Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are Train Prices so High?

• 28-09-2014 4:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Why are Train Prices so high in Ireland?

Dundalk to Dublin day return is 29.80 :eek:

The UK (Which is meant to have very dear train costs)

A Day Return from Manchester to Liverpool (same distance as Dundalk to Dublin) is £9.20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

A Day Return from Manchester to Liverpool (same distance as Dundalk to Dublin) is £9.20

Because they are subsidising loss making routes all over the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's a combination of the cost of running g the trains in relation to the number of passengers and low government subsidies compared to other countries like Germany for instance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

That sounds extremely cheap, that's hardly the normal fare is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

VinLieger wrote: »
    Add to this poor pplanning, over paid legacy staff, the recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

€100k+ salaries don't pay themselves you know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

The price of train tickets is only high if you're travelling from Dublin to Dundalk. They do this to deter tourists away from the slums of Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Trains are expensive vehicles to build I imagine.

Them bullet trains in Japan for example. Some engineering going on with one of them bad boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Train fares in the UK are usually only that price if you book way in advance. As an example, London to Norwich on the day is about £50 one way for a 2 hr journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Return Liverpool to Manchester tomorrow is £19.20 (€24.50) with trainline who maintain that includes 43% discount. Anytime I took the train in the UK it was close to prices here and sometimes more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Return Liverpool to Manchester tomorrow is £19.20 (€24.50) with trainline who maintain that includes 43% discount. Anytime I took the train in the UK it was close to prices here and sometimes more expensive.

Yup, leeds -> manchester Piccadilly was around £13 one way last time took it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

When you are in Liverpool Lime Street on the day, its £9.20 Return to Manchester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Not only are trains expensive, but the entire process is....stressful.

Those big "see you in court" posters when you walk into the station...is that any way to greet customers?

Then, they are frequently late and there is only point point of entry and / exit which is horrible at busier stations. Not to mention all the confusion about how to buy tickets if the machine is broke and no-one is on the desk.

The staff look like they want to spit at you if you even think about approaching them, and if you reserve a seat, someone is probably sitting there.

Overcrowding, poor design, a lack of integration and joined up thinking all characterise rail travel in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Our population is too small to justify intercity trains

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Did you ever buy a train?
    They're expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Very cheap compared to most other European countries.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

That sounds extremely cheap, that's hardly the normal fare is it ?

I went from Warrington to Liverpool Lime St. I think it was only about a fiver.
    Amsterdam to Dusseldorf return is usually about 50 Euros return.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

The same reason why everything is so expensive in Ireland.

People paid too much money for doing too little work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

pauliebdub wrote: »
    It's a combination of the cost of running g the trains in relation to the number of passengers and low government subsidies compared to other countries like Germany for instance

Trains cost a pretty penny in Germany too unless you've got a monthly ticket (which can still be pricey, but it saves money if you use it a lot). Essen and Dusseldorf are less than forty km apart and it's 20 euro return. Deutsche Bahn aren't even a public company anymore, though you still have to suffer the rudeness of public service.

Trains in general are just expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Maybe because ireland has the population of a medium sized European city and we don't have the scale to run a cheap railway. I don't understand why Irish people have an obsession with trains. Most people in Europe use buses are they amazing value and more frequent. Plus there is no stopping in every little village which adds to journey time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Pffft. It isn't cheap leaving the Locos running all day and all night in sidings because the starter motors are broken - that diesel is pricey..someone has to pay for it. Be like the average Joe discovering their engine won't restart if turned off and going -"Right Mavis, we'll leave it running permanently so..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

hfallada wrote: »
    Maybe because ireland has the population of a medium sized European city and we don't have the scale to run a cheap railway. I don't understand why Irish people have an obsession with trains. Most people in Europe use buses are they amazing value and more frequent. Plus there is no stopping in every little village which adds to journey time

Well, the buses here are worse. At least, trains seem to stick to a schedule here.

If the buses were good, that'd be great, but they aren't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Travel free with me. I have a companion pass which allows one person to travel with me free. Get on the train now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i would imagine alot has to do with the huge payroll irish rail have.

still cheaper here than switzerland though. normal fare from brig to zermatt (about an hour on the train) costs 37 swiss francs one-way roughly €30.60

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

hfallada wrote: »

Train = tea, leg room, personal space, toilets
    Bus = warm orange, leg cramps, fat man beside you, holding your bladder, and the drunk at the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

What confuses me is when i get the train from where i am living now to home.

€8.60 for a single or €8.60 for a return :/. Considering its about a 1 hour and 10 mins on the train and 60 or so KM its not that bad

To make it worse they run no trains on a Sunday from home !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Travel free with me. I have a companion pass which allows one person to travel with me free. Get on the train now!

Sounds like a good deal, as long as there are no bottom-wiping duties involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Silly old OP. Go get yourself a free travel pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Reading to Gatwick cost me £58 one way recently, about a 80 min journey... defo not cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did Heuston to Wesport for 41 euro day return yesterday

Seat reservation online and collecting my ticket was painless, my name over my seat, staff were sound, wifi & could charge my phone and it was waaaaaaay faster then Bus Eireann

Twas A1 Sharon, can't fault Irish Rail at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Sounds like a good deal, as long as there are no bottom-wiping duties involved.

No but you have to sit with me or near me for when the ticket man comes. So yeah you're probably better off paying for your own ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Got the Dart from Pearse to Seapoint the other week and I was shocked that it was €5.75 return. They person selling the tickets, who was very rude, didn't have any 5 cent pieces, so he decided to leave me short and when I queried it, he told me that there was nothing he could do. The Dart was late as well of course. Needless to say, I'll stick to the car in future. Quicker, cheaper and you don't have to deal with Irish rail staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

When you are in Liverpool Lime Street on the day, its £9.20 Return to Manchester

And Dublin Dundalk is down to €20 if you buy at the right time on the right day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

UK train prices are considerably more expensive, particularly in the South East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You're also subsidising the absolutely staggering amount of people with a free travel pass. Same as you subsidise the staggering amount of people with a medical card when you visit the gp.

thomasm wrote: »
    Reading to Gatwick cost me £58 one way recently, about a 80 min journey... defo not cheap

How? Where did you buy that? What route did you take? What that off peak? I go through Paddington and it costs me in or about £15 and it takes just over an hour. Alternatively, there is a bus which goes from outside Reading bus station, direct to Heathrow which costs about that same return. Journey time is 50 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i would imagine alot has to do with the huge payroll irish rail have.

still cheaper here than switzerland though. normal fare from brig to zermatt (about an hour on the train) costs 37 swiss francs one-way roughly €30.60

Half that if you pay for the yearly half price card which is a no-brainer.

Plus train travel in Switzerland is superb. The train-stations are in the centre of the towns and cities and there are numerous entry / exit points and no barriers.

No ticket? Pay the more expensive option on the train - no messing around with fines and court cases.

Plus they punctuality and reliability is second to none. Trains also connect with the airports - unbelievable.

You're also subsidising the absolutely staggering amount of people with a free travel pass. Same as you subsidise the staggering amount of people with a medical card when you visit the gp.

Hardly scientific I know but I checked this last year when I had to get the bus for a few weeks. On all journeys, there were more people with passes than paying customers. Crazy and unsustainable. Perfectly healthy OAPs can bring a minder with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Berserker wrote: »
    How? Where did you buy that? What route did you take? What that off peak? I go through Paddington and it costs me in or about £15 and it takes just over an hour. Alternatively, there is a bus which goes from outside Reading bus station, direct to Heathrow which costs about that same return.

Reading to Paddington is the most expensive train journey of its distance in Europe.

Over 4,000 Gbp for a yearly ticket.

Reading to Paddington is the most expensive train journey of its distance in Europe.

Over 4,000 Gbp for a yearly ticket.

Wow, that is incredible.
    keith16 wrote: »
    Trains also connect with the airports - unbelievable.

A pet hate of mine here and no solution in sight. It is so badly needed in Dublin. Switzerland is public transport heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Walking is pretty cheap. Or are you willing to pay for the privilege of not having to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Staff get paid a ridiculous amount and do ridiculously little .

I used to be one of those staff.

It's also next to impossible to be fired for doing a crap job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

titan18 wrote: »
    Well, the buses here are worse. At least, trains seem to stick to a schedule here.

If the buses were good, that'd be great, but they aren't

Not only do they not stick to the schedule well,

In some areas. (buttevant for example.) The bus getting here at certain times will be full, and you're told, "sorry, wait for the next one."
    This next one, may or may not be full. ...............
    The rare time, the stations will send out 2 buses, but that's only, if they had more than a bus full of passengers waiting in the station. So 52+ passengers, they'll send a second bus.
    If there's 50...they won't even consider the stops the bus will have to make, sure it'll be grand, tis just pensioners nobody relying on it.
    >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

No but you have to sit with me or near me for when the ticket man comes. So yeah you're probably better off paying for your own ticket.

Steady on, Kiddo - we're negotiating here.

Now, am I right in thinking that you will have some sort of a say in the time, date and destination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

They do seem awful expensive. But then again, they also take longer than comparable buses (on the routes I'm interested in, mainly Galway - Limerick and Galway - Dublin) so I don't see any reason to take one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

COS YA GET A TABLE!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

COS YA GET A TABLE!!!!!!

I've been on express bus services to Dublin that have tables! I fuking hate them :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When you take in the costs of fuel and the cost of the trains themselves, then trains are insanely expensive compared to flying, especially when you remove taxes and airport charges.

So to answer the original question, in Europe rich people travel by trains, when the plebs queue up at airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom
    Manchester metropolitan area 2,556,000
    Liverpool/Birkenhead metropolitan area 2,241,000

Meanwhile, Dublin is about a million and Dundalk is about 40,000. So Dundalk has similar overhead, but much lower usage.

There are different options.

Ticket Type E Per person, per trip*
    Adult Single €23.40 €23.40
    Adult Off-Peak Single (Note 1) €16.80 €16.80
    Adult Day Return €29.80 €14.90
    Adult Off-Peak Day Return (Note 1) €18.10 €9.05
    Adult Open Return €33.10 €16.55
    Adult Weekly €88.00 €8.80
    Adult Monthly €315.00 €7.50
    Student Single €14.40 €14.40
    Student Return €18.00 €9.00
    Student Weekly (Note 2) €74.00 €7.40
    Student Monthly (Note 2) €237.00 €5.64
    Family Day Return €41.50 €3.46
    Family Open Return €65.00 €5.42

* Assuming 10 trips per week or 21 per month. Monthly and annual tickets can avail of Taxsaver, which can reduce prices by 52%.

keith16 wrote: »
    Not to mention all the confusion about how to buy tickets if the machine is broke and no-one is on the desk.
    You must buy your ticket at the first available oppurtunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

VinLieger wrote: »
    aka, most of the network. the UK is the same, however they realize that its better to keep their network, subsidize it and invest in it. unlike here where its used as a political tool

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Add to this poor pplanning, over paid legacy staff, the recession

Plus the riducles OAP and disability plus companion concessionary passes. They should be contributing something at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement