Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great Irish dog walk 2014

• 28-09-2014 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Was anybody there? I went with Nymeria and it was a brilliant day.

It was very well organized and a great chance for socialization. There were dogs of all sorts there, huge and tiny!!!!

I didn't have my camera and would love to see some pics if anybody has any good ones.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I didn't bother

1) because they changed it to one dog per adult
    2) they were claiming on FB that they'd be enforcing muzzle rules for RB dogs - an organisation of that size should be doing something to help educate people instead of promoting breed stereotypes which imo have a big part to play in the numbers of RB dogs dumped in pounds and rescues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

tk123 wrote: »
    I didn't bother

1) because they changed it to one dog per adult
    2) they were claiming on FB that they'd be enforcing muzzle rules for RB dogs - an organisation of that size should be doing something to help educate people instead of promoting breed stereotypes which imo have a big part to play in the numbers of RB dogs dumped in pounds and rescues.

Both of those things went out the window on the day lol... they were not enforced because it wasn't discussed enough. Though one person couldn't have two dogs with them. But two people to one dog was okay.

The reason why that #2 was brought up because the law is the law, but like above, it wasn't enforced.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Both of those things went out the window on the day lol... they were not enforced because it wasn't discussed enough. Though one person couldn't have two dogs with them. But two people to one dog was okay.

The reason why that #2 was brought up because the law is the law, but like above, it wasn't enforced.

I questioned them on the one dog thing last year and they edited the rules online. :pac: Wasn't going to risk showing up on my own or say with my friend and her dog to be turned away though so didn't bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

It said on the website that it was for dog owners or just people that love dogs.
    The rule was that you could only have one dog per person i.e one person could not have 2 dogs.

AryaStark wrote: »
    i.e one person could not have 2 dogs.

That's why I didn't bother going - I wasn't going to leave one dog behind or risk being turned away.... So instead of getting a donation/entry fee from me and my friend who would have come with me with her own dog they got nothing. Looks like beggars can be choosers in this case.

• Advertisement

That's why I didn't bother going - I wasn't going to leave one dog behind or risk being turned away.... So instead of getting a donation/entry fee from me and my friend who would have come with me with her own dog they got nothing. Looks like beggars can be choosers in this case.

I suppose that they went with safety first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I suppose that they went with safety first.

Do you think its unsafe for one person to walk two dogs on lead? :confused:

muddypaws wrote: »
    Do you think its unsafe for one person to walk two dogs on lead? :confused:

No I don't and I used to walk dogs together a lot. I dont now only because my pup is a handful.
    There were hundreds of dogs at the event and I just think it was a good idea to have each dog supervised by one person. Ideally it would not be necessary but even with the rule there were people holding two or three little dogs that were barking and snapping at bigger dogs. There were also people with dogs on long leads not paying any attention to their dogs at all so that was just as bad.

No I don't and I used to walk dogs together a lot. I dont now only because my pup is a handful.
    There were hundreds of dogs at the event and I just think it was a good idea to have each dog supervised by one person. Ideally it would not be necessary but even with the rule there were people holding two or three little dogs that were barking and snapping at bigger dogs. There were also people with dogs on long leads not paying any attention to their dogs at all so that was just as bad.

But you've stated yourself in your own reply - one dog to one adult doesn't mean the dog will be in any way supervised or controlled. My dogs weren't the ones getting filthy looks at the coffee bus last year because they weren't disrupting everyone barking and yapping at EVERY dog who passed - that was the group of small dogs and their owners who couldn't have cared less. Our 2.5 "big dogs" were sitting quietly beside us with my 4 month old pup better behaved than half of the dogs there.

The reason why one person couldn't have 2+ dogs with them was to do with the record guidelines, it was one of a number of rules that needed to be followed. Not to do with safety. Though it does help that you don't have people juggling more than one dog by themselves when they are trying to take part in the event.

• Advertisement

I could have brought my pup (1 year old husky) and my mam's two dogs and they would have been fine. My mam's dogs can go off lead and Nymeria is excitable but very socialized and only looks at me when little dogs go for her or bigger dogs growl.
    I wish that everybody was like you and could manage their dogs and understood them. Unfortunately its not like that here. I found the people ignoring their dogs the worst because they were chatting to friends and not even looking or letting their dogs say hello or smell other dogs. People would pull away from the bigger dogs too even when their dogs were relaxed and looked like they wanted to say hello.
    If those people could be made stay away then people who connect with their dogs and are going for the dogs to enjoy could go with all their dogs and have a great time.

VonVix wrote: »
    The reason why one person couldn't have 2+ dogs with them was to do with the record guidelines,

The record was a separate thing though at one of the afternoon walks? ...with a min. €25 donation I might ad

The record was a separate thing though at one of the afternoon walks? ...with a min. €25 donation I might ad

I forgot all about the walk. :pac: Perhaps that added that rule to the walk as it would allow for more people to join in for the record as they got herded in when it was about to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i went. lovely time. enjoyed meeting some dogs, and the wolfhounds were lovely to see too. it was great, cause it was just thins time last year that my puppy was able to start socializing after his injections , so brought back lovely memories.

Advertisement