur real? you've got to be kitten me. I'm very Paw-sitive about this.

Not sure if it would work as well here as it does in Japan. A lot of people there really want pets but can't have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Will they be making that cat-poo coffee there? That would be a catastrophe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this will be slated for somewhere in S Dublin. Can't see it doing a roaring trade in Longford or Offaly tbh. Feeding the feckers is considered "slightly overdoing it" there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

. A lot of people there really want pets but can't have them.

It's the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Sounds like a place for posh cnuts to go to with their cats. Hardly relevant for us in Ireland as we're broke as fcuk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Jesus the thought of it makes my skin crawl! Cats running,licking themselves, shedding, rubbing themselves against you - and you trying to eat/drink in the midst of it all?

Gives me the dry boke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Jesus the thought of it makes my skin crawl! Cats running,licking themselves, shedding, rubbing themselves against you - and you trying to eat/drink in the midst of it all?

Gives me the dry boke!

It's not really any different from eating or drinking at home if you own a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Suas11 wrote: »
    It's the same here.

are there really that many people, who can't have cats though?

that they'll go to a cafe?

Idk, when I was renting, the amount of places that advertised as "NO pets", and on viewing, I'd have a quick chat and be like" I love the place, but there's one concern, I have a cat, She's very placid, are you sure you're totally against that?"
    "hmm, I'll just have a think about it".
    "Sure sure, but I have the deposit now if you'd like"
    "Oh ok, certainly, it;ll be fine, please sign here"

Seriously, most landlords are open to having a cat, it's the dogs they don't want. (and if they have alot of fancy furniture, in this case offering a higher deposit will generally calm any of their worries. )

I know there's a couple of cat cafe's out in the states, and I know they're VERY popular in Japan, I just can't see it being so here. I mean stray cats are everywhere.
    And even if your landlord was dead set against it, you could still probably befriend the local street cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Khat tea is a controlled substance here afaik its also used to fund al shebab in Somalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Sounds like a place for posh cnuts to go to with their cats. Hardly relevant for us in Ireland as we're broke as fcuk

It's for people to go to and interact with cats belonging to the cafe. I'm not sure if cat cafes allow people to bring their own cats there.

Actually, I can see cat cafes not allowing outside cats into the cafe, unvaccinated cats could be a risk to the cafe cats
    catallus wrote: »
    Will they be making that cat-poo coffee there? That would be a catastrophe!

Your thinking of the civet cat (which isn't actually a cat, it's looks more like it's in the stoat/weasel family), unfortunately civet cat coffee has become cruel as they're now being farmed for the coffee - http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/sep/13/civet-coffee-cut-the-crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

are there really that many people, who can't have cats though?

that they'll go to a cafe?

Idk, when I was renting, the amount of places that advertised as "NO pets", and on viewing, I'd have a quick chat and be like" I love the place, but there's one concern, I have a cat, She's very placid, are you sure you're totally against that?"
    "hmm, I'll just have a think about it".
    "Sure sure, but I have the deposit now if you'd like"
    "Oh ok, certainly, it;ll be fine, please sign here"

Seriously, most landlords are open to having a cat, it's the dogs they don't want. (and if they have alot of fancy furniture, in this case offering a higher deposit will generally calm any of their worries. )

I know there's a couple of cat cafe's out in the states, and I know they're VERY popular in Japan, I just can't see it being so here. I mean stray cats are everywhere.
    And even if your landlord was dead set against it, you could still probably befriend the local street cat.

Renting with cats is very hard. It's frustrating as most people would be willing to pay a higher deposit to cover any potential damage. So many landlords are anti-pet but children can cause more damage than a pet ever would. A cat is less likely to wet the bed than a child and the cat certainly won't be drawing on the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this will be slated for somewhere in S Dublin

I'm going with "The Firhouse Purr House" or "Puss in Booterstown".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Great idea if it gets the nutjob cat lady that lives next door to me out of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Too cute, I'd love to run a cat cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

how about a cat internet café as well? it would be a handy place for little moggies and furry felines to answer their emails and update their facebook pages. the coffee served could also be fair trade coffee too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Renting with cats is very hard. It's frustrating as most people would be willing to pay a higher deposit to cover any potential damage. So many landlords are anti-pet but children can cause more damage than a pet ever would. A cat is less likely to wet the bed than a child and the cat certainly won't be drawing on the walls.

Like I said,
    I've rented a fair bit, it's never been an issue. Don't ask before viewing the property, ask them in person.

People judge, and when they see you, they've already decided if you're a good/honest person or not, and if they want to rent to you or not.

If you ask through email, it's always a clear no.

I ask to view the property first, have a chat, and then during viewing make mention that I have a cat.

I've not had a landlord say no to me yet, despite being totally against it normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Something about that whole concept makes me very uncomfortable, it's like a cathouse, but with real cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

how about a cat internet café as well? it would be a handy place for little moggies and furry felines to answer their emails and update their facebook pages. the coffee served could also be fair trade coffee too!!

They're not able to use human computers. Selfish man has yet to develop a device compatible for moggies.

They're not able to use human computers. Selfish man has yet to develop a device compatible for moggies.

that's quite unfair to say the least. the cats would have a hard time holding up coffee cups too I should imagine.

to be quite honest when you see signs in shops stating no dogs/pets allowed its quite disheartening. just another form of racism in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Suas11 wrote: »
    It's the same here.

It's quite different here, the culture and the type of city. Tokyo alone has twice the population of our country with sky rise apartments, that's what makes it possible there. The people there seem to want it a lot more too even in smaller cities. No demand for it here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Those places should be illegal.

Cats not being allowed to sleep when they want, being forced (as much as you can force a cat) to sit on/near and be petted by strangers.

Here's what a Japanese pet shop looks like. All day, every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

We could make the cats do tricks for our amusement.

Maybe not.

We could make the cats do tricks for our amusement.

Maybe not.

they could do card tricks or maybe saw a lady in half!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

osarusan wrote: »
    Those places should be illegal.

Cats not being allowed to sleep when they want, being forced (as much as you can force a cat) to sit on/near and be petted by strangers.

Here's what a Japanese pet shop looks like. All day, every day.
    Thats not a pet shop thats the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

health n safety numptys would have a spaz attack if something like this pops up, think of all the asthmatic children who are going to suffer when they go into this type of establishment.
    Good god the slimy solicitors would have a field day.

There is a place like this in Paris, and its become a haven for people that have cancer, apparently the purrs of cats when they sit in your lap soothes the ravages of cancer. Not a cure obv, but just as a peace of mind type of experience.

http://www.stripes.com/military-life/travel/paris-getting-cozy-with-purr-isians-at-caf%C3%A9-des-chats-1.265582
    http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20131222-parisian-cafes-now-with-cats
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2431967/Cafe-des-Chats-Cafe-felines-roam-customers-health-benefits-purr-therapy.html

edit: add links

Advertisement