Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters events?

Options
  • 28-09-2014 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm 36 .....do I have to enter Masters events or could I remain in the 'regular' category? would mean separating from friends who are only a few years younger....and also have to accept that I am getting old :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi I'm 36 .....do I have to enter Masters events or could I remain in the 'regular' category? would mean separating from friends who are only a few years younger....and also have to accept that I am getting old :)

Most road races are run together it's only differentiated when it comes to results.

Similarly Senior races do not exclude masters (i.e National Championships etc)

There are some Masters only races but you will not be booted from Senior competition for being "too old"

you don't even have to enter as a Master if you do not wish to in many road races.

Masters categories are used to include people rather than exclude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thanks, this is cross country by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks, this is cross country by the way :)
    You can run in anything but the junior events. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

do people usually go straight to Masters the moment they turn 36?...a friend said today that I will be in Masters long enough and to wait until I'm 40 :) like a lot of sports people I don't look 36, some people mistake me for even being in my 20's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

do people usually go straight to Masters the moment they turn 36?...a friend said today that I will be in Masters long enough and to wait until I'm 40 :) like a lot of sports people I don't look 36, some people mistake me for even being in my 20's :)
    It's not like some kind of 'coming of age'. Do the masters XC if you want to. Don't do it, if you don't want to. Do the novice, intermediate and senior if you feel like it.

When you sign up for a road race, they'll usually take your date of birth, and some races have additional prizes for age groups (junior, senior, M35, M40, M45 etc.). Needless to say, you can't change your age, so in these cases, you compete for the prizes in your category, but you're still racing the same people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's an extra set of races you can choose to take part in if you want.
    Loads of the people running the Novice/intermediate/senior XC races are Masters. Masters athletes can also run the Masters XC.
    I don't know how many people in the T&F championships are Masters but there's certainly no bar on them entering. But Masters athletes can also compete in the Indoor Masters and National Masters.
    for the Road Relays, there is no maximum age for the athletes on a team, but older athletes can form a masters team and run that race instead.
    And general road races everyone runs together, but there may be age group prizes too

Advertisement