Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 week old not eating solids.

Options
  • 28-09-2014 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all, would really appreciate anyone else's experience with this!

So my LO was 6 months on September 24th... 27 calender weeks to be exact. She was exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months or 24weeks and since has had a combination of breast and formula. I've been trying her with different foods and tastes since 22 weeks. Just getting her used to the spoon etc. But she just has no interest at all. If she were just the 24 weeks i don't think it'd bother me so much but she is nearly 28 weeks. I've tried banana, apple, pear, potato and a few other purées but she won't take any of it! The only thing she might eat is a bit of baby rice mixed with some formula.

I'm going to talk to phn this week but would appreciate any one opinions that has experienced with their baby? My little guy was so so different and was horsing 3 meals into him by 6 months! I know every baby is very different but I'm beginning to worry she isn't getting what she needs and I know there's no nutritional value in baby rice... But it's the only think she might possibly take. And as I said she is nearly 28 weeks. She is definitely not underweight or anything and is having heaps of wet and dirty nappies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

Every Child is different and sometimes 6 months is a little early for some, if there's no weight loss or loss of appetite I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

She's still getting everything she needs from the breast milk and formula so don't worry about that. Until 12 months food is just for fun really.

If she doesn't like the spoonfeeding, would you consider trying babyled weaning? I didn't do it myself with my daughter, but think I'll try if I ever have another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Neither of mine had any interest in food until past 6 months and they were only eating tiny pieces here and there until 7.5-8 months. I did baby led weaning on both and they were very slow to take to food. I tried very hard not to stress about it and followed their lead and they both took to food with great gusto around 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

You could try feeding before bottle around lunch time and just stick to the baby rice for a while. Then mix different flavours in with that. I love baby led weaning and it suited my son. It helped me not stress about what our how much he was eating as I just put the food in front of him and tried to eat the same myself at the same time. He always hated purees (used pear for constipation a bit in the early days of weaning) and would always spit anything smooth back out or have his mouth in lockdown. Eventually he got the swing of it but my walls are marked well from the first few weeks where food was very much a toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

I'd definitely subscribe to the ' food before 1 is just fun' theory. They don't necessarily eat but they learn how to eat if that makes sense - how to handle food, what it feels like in their mouth, in their hands. My daughter had very little interest in food until I returned to work when she was 11 months. It was nerve wreaking but I had to trust that she knew what she was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Different sets of friends found that eating in front of the baby made them desperate for solid food, even before 6 months. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Does she sit at the table during your family meal times? That's what seemed to make our little lady very interested altogether.

I wouldn't worry about it. Babies don't starve themselves at all. She'll get into it when she's ready. There's no way you can force it either way.

Does she try to chew things in her hands? Try putting a slice of apple in her hand and see how she gets on. That's what we started on, she sucked it to bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hey thanks everyone for all your replies! It's really put my mind at ease. And the food before 1 is just for fun theory sounds great :). As I said, put me at ease an awful lot! I spose I'm just so used to my son when at that age there was no stopping him!

She doesn't sit at the table with us. I out her in her swing beside the table while we eat dinner so this is definitely something I will change! So thanks for that advice.

As for the baby led weaning... Well I've heard so many fantastic things about it but i actually think id be a nervous wreck doing it tbh. Some boardies have explained about BLW and the gag reflex and tongue thrust etc superbly Before but I honestly think id have sweat pouring off me doing it! Lol.

I just thought by the age she is she should be taking more. But it's really good to know that we've a few months left before we need to start worrying. Thanks again so much. Always great advice here :)

Era the baby led weaning is just the old finger food by a new swanky name. Seems to sell a few books! ;) We mix it up. Give her finger food to distract her for a few minutes (while trying to eat my own dinner mostly!), but when she gets frustrated with the effort of it all we give her mashed food on a spoon. Twould be feckin hard to let her have the porridge the rest of us are having any other way anyway, and our smallie loves to participate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I agree with the advice to let your baby watch you eat! My fella was dying to eat exactly what we were eating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

J was also very slow to take solids, think he only really started around 7 months or so. hated the babyrice, that stuff is horrible anyway, so ditched it straight away and used ready brek instead.

or maybe try something less sweet? J is still being breastfed and since my diet is fairly spicy, he seems to be accustomed to and loves garlic, curry, different veg etc. cant hurt to experiment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zoe zebra

Babies are all different when it comes to weaning. Some just aren't ready or interested at 6 months but they all get there in the end. You could try her on "petits filous" yoghurts as most babies seem to enjoy that - it would get her used to the whole idea of spoonfeeding and you could then move on to other solids.

I think I was just more worried than anything. But after hearing that some babies aren't even interested till 7-8 months I'm not really worried at all now. Was getting a bit stressed! Lol. She refused any breakie or lunch but just ate a whole pot of baby rice for me there!! Dunno why she likes that stuff! Lol. Prob because it's made with milk. :)

Zoe zebra wrote: »
    Babies are all different when it comes to weaning. Some just aren't ready or interested at 6 months but they all get there in the end. You could try her on "petits filous" yoghurts as most babies seem to enjoy that - it would get her used to the whole idea of spoonfeeding and you could then move on to other solids.
    I didn't think babies starting on solids were supposed to be getting cows milk? Also, petit filous are FULL of sugar.

I didn't think babies starting on solids were supposed to be getting cows milk? Also, petit filous are FULL of sugar.

Id only give my wee ones formula or breastmilk in their food. After a few months Might use a bit of cows milk to mash a spud etc when they're well used to solids :)

I didn't think babies starting on solids were supposed to be getting cows milk?

Crap! I've been giving her the same porridge as the rest of us, made with ordinary milk. Is it supposed to harm her in some way? What's the reason.

edit:
    Ah the internets.... From NHS weaning guidelines here:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx?nobanner=dassignup#close
    Whole cows’ milk can be used in cooking or mixed with food from six months.

From the annabel karmel guide:
    http://www.annabelkarmel.com/food-parenting/weaning/introducing-solids
    When to introduce cow’s milk
    Cow’s milk and goat’s milk aren’t suitable alternatives to breast or formula milk before one year, as they don’t contain sufficient iron and other nutrients. However, they can be used in cooking or with cereal from six months."

pwurple wrote: »
    Crap! I've been giving her the same porridge as the rest of us, made with ordinary milk. Is it supposed to harm her in some way? What's the reason.

edit:
    Ah the internets.... From NHS weaning guidelines here:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx?nobanner=dassignup#close

From the annabel karmel guide:
    http://www.annabelkarmel.com/food-parenting/weaning/introducing-solids
    Ah I stand corrected! I thought you couldn't give any milk, and I spent 6 months not cooling things with normal milk. Doh!
    He's 2.5 now, but I'll now for the second baby if we have one!

Yep it's always been documented that cows mill can be used in cooking from 6 months. But a lot of formula fed babies start weaning from 16-17 weeks so I wouldn't say their digestive systems would be quite ready then for cows milk at 16 weeks?

I think for a baby who was exclusively bf id be inclined to hold off slightly longer with the cows milk than if he/she was formula fed?

Ok so for the last few days I've been sitting my little one on my knee while we have our dinner and giving her a little spoon of my spud and carrot etc. Well not so little spoon... I've had to stop her as she just wants to keep eating it all!! Thanks guys for the great advice. Who wuda thought it was all so simple :)

Just to add... It could be because I lace my food with butter!! But she's eating so in delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Great to hear! Was posting to suggest porridge/Ready Brek instead of baby rice - way tastier and more nutritious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had 2 trying to steal food @5 months and 2 with little interest until 7 months and went nearly straight to 3 meals a day.
    They are all different.

Thanks. I really think it's the sitting at the table with us that's got her interested :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We can't eat with out feeding lil miss as soon as she smells food that is it she screams!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You'd better watch out Sligo1. Our madam used to scream for whatever she saw anyone eating from 8 months old. It could be one of us at the table or a stranger on the street. She didn't discriminate! She's been known to snatch food from the smaller ones in crèche and wrestle the older ones for their food! And she had absolutely no interest in good at 6 months.

She sounds like my son How Strange! He goes around the tables at the toddler cafes like a little vulture! Ud think he never got fed! He eats loads. When we used go to a normal cafe he would eat his lunch in 60 seconds than scream till he got some of everybody else's aswell! Thank god he's not as bad now (nearly 2)... But a few months ago was a nightmare. Lol.

Advertisement