Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Dog

• 28-09-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Very early stages of planning to get a family dog. We are planning on getting the dog in 18-24 months we want to make sure we are getting the right dog for us to have a home for life.

I have done a fair bit of research on the subject

We are looking for a small to medium sized dog we have two older kids and twins due in the next 3-4 weeks so all going well they will be 1-2 years old when we are looking at getting a dog.

I have read a lot about temperament in a dog and characteristics. I will gladly put in whatever training is required.

Is there any breed that would be trained easier or would have bred in patience for young children. I know there is no such thing as a dangerous breed as I have seen what some people would class as "dangerous" dogs and once trained right they are the friendliest in the world.

It sends me cracked that people advertise dogs on ad websites as superdedooperdolle when in fact they are mongrels so I would rather adopt a rescue dog if one was to suit our needs.

Anyone any suggestion on what I should be looking for ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Op,

Firstly Ill say please steer clear of the like of dondeal and adverts etc these sites are full of backyard breeders and puppy farmers!

Congrats on your pending new arrivals!

Second op I'm going to come straight out say I wouldn't get a dog in a million years with two babies around 2... Watching one small child with a dog / puppy would be hard enough but two IMO would be double trouble. It's very difficult to show a 2 year old how to interact with a dog properly but showing two at the same time and then watching all the time would be impossible - so I'm going to have to say I would wait until your twins are 5 or so so you can explain things better etc.

I don't think there dogs that will tolerate babies more than others it's all about monitoring interaction on both sides.. With two babies the same age this could be virtually impossible!

That's just my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

cocker5 wrote: »
    Op,

Firstly Ill say please steer clear of the like of dondeal and adverts etc these sites are full of backyard breeders and puppy farmers!

Second op I'm going to come straight out say I wouldn't get a dog in a million years with two babies around 2... Watching one small child with a dog / puppy would be hard enough but two IMO would be double trouble. It's very difficult to show a 2 year old how to interact with a dog properly but showing two at the same time and then watching all the time would be impossible - so I'm going to have to say I would wait until your twins are 5 or so so you can explain things better etc.

I don't think there dogs that will tolerate babies more than others it's all about monitoring interaction on both sides.. With two babies the same age this could be virtually impossible!

That's just my opinion!

Thanks for the reply

I hadn't thought of that a settled dog would have more time to adjust rather than the 2 of them trying to adjust to each other, Could be troublesome

I hadn't a notion of going near the advertisement websites I'd gladly invest money from a reputable breeder rather than a backyard chancer.

Id also gladly forgo the financial investment and invest time to train the dog if it was a rescue dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

cocker5 wrote: »
    Op,

That's just my opinion!

I have to agree with everything above. I have a baby and have had my dogs years and years, I couldn't imagine getting a puppy! Also puppy's teeth are like razors :eek: I think an older dog who has been in a foster home would be a much better option when your twins are older.

Advertisement