Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithfield building site ?

Options
  • 28-09-2014 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just noticed over the last week or so they are taking the boards down on the site just before the family courts on the Luas line.

Always thought this site would make a nice park.

Anybody know what's happing on the site ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JosDel wrote: »
    Hi

Just noticed over the last week or so they are taking the boards down on the site just before the family courts on the Luas line.

Anybody know what's happing on the site ?
    The site is excavated to a depth of about 5-6 metres.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I can see that...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Didn't a UK company buy that to develop a few hundred units of dedicated student housing, or was that another site on Church St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Robbo wrote: »
    Didn't a UK company buy that to develop a few hundred units of dedicated student housing, or was that another site on Church St?

It's the site behind the Garda station where the student housing will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gali_ll

The site is owned by the OPW. So far they have only taken down the hoardings for some reason.

I noticed that Ciaran Cuffe called for it to be made into a park last March, saying that
    the OPW had said it is keeping it for 'strategic reasons' in an answer to a Dail question.

Don't know if this is what is join going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

They replaced it with green security mesh like the one at the airport. The wooden one was constantly being repaired. OPW have no plans on redeveloping the site and have been grilled several times about just leaving a prime site in the city vacant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's also to do with derelict sites etc DCC a carried out a derelict site/ under utilised site survey and
    DCC are forcing land owners to tidy up derelict sits by removing the hoarding etc and replacing with more eye friendly green fencing.

It has happened on many sites around the place including lands in Clongriffin, pelletstown etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Esel wrote: »
    The site is excavated to a depth of about 5-6 metres.
    I can see that...
    gali_ll wrote: »
    I noticed that Ciaran Cuffe called for it to be made into a park last March...
    A public park? How would access happen?

The site is basically a huge, deep, hole in the ground.

Edit: A car park there would be feasible.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Esel wrote: »
    A public park? How would access happen?

The site is basically a huge, deep, hole in the ground.

Edit: A car park there would be feasible.

Theres a public park across from museum luas stop,thats not actually a park,its an old grave yard,for war dead.

gali_ll wrote: »
    The site is owned by the OPW. So far they have only taken down the hoardings for some reason.

I noticed that Ciaran Cuffe called for it to be made into a park last March, saying that
    the OPW had said it is keeping it for 'strategic reasons' in an answer to a Dail question.

Don't know if this is what is join going on.

The red brick flats on Benburb St is the first flat complex built in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

I think the courts service have their eye on this site for family courts and a new HQ.

I remembered it being mentioned and went a googling...

"This involves the construction of a new building on a derelict site at Hammond Lane, adjoining the Four Courts, that would house the family courts and the Courts Service headquarters."

http://archiseek.com/forum/topic/the-four-courts-a-possible-restoration/page/2/

And The Courts 2013 annual report says this...

Development of Dublin Family Law Courthouse
    The Service continued to explore the feasibility of providing customised family law facilities on a site
    adjacent to the Four Courts. A preliminary appraisal for the development of a new Family Law Courthouse was referred to the Minister for Justice and Equality.

PDF of report.
    http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/(WebFiles)/BA7D7195FC5AAD7280257D1F0030ECD4/$FILE/Courts%20Service%20Annual%20Report%202013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

It's mentioned in the Irish Times today...

Nor are all the sites privately owned. Some of the largest are owned by the State, including the site of the former Maguire and Paterson match factory on Church Street, bought by the Office of Public Works in 1999, and unused since. The city council itself is a substantial vacant landowner.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/landowners-sitting-on-63-unused-acres-in-city-centre-1.1950097

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

So does the OPW pay the fines that DCC were threatening developers sitting on land?

It would make a lovely park if done right and had a garda prescence to ensure that it was family friendly. There has also been a campaign to try and get the CIE owned land Strand Street turned into a park until they decide to what they want to do with it.

reprazant wrote: »
    So does the OPW pay the fines that DCC were threatening developers sitting on land?

It would make a lovely park if done right and had a garda prescence to ensure that it was family friendly. There has also been a campaign to try and get the CIE owned land Strand Street turned into a park until they decide to what they want to do with it.

I mentioned earlier that the flats on Benburb St were the first flats built in Dublin.

They are mostly unoccupied,and need restoration.

In a time of homelessness,apparently they will be restored for Art/cultural accomodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Which flats are they? Is that Ellis Court? I was under the impression that that was a hostel of some sort.

Which flats are they? Is that Ellis Court? I was under the impression that that was a hostel of some sort.

They were built as flats initially,now a hostel for old people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

It would make a lovely park

Being adjacent to 2 Luas stops I think it would be better used as office space or some such, as it would further encourage use of public transport. There are already a couple of parks in the area (Croppies Acre, Chancery Park), not to mention Smithfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

gladrags wrote: »
    I mentioned earlier that the flats on Benburb St were the first flats built in Dublin.

They are mostly unoccupied,and need restoration.

In a time of homelessness,apparently they will be restored for Art/cultural accomodation.

First social flats built in Dublin, around 1900. The apartments on Echlin st are the oldest purpose built apartments in Dublin (built 1878)

so I believe, was at a tour in Smithfield during history week, cannot understand why they cannot be redeveloped for housing.

Same type were built by Iveagh Trust just after in the liberties around Nicholas St, I am sure you know them.

My grandparents were one of the first occupiers.

They were very spacious inside, with a high roof.

Iveagh Trust I believe redeveloped and put in a second floor.

The other good thing is that they were not sold to the developers during the Celtic pussy.

Advertisement