Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JFK airport to the city

Options
  • 28-09-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi

Travelling to New York in December.

What's the best way to get from JFK airport to the city. We are staying in Row NYC Hotel Building in New York City, New York 700 8th Ave, New York, NY 10036,.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That sounds like Manhattan so your best bet is to get a yellow cab outside the terminal, the Taxi and Limousine Commission has set a flat fare of $50 plus tolls from JFK to the first stop in Manhattan. That means that as long as all of you are terminating at the same spot in Manhattan, the fare from JFK is fixed.

There might be a case to use the Long Island railway if travelling alone but since you mention 'we', I'd say with luggage and a minimum of two people, the yellow cab is the way to do it.

I only noticed when reading the TLC website that the flat fare now also applies to outbound taxi trips, it used to only apply to trips from JFK to Manhattan i.e. inbound. You can see the legacy of the original rule in the header below which only refers to 'From JFK' but the text clearly shows that it applies to trips in both directions.

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport:

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

If passengers request multiple stops, the flat rate of $52.00 will be collected at the first stop in either Manhattan or JFK International Airport, and the meter will be activated at Rate Code 1 (standard city rate) for the remainder of the trip. The metered fare should be collected at the last stop, from the last passenger.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Get the air train. Then hop on the Long Island railway one or two stops to 61th at Woodside and get the 7 into the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Or just get the E straight from the Airtrain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Yellow cab is prob the best option since there must be at least two of you plus bags.

A cheaper option to a cab is NYC Airporter - $16 one-way.
    http://www.nycairporter.com/Schedule/GrandCentraltoJFKAirport.aspx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

ChewyLewy wrote: »
    What's the best way to get from JFK airport to the city.

On the back of a motorcycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its easier from Newark Airport. If thats still an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

leck wrote: »
    Yellow cab is prob the best option since there must be at least two of you plus bags.

A cheaper option to a cab is NYC Airporter - $16 one-way.
    http://www.nycairporter.com/Schedule/GrandCentraltoJFKAirport.aspx

This takes forever to get to Manhattan.

The $70 (flat fare + tolls + tip) is a much better shout if you value your time / personal space.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

boreder wrote: »
    This takes forever to get to Manhattan.

The $70 (flat fare + tolls + tip) is a much better shout if you value your time / personal space.

Not $70, it's $52 plus tolls and tips, see my link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

coylemj wrote: »
    Not $70, it's $52 plus tolls and tips, see my link above.

Yeah, add $52 + tolls + tip .... adds up to $70 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

boreder wrote: »
    Yeah, add $52 + tolls + tip .... adds up to $70 or thereabouts.

I'd second this, I was just there in June and I took a taxi and gave a tip which brought it up to $70 including the tolls. I got a car service for slightly less going back to JFK it was $65 all in, the hotel sorted this for me its worth looking into if you're leaving at rush hour when taxis are hard to come by.

• Advertisement
Advertisement