Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snoop Dogg

• 28-09-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

What is the appeal of Snoop Dogg.
    Just occurred to me today while one of his videos played in the background today at the gym.

As I understand it he's a middle age man who calls himself Snoop Dogg/Snoop Lion who thinks pimps are cool (and was one apparently), smokes a lot of pot, promotes the execrable gangsta rap genre and has been done for firearm possession.
    Yet he's invariably described as legend etc.

What am I missing with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Because he's a legend, ya hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

His first album......after that forget about him

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

What is the appeal of Snoop Dogg.
    Just occurred to me today while one of his videos played in the background today at the gym.

As I understand it he's a middle age man who calls himself Snoop Dogg/Snoop Lion who thinks pimps are cool (and was one apparently), smokes a lot of pot, promotes the execrable gangsta rap genre and has been done for firearm possession.
    Yet he's invariably described as legend etc.

What am I missing with this.

Listen to Doggystyle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I think the hype is all about the time he changed his name from Snooepy-Snoopey Dog-Dog, to the more sensible Snoop-Dog. He won my undying admiration that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Pure scumbag all right, but some great tunes/collaborations.

His acting is really good in Training Day too, although he's playing a street hustla crack-head so not hugely difficult I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

He's a fucking tosspot.

End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

You can forget about Icy Tea and Scoopy Scoopy Dog Dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Because swag swag yolo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I saw that he did voice overs for the latest Call of Duty game too. That's just taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.
    He da man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

I can't name one of his songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

snoops cousin is sasha banks...she is the boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Bitch please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Because he's a legend, ya hear?

Fo shizzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

He no Biggie. Dat fo sho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

As I understand it he's a middle age man who calls himself Snoop Dogg/Snoop Lio.

To be fair, it's preferable to his real name, Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

He wants a part in Corrie, last thing I heard.
    He could play Emily Bishop's new love interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He really does look like a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

His acting is really good in Training Day.

His acting is good in real life as well, because all of us buy into his persona. And the people that hate on him have bought into it the most. It's the same with all of those rappers, but most especially people like Biggie Smalls and Tupac. They adopt personalities in their songs, telling stories that don't always reflect who they actually are. Johnny Cash sung of "shooting a man in Reno, just to watch him die." Well Tupac and Biggie done similar things. Read their actual biographies, and then listen to their lyrics. That's not who they are or were. The material is often objectionable, and an artist is ultimately responsible for what he or she brings into the world, but it's a mistake to think that Snoop, Dre, Jay Z or any of those guys are really that stupid and ignorant. They're very clever people. They've created fictions that are worth billions, and they're exploiting them to the max. "Don't hate the playa, hate the game."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Laois6556 wrote: »

I guarantee you'd recognise one if playing, hell you might even sing along. G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Why does Snoop Dog carry an umbrella?

Fo' Drizzle.

What's brown and rhymes with snoop?
    Dr. Dre

Laois6556 wrote: »

I can't name a single One Direction song, but I've heard them all a hundred times over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

What's brown and rhymes with snoop?
    Dr. Dre

Dammit, Doodles! That was gonna be my next one!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Drop It Like It's Hot is 10 years old this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Drop It Like It's Hot is 10 years old this year

So is the Spongebob Movie.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Duff wrote: »
    Why does Snoop Dog carry an umbrella?

Fo' Drizzle.
    Why does he fry his rashers?

Fo' sizzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

Got my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No interest in him at all, just another 'brand' rapper.

However.. 'Regulate'. ****ing tune and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Strumms wrote: »
    No interest in him at all, just another 'brand' rapper.

However.. 'Regulate'. ****ing tune and a half.

That was Nate Dogg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Three reasons; he got a Guage an uzi and his muthafukin twenty two.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Schwiiing wrote: »
    That was Nate Dogg.

I appreciate that you don't appreciate the joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Strumms wrote: »
    I appreciate that you don't appreciate the joke.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Nas is where its at.Comin out of Queensbridge mothafukah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I love "California gurls" with Katy perry and "buttons" and "bottle pop" with The pussycat dolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Guys like Shaggy, Shabba Ranks and Snow are the real rappers. Any eejit can buy an Uzi and a Hummer and act the hardman, but it takes a special type of character to bring rap to the masses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

but it takes a special type of character to bring rap to the masses.

That'd be the rapping priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The whole gangsta persona was so phony. Suge Knight said that he wasn't even a member of the Crips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The whole gangsta persona was so phony. Suge Knight said that he wasn't even a member of the Crips.
    Of course it's phony, why else do you think they make the transition into acting so easily?

In fact the only rapper I think of that never made a decent movie is MarkyMark, wonder what became of him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

Guys like Shaggy, Shabba Ranks and Snow are the real rappers. Any eejit can buy an Uzi and a Hummer and act the hardman, but it takes a special type of character to bring rap to the masses.
    :pac:

Honey came in and she caught me red-handed
    Creeping with the girl next door
    Picture this, we were both caught banging on the bathroom floor..

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

This is the good stuff:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I always get a laugh out of all those rap rivalries. Seems like a lot of them are just a publicity stunt to get people to buy more albums.

My favorite rap rivalry however is Easy E and DR Dre. Easy E made some cool diss songs back in the day. He also targets Snoop Dogg too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'd say there are two types of successful rappers. Those who believe their own hype and think they are genuinely "gangster" :pac: and then those who laugh all the way to the bank. Knowing what rap is. Just playing the game.

Imo, I reckon Snoop Dog is the latter. He did do an ad for Money Supermarket :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

I can't stand him and most rappers. He's popular because of his pot usage and don't give a f attitude.
    A lot people just say they like him for street credibility. He is a good husband and father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think his appeal is limited, mostly, to scumbags, spongers and knac*ers who aspire to be gangsters and who spend most of their time sat on their asses smoking dope they bought with their Dole money tbh.

I looked him up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkMNOlYcpHg

wat

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I kind of like him. Not sure why but he seems like a good bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

His acting is good in real life as well, because all of us buy into his persona. And the people that hate on him have bought into it the most. It's the same with all of those rappers, but most especially people like Biggie Smalls and Tupac. They adopt personalities in their songs, telling stories that don't always reflect who they actually are. Johnny Cash sung of "shooting a man in Reno, just to watch him die." Well Tupac and Biggie done similar things. Read their actual biographies, and then listen to their lyrics. That's not who they are or were. The material is often objectionable, and an artist is ultimately responsible for what he or she brings into the world, but it's a mistake to think that Snoop, Dre, Jay Z or any of those guys are really that stupid and ignorant. They're very clever people. They've created fictions that are worth billions, and they're exploiting them to the max. "Don't hate the playa, hate the game."

Yeah that's bang on the money IMO. Same deal with Eminem , great at marketing. Lady Gaga the same.

Sure Marilyn Manson in the early naughties was the biggest thing on the plant in the 'goth' 'nu metal' genre. He had his character down to a tee but that's all it was , a gimmick. IN real life Manson is a very intelligent/normal person who is nothing like the character , he just made millions out of playing a character and people really bought into it, love or hate him. Actually came across very 'geeky'.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Yeah that's bang on the money IMO. Same deal with Eminem , great at marketing. Lady Gaga the same.

Sure Marilyn Manson in the early naughties was the biggest thing on the plant in the 'goth' 'nu metal' genre. He had his character down to a tee but that's all it was , a gimmick. IN real life Manson is a very intelligent/normal person who is nothing like the character , he just made millions out of playing a character and people really bought into it, love or hate him. Actually came across very 'geeky'.

Exactly. And what I love about Manson is that he's so forthright about it. He tells you that you're looking at a performance, not a personality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement