Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charge letter

Options
  • 28-09-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

I haven't received anything yet. Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I haven't received anything yet. Anyone else?

Thousands so far apparently not all area's have received there packages yet .

Yet been the keyword

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I got one , and i rang them to ask about monthly direct debit payments , and they were unable to let me know the payment arrangements .

They said that the picture should become clearer in the next week , and they waiting for financial regulator to advise them

Its a real mess - every question I asked had absolutely no answer from them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Nothing here yet either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I got one , and i rang them to ask about monthly direct debit payments , and they were unable to let me know the payment arrangements .

They said that the picture should become clearer in the next week , and they waiting for financial regulator to advise them

Its a real mess - every question I asked had absolutely no answer from them .

Jesus, Mary and Joseph is all I can say

Gatling wrote: »
    Thousands so far apparently not all area's have received there packages yet .

Yet been the keyword

And tomorrow is 29 September. Bloody hell.

• Advertisement

And tomorrow is 29 September. Bloody hell.

I know

We have ours and our landlords pack sitting in a drawer

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We have ours and our landlords pack sitting in a drawer

Send it to your landlord? :)

Victor wrote: »
    Send it to your landlord? :)

He gave it to me .

"I'm not paying for it and I certainly don't want your pps number "
    "Your apartment isn't been metered and they can restrict the flow "
    I'm not paying
    so why should you .
    His exact words .
    Personally I want more information on how we're been assessed to how we are been charged .

I'm not personally refusing to pay but I want to know how much I'm going to be charged and based off what .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If it's an apartment the management company may be liable and they can add it to your landlord 's management fees so he will end up paying if you don't comply.

He gave it to me .

"I'm not paying for it and I certainly don't want your pps number "
    "Your apartment isn't been metered and they can restrict the flow "
    I'm not paying
    so why should you .
    His exact words .
    Personally I want more information on how we're been assessed to how we are been charged .

I'm not personally refusing to pay but I want to know who much I'm going to be charged and based off what .

He shouldn't have given to you. His pack is his problem, not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Mucker2020

I got the letter but what I don't like is it's a private company looking for my family and I's PPS number,thinking about not complying with giving my personal info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

He shouldn't have given to you. His pack is his problem, not yours.

It may be his pack but it is the tenants liability. Landlords don't pay this charge.

AlanG wrote: »
    It may be his pack but it is the tenants liability. Landlords don't pay this charge.

Apparently it's passed on to the landlord if the tenants doesn't pay.
    Somebody posted it a while ago on another forum in here

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Received last week. Galway city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Nothing received here either, perhaps they'll send the packs out to the forgotten few this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Received mine this morning but the name of a previous occupier (from years ago) was on it so can't open it. No idea how that name was on it, the person would have only had a mobile bill or maybe health insurance at the address. Will have to put it back in the post box. Nuisance.

moxin wrote: »
    Nothing received here either, perhaps they'll send the packs out to the forgotten few this week?
    They can't process more than a million forms 'just like that', so there is no need for them to send them all out at the same time.
    Received mine this morning but the name of a previous occupier (from years ago) was on it so can't open it. No idea how that name was on it, the person would have only had a mobile bill or maybe health insurance at the address. Will have to put it back in the post box. Nuisance.
    Might it have been from the PRTB registration or some other utility?

Something for landlords to read and smile about
    taken from the Irish times

Landlords not liable for tenants’ water bills

Irish Water has said landlords will not be held liable for arrears of water charges built up by their tenants.
    The utility firm said landlords will be sent application packs in relation to their rental properties, which they must forward to the tenants.
    In the case of an owner occupier, the full allowances in relation to water usage are allocated in the normal way and the occupier is liable for the bill.
    A spokeswoman explained that if the property was unoccupied the landlord could claim unoccupied dwelling status and pay a set charge. The level of which is still under consideration by the regulator. In this case the landlord is liable for the charge.
    However in the case of a rented property, Irish Water said, “The tenant is liable for the charge and is also eligible for the allowances as the property is the principal primary residence of that household.”
    However the spokeswoman said application packs for rented dwellings would be addressed to the landlord, at the landlord’s residence, and it would be the landlord’s responsibility to ensure the tenant received the application pack.
    Bills are to be issued quarterly, but as Irish Water will have the tenant’s PPS number, the utility firm will be able to pursue the tenant for any arrears and even apply any arrears to new accounts, when the tenant moves to a new address.
    Last week landlords had expressed concern over potential arrears, the liability for them and the possibility of being used as collection agents by Irish Water.
    The spokeswoman said she would ascertain the position of long-term foreign renters, such as students, who may not have a PPS number, and said this would be clarified in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Victor wrote: »
    They can't process more than a million forms 'just like that', so there is no need for them to send them all out at the same time.Might it have been from the PRTB registration or some other utility?

A PIN comes with the pack in order to complete an online version of the form which presumably is processed automatically. I'd guess the majority of it online as it's less hassle than posting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Got mine today in Adamstown, but what puzzles me is that there's no water meter anywhere here so how are they going to monitor and report my water usage?? or is there a flat fee for those without a water meter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Something for landlords to read and smile about
    taken from the Irish times

Landlords not liable for tenants’ water bills

Irish Water has said landlords will not be held liable for arrears of water charges built up by their tenants.
    The utility firm said landlords will be sent application packs in relation to their rental properties, which they must forward to the tenants.
    In the case of an owner occupier, the full allowances in relation to water usage are allocated in the normal way and the occupier is liable for the bill.
    A spokeswoman explained that if the property was unoccupied the landlord could claim unoccupied dwelling status and pay a set charge. The level of which is still under consideration by the regulator. In this case the landlord is liable for the charge.
    However in the case of a rented property, Irish Water said, “The tenant is liable for the charge and is also eligible for the allowances as the property is the principal primary residence of that household.”
    However the spokeswoman said application packs for rented dwellings would be addressed to the landlord, at the landlord’s residence, and it would be the landlord’s responsibility to ensure the tenant received the application pack.
    Bills are to be issued quarterly, but as Irish Water will have the tenant’s PPS number, the utility firm will be able to pursue the tenant for any arrears and even apply any arrears to new accounts, when the tenant moves to a new address.
    Last week landlords had expressed concern over potential arrears, the liability for them and the possibility of being used as collection agents by Irish Water.
    The spokeswoman said she would ascertain the position of long-term foreign renters, such as students, who may not have a PPS number, and said this would be clarified in due course.

Thanks for sharing that. Good news, and how it should be.....there should not be comeback onto the LL.

No LL is going to rent a place now to a tenant not willing to provide their PPS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

bada_bing wrote: »
    Got mine today in Adamstown, but what puzzles me is that there's no water meter anywhere here so how are they going to monitor and report my water usage?? or is there a flat fee for those without a water meter?

There's a flat fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,942 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There is a water meter outside my door but i have no access to it.
    How am I supposed to monitor the water I use if I have no access to this meter?
    I can access my gas and electricity meter but not my water. Seems unfair and open to exploitation in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've said this on a previous thread, but: Got ours a couple of weeks ago. It was addressed to our landlord, but is in fact for us.

The form is very poorly drafted, and it's difficult to ascertain the exact information IW are after, so that we are billed correctly and not the LL. I've asked them several times for clarification and have asked my neighbour's son who works in the call centre. Nobody seems to know.

It's a classic case of the mushroom syndrome, isn't it? Kept in the dark and fed bullsh*t...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

On the flip side once a leak is found after the alleged "first fix free" the bill should revert to the landlord as tenants are not and should not be responsible for leaks.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I've said this on a previous thread, but: Got ours a couple of weeks ago. It was addressed to our landlord, but is in fact for us.

The form is very poorly drafted, and it's difficult to ascertain the exact information IW are after, so that we are billed correctly and not the LL. I've asked them several times for clarification and have asked my neighbour's son who works in the call centre. Nobody seems to know.

It's a classic case of the mushroom syndrome, isn't it? Kept in the dark and fed bullsh*t...

What isn't clear on the forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Mucker2020 wrote: »
    I got the letter but what I don't like is it's a private company looking for my family and I's PPS number,thinking about not complying with giving my personal info.

It's how they determine allowances.
    The pps number is unique to one person and you can only have one main residence. If you didn't use pps numbers, you'd have some individuals with 4 children and the neighbour next door would have 4 children as well when there's only 2 in each.

Mr.S wrote: »
    For those who aren't going to be metered, and will be charged the flat fee, could you not just say there is 1 adult living in your household, if there was say, 5 adults living there (common with houseshares etc?) and be charged the cheapest charge?

Seems a bit unfair no?
    That would be lying and one could be convicted of fraud.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Its a fair point to raise though.

I can't imagine Irish Water have data on each household with regards to habitants and rooms in each residence?

Would they even be allowed send someone around to verify? How can they even verify it, if allowed :confused:

Going by the above link, the difference between 1 and 2 adults per house is €100 a year for the flat rate, not a huge amount to be fair, but still.

Surely loads of couples will be saying there is 1 adult living in the residence when really its both, to save on €100...

As I said, unfair on the metered folk!

I live in an apartment complex and we've been told that we will always be on the flat rate, as the complex will not be getting metered.

But the problem is are we going to be charged fairly or are we going to get more adjustments based off so called average useage

• Advertisement

AlanG wrote: »

I know that. But the landlord still receives a landlord pack that he has to deal with. The tenants receive their own pack which is their responsibility to complete.

Advertisement