Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite place in the world (outside of Ireland)

• 28-09-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Basically, what place have you been to outside of Ireland that you love the most. It can be a city, a country, a region, a restaurant, a landmark, anything.

A place that stands out in my mind is the Alentejo, in Portugal. Basically the area between the Algarve and the city of Lisbon. Its far removed and quite remote, and very hot during the summer, but I loved the landscape of cork trees forests and vast, open plains. Most of it is basically rural, but what towns there are tend to be small, with picturesque white buildings and clay tiled roofs, small cafés and old churches. Very traditionally Portuguese, and far removed from the crowded streets of Lisbon and the Benidorm style resorts in the Algarve. I would love to go back some day and see more of it.

In terms of cities, my favourite was Barcelona. Apart from the humidity, it has a great atmosphere, good places to eat out and an abundance of places to visit (although the queue trying get into the Sagrada Familia is always massive).

Your turn.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Fiji is my top destination. Pity it is so far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Greek islands for their beauty and the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Thinly veiled 'I can afford to go on foreign holidays' thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Blue mountains in Australia a close second would be Brittany just for the people alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Krakow. Great food and drink, and really laid back feel to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Brasov, Romania

The tacky Hollywood of eastern europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

Rome... beautiful architecture, lovely weather and nice food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Miseryguts wrote: »
    Rome... beautiful architecture, lovely weather and nice food.

+1 on this, super expensive tough :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Goa, India.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

thelad95 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled 'I can afford to go on foreign holidays' thread?

Thinly veiled "thanks baiting" attempt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Prague.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Prague.

why?

lufties wrote: »
    Goa, India.

Have you been there in the last 5 years? It really is a dump now compared to what it was in previous decades.

why?

Why not? It's a great place. I'm never bored in Prague.

Have you been there in the last 5 years? It really is a dump now compared to what it was in previous decades.

I went in 2005/06 :(

I went in 2005/06 :(

Hang on to the memories. Dont go back!!

Why not? It's a great place. I'm never bored in Prague.

well i have never been but i've heard very mixed opinions

Hang on to the memories. Dont go back!!

Lots of russians, chain hotels, and less parties..so I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

my brothers house in London. free food, free bed, and free drink!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Carambola Beach Resort on South Friars Beach in St Kitts - heaven on Earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Edinburgh

well i have never been but i've heard very mixed opinions

Ahh sorry, I thought you were one of the Prague haters. :) Well yeah I've heard mixed opinions too, but you'll get that with almost every city. I really enjoyed Prague, I've been there twice. Great architecture, great women, cheap beer, lots to enjoy. :)

I was in Lisbon recently and thought it was a kip despite having heard so many good things about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

New York.

CPL 593H

Ahh sorry, I thought you were one of the Prague haters. :) Well yeah I've heard mixed opinions too, but you'll get that with almost every city. I really enjoyed Prague, I've been there twice. Great architecture, great women, cheap beer, lots to enjoy. :)

I was in Lisbon recently and thought it was a kip despite having heard so many good things about it.

no worries, I'm newly single so I could do with a trip somewhere like that...Although, I went to budapest some months back and hated it.

Yeah I remember the "Cities you'd never return to" thread. I must add Lisbon to that list. The whole place bored the hole off me. Prague is awesome and its very cheap too, but that's just my opinion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I couldn't have just one, either. For a city I would choose Toronto, despite its reputation as "boring". I think it's a nice mix of Canadian and other influences e.g. UK, France and USA.

For a rural area, it would have to be the area I spent part of my childhood years: the north-west of (KwaZulu) Natal in South Africa, now called Amajuba. The climate is moderate, in between the extremes you can find there, and the landscape is beautiful. It would have been even more fun had I been old enough to drive.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

bnt wrote: »
    For a rural area, it would have to be the area I spent part of my childhood years: the north-west of (KwaZulu) Natal in South Africa, now called Amajuba. The climate is moderate, in between the extremes you can find there, and the landscape is beautiful. It would have been even more fun had I been old enough to drive.
    Beautiful area alright. Reminded me of parts of west Cork or south Kerry except everything on a bigger scale.

Id go for Canaimo national park in Venezuela, loads of table top mountains, rivers the colour of smithwicks and waterfalls including angel falls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Krak de Chevaliers in Syria. Very sad to see it's been targeted in the fighting over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Valencia.

Fantastic old town, great bars and restaurants, near the beaches, not over run with tourists/pickpockets etc. A great city, much nicer than Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Las Vegas because of every positive reason there is.

Paris. I am just so very in love with Paris.

I might book a weekend there soon now that I think of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just spent a week in San Francisco and driving down the coast and I really want to move there. My perfect climate, great food and bars, people are so nice and it just feels like I fit there.

Don't think I would want to live in SF city itself but somewhere within an hour of it would be perfect.

Currently sitting on my cousin's deck being baked alive in New Jersey and while it is lovely to be here I couldn't live here. The winters would kill me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Annecy in France,heaven on earth.It's has everything.bars,clubs,mountains , lakes ,canals ,savage women and great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Witchie wrote: »
    Just spent a week in San Francisco and driving down the coast and I really want to move there. My perfect climate, great food and bars, people are so nice and it just feels like I fit there.

Don't think I would want to live in SF city itself but somewhere within an hour of it would be perfect.

Currently sitting on my cousin's deck being baked alive in New Jersey and while it is lovely to be here I couldn't live here. The winters would kill me.

I'd quite happily live in Sausalito for part of the year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

smurgen wrote: »
    Annecy in France,heaven on earth.It's has everything.bars,clubs,mountains , lakes ,canals ,savage women and great food.

It is a gorgeous little town actually. That cycle around the lake was gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Petra in Jordan, amazing place. Been twice now.

Cyprus. When, WHEN I win the lotto I'll buy an aul gaff there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Prussia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Tikrit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Barcelona is amazing! Great food, great culture and there's great craic to be had around La Ramblas.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Amsterdam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My friend's gaff in San Leandro, California. Her house is on a hill and from her back garden there's a wonderful view of the Bay and sunset opportunities.

Bwindi Inpenetrable National Forest, Uganda. One of the few places you can trek for Mountain Gorilla. Life changing experience.

Lake Victoria shore, Kisumu, Kenya. There's a tree on the shore in a campsite I stayed in that is easily climbed and perfect for watching sunset/sunrise.

IO Theatre Chicago. Improv heaven.

Yosemite, California. Amazing place.

London. Just about anywhere in London. Love it.

Shanghai. It's like a city on a different planet. Never stops. So much to see and do.

Cartagena, Spain. A wonderful port town on the coast of Spain. The cultural area is all pedestrianised and the Roman amphitheater is awesome. My favourite part of Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

Copenhagen
    Valletta
    St Johns in Newfoundland

Copenhagen
    Valletta
    St Johns in Newfoundland

I'm thinking of going to Copenhagen next. What are some good things to see and do there? Is it expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Your favourite place in the world (outside of Ireland)

Between Katy Perry's legs.

Failing that, Scotland or Germany I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Esperance sw Australia...google images doesn't eve come close to doing it justice

c_man wrote: »
    Between Katy Perry's legs.

No I wouldn't like to go there. There's probably bits of Russell Brand's beard still there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement