Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Windows and rubber seals for a boat

• 28-09-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Im looking for some advice if any wise person has some to give

I have a boat that the windows are all fogged up on . its from the UV light I guess.
    So im going to replace them.

Where can I buy rubbers for the windows like the ones in this picture

http://www.boatsales247.co.uk/detail.php?id=549

Should I buy 3 or 4mm perspex and just cut it for the new windows?
    Any special type of perspex and where can I get it. I believe there is some type that is resistant to UV damage, so i dont have to go doing it again in a year or two.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi and welcome, These would be the best place to get the seals http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/ and depending on what one you get it will tell you what thickness perspex to get.
    For perspex I use these http://www.accessplastics.com/about-us/ perspex or plexiglass will be fine but if you want something more scratch resistance you could go for Lexan but it's not cheep.
    I'd say this is the profile your looking for with a 3mm gap each side but you may need to check yours to be sure.

DSCN4841a.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭NGC999888

Thanks for the excellent advice.
    That looks like the one.
    And that place for the windows isnt far from where I live either so i might drop down to them.

So if i had the 3mm gap seal then is it correct that i would use 2mm perspex in it? Or would I use 3mm perspex in a 3mm gap seal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

fergal.b wrote: »
    perspex or plexiglass will be fine but if you want something more scratch resistance you could go for Lexan but it's not cheep.
    Personally, I'd stay away from perspex - it's brittle and cracks on impact so is not the best for use on boats. Any clear or tinted polycarbonate is much more suitable (Lexan make expensive polycarb for aircraft windows), and it's much tougher & won't crack easily.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Steve wrote: »
    Personally, I'd stay away from perspex - it's brittle and cracks on impact so is not the best for use on boats. Any clear or tinted polycarbonate is much more suitable (Lexan make expensive polycarb for aircraft windows), and it's much tougher & won't crack easily.

I'd agree if it was for a windscreen or a curved window but for small flat ones like his it's a cheep and cheerful way to get windows you can see out of :)

3mm gap = 3mm glass it should be a good tight fit.

This should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭NGC999888

Excellent video. i wonder can i reuse the rubbers that are already on it. They seem fairly new, its just the windows that are tatty/
    The is silicone in the rubbers too which might make them unusable.

• Advertisement

Give it a go it will save you a few quid :) When you take them out bend them in a few places and looks for any cracks to be sure there not perished then before you refit them soak them in a bucket of hot water to soften them up.

NGC999888 wrote: »
    Excellent video. i wonder can i reuse the rubbers that are already on it. They seem fairly new, its just the windows that are tatty/
    The is silicone in the rubbers too which might make them unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

accesplastic will advise you what you need, just tell them what project you are working on, very helpful people excellent service, and they cut you the sheet to size you wish, as long as it is tetragon

Advertisement