Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

feargale wrote: »
    @ keane & homerjay, fair comment and very valid points especially by homerjay. I would just say that Kilcormac exceeded expectations yesterday and that can do Offaly no harm. Homerjay rightly says that Offaly hurling is at its lowest ebb in 30 years, but believe it or not it has been lower. Between 1929 and 1969 Offaly failed to reach a Leinster final, and to my knowledge won nothing then, not even a Leinster junior, bar a Division Two final against Kerry in 1966. If you check the records from 1930 to 1960 I think you will find about two Offaly hurlers featuring in a Railway Cup final. A combination of events in the sixties created a springboard: the coming of a committed hurling man to the Birr school, the rise of St. Rynaghs and Paddy Molloy who was then one of the country's best hurlers.
    I would say that for a county with a handful of clubs, one of them doing well is more significant for the county than it would be for Kilkenny, Cork or Tipp.
    A county as small as Offaly was never going to maintain the stunning successes of 1980-1997. That county may produce a good crop once every 30 years or so, and then needs additional factors favouring it, including luck. Next time Offaly will have some tradition to sustain it, unlike the last time.
    Of course, as you suggest, the competitive nature of hurling has changed. I'm not sure where that is going to lead us.

You seem to be no stranger to condescension. I wonder why.

I would argue that Kilcormac didn't play up to expectation; they reached the AI final more recently than B/S and the likes of Currams didn't reach his best standard. Ballyhale were well there for the taking, (conditions didn't drag them down to KK's level), and would have been had the opposition had a better freetaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

MfMan wrote: »
    I would argue that Kilcormac didn't play up to expectation; they reached the AI final more recently than B/S and the likes of Currams didn't reach his best standard. Ballyhale were well there for the taking, (conditions didn't drag them down to KK's level), and would have been had the opposition had a better freetaker.

Wouldn't agree to be honest. Talent wise there is no doubt who the better side was. The fact they were only a good free taker from winning is definitely exceeding general expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Very predictable one sided Leinster final. St Vincent's rarely had to get out of 2nd gear. Corofin v St Vincent's in the All Ireland semi final next in what should be a close contested match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The Tipperary SFC final is only on next weekend, that is an utter disgrace. The GAA should fine county boards for every week a championship goes beyond the end of October. They are treating players with utter contempt with that sort of fixture organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

How was the Galway Hurling Championship held up?

I see the final was won today by Gort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The Tipperary SFC final is only on next weekend, that is an utter disgrace. The GAA should fine county boards for every week a championship goes beyond the end of October. They are treating players with utter contempt with that sort of fixture organising.

And the Galway hurling final played today, even though the county senior team exited the championship in late July.
    As long as the players are willing to put up with this s###e the county boards will change nothing.
    Here in Limerick, the semi finals of the U-21 premier football are on next weekend with the final sometime between Christmas and the new year.
    All games have been played under lights so far.
    Consider that we had the finest summer in 25 years and we now expect these young men to play in December.......:confused:

They're late every year but this year was worse because 1 team played an illegal player in the 1/4 finals, were thrown out, and appealed, and eventually ran out of appeals.
    Little wonder they cannot unite to win an AI senior hurling title.!!

BTW. was the North Kerry Football final played yet, and who is involved.?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

washman3 wrote: »
    They're late every year but this year was worse because 1 team played an illegal player in the 1/4 finals, were thrown out, and appealed, and eventually ran out of appeals.
    Little wonder they cannot unite to win an AI senior hurling title.!!

BTW. was the North Kerry Football final played yet, and who is involved.?

The North Kerry "Jingle Bells" Championship is still going,there was a draw in the quarter finals between Brosna and St Senans the winners play Listowel Emmets in the Semi Final while the other Semi Final is between Beale and Ballyduff,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Illegal player played, then appeals, etc. Held up the entire championship for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

it seems Dublin clubs are winning the club leinster as easy as they are winning the inter county leinster finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

it seems Dublin clubs are winning the club leinster as easy as they are winning the inter county leinster finals.

Looks like Vins are gonna have to be split in 2 .. only those born between Collins & Griffith Ave need apply :rolleyes: ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=229360

Brilliant stuff the Tipperary football final ends in a draw so we could potentially be back to the War of Independence days when finals were played a couple of years behind schedule.

In all honesty I'd say the Dublin senior championship is actually tougher to win than the Leinster championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Brilliant stuff the Tipperary football final ends in a draw so we could potentially be back to the War of Independence days when finals were played a couple of years behind schedule.

Or, theyll play it 3 weeks time.

Or, theyll play it 3 weeks time.

I was exaggerating a bit but it's still mad that a county final for 2014 will not be played in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The famous 1992 clash between Aherlow and Nenagh (I think) was this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The famous 1992 clash between Aherlow and Nenagh (I think) was this time of year.

That was only an u21 game but was in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TiggerInParis

Replay is next Sunday so it'll be a dry christmas for the lads. I'd imagine there'll be extra-time if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I had to laugh when I heard it ended in a draw. Farcical stuff. The goings on with the hurling in Galway and football in Wexford and Tipperary amongst others has been absolutely shambolic. Donegal stopped up everything but at least everyone knew that was the case and they got on with it then when the year was over. It means the Donegal champions had effectively no chance in Ulster but at least the players knew where they stood.

People wonder why players go off playing soccer or rugby, the answer is simple, with those games 99% of the time you know when and who you will be playing and you can arrange a normal life around that. Until the GAA get a grip on this and take matters outside the control of interest groups and county managers more of this is what we'll be seeing.

• Advertisement

Limerick U-21 premier football semi-final was played today, and ended in a draw.!!!
    Replay is on St.Stephens day with the final fixed for New Years Eve...
    Read elsewhere that all the clubs agreed to starting this championship in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

So, who's going to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Fireball07 wrote: »
    So, who's going to win?

Have a sneaky feeling that Kilmallock will just do enough in the hurling myself, no idea about the football.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

As a neutral in the hurling would love to see Kilmallock winning it. Ballyhale are a great club with some excellent players but would be great for the competition to see a new team from a new county winning it, and it would inject some confidence into Limerick for the summer.

As a Galway man, hope Corofin win the football, they were impressive in the semi-final and deserving winners over St. Vincent's. Fancy them to win tomorrow but Slaughtneil were quite impressive against Austin Stacks and any team who wins an Ulster club championship are not to be taken lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Any chance we'll get a link for this later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Orizio wrote: »
    Any chance we'll get a link for this tonight?

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Huh?

Sorry, thinking in the wrong timezone. I mean a link for the hurling later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Orizio wrote: »
    Sorry, thinking in the wrong timezone. I mean a link for the hurling later.
    Here's a link for those abroad..

https://gaago.rte.ie/fixture/H-CLUBF/

Inc pre and post match analysis..
    Enjoy.

Serious work by Graeme there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Perfectly good goal

How the hell was that last foul not a yellow card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Harsh yellow for Colin considering his hurl was at the other side of Paudie O Brien's head?!?!

Graeme Mulcahy is ridiculously talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

These wides are killing Kilmallock

Kilmallock are hitting some amount of wides. I know that literally every one of those went over against Cratloe and the likes of Paudie O'Brien is normally one of the best long-range score-takers in the country. Maybe it's big game nerves getting to them but they have to switch it up when it's not working.

Get the ball to Graeme Mul... they're crucifying themselves.

Fennelly goal was well-taken but too easy, looked like Kilmallock one should have stood too though. Not out of the game but they'll need to cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Hit some awful wides, very poor use of the ball too. Think the ref has been a little harsh on them too, to be honest.

Poor hurling final hopefully a improvement in the 2nd half. In football I fancy Corofin but the Derry men at 6/1 to win by 1 to 3 points is very tempting odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

poor game

Absolutely awful game as a spectacle.

TJ Reid wins some amount of frees from high tackles.

Gort with 0-7 in 1984 the lowest score in All ireland hurling final. Two more scores for limerick lads to beat that unwanted record.

• Advertisement

they have played into Ballyhale's hands all day

lumping high balls into the forwards

Kilmallock are playing as individuals. Like a bunch of lads who met before the game

Portaferry must be a fairly bad team to lose to this lot.

Must have missed 12 of their last 14 shots now.
    They dried up around 4 points and have about 14 wides now.... Awful stuff.
    May as well not even bother going for another point as they need about 5 goals now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Uncompetitive hurling is pretty much as bad as uncompetitive any other sport really isn't it

Poor game as a spectacle. Kilmallock have hit some awful wides. However Ballyhale won't care about that. They haven't had to get out of 2nd gear to win this. They are simply on a much higher lever than Kilmallock today.

15 wides...

needed that 20 mins ago

At least that makes the scoreline a bit more respectable..

FT: Ballyhale 1-18 Kilmallock 1-6

MOTM is Joey Holden.

6th All-Ireland title for Ballyhale.

• Advertisement

Very disappointing for Kilmallock, they're not as bad as that. But while they were hitting wide after wide in the first half, Ballyhale were tacking on scores without evening playing that well.

And then in the 2nd half, Ballyhale cleaned them out in the backs completely, TJ Reid grew more and more and Kilmallock just didn't bring any intensity really.

Awful shame but they didn't deserve anything with that performance.

Advertisement