Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Bridge Construction

Options
  • 28-09-2014 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello all !

I am currently attempting to construct a model truss bridge to span a 700mm gap with a point load of 90N as part of an engineering module. No restriction on height or width or choice of material. It has been requested that the bridge fail when the 90N point load is imposed (or as close as possible)

From initial research online, I intend to make it from popsicle sticks but have concerns about achieving a pinned joint with this material as glue is not preferred by our lecturer. We are also requested to provide our calculations on how we arrived at the chosen design.

I like to ask if anyone can provide any tips as to how to start this, as our only experience to date has been with some simple truss analysis and I seem to hitting dead-ends with my online research.

Thank you in advance for reading this and would welcome any advice/suggestions

Regards
    John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Use balsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 maquel sanchez

Thank you for the reply.
    Do you have any suggestion on how to go about this? As this is very new to me, I am fairly lost when it comes to the process to undertake. I been searching for online material to assist with this but most results only seem to some the assembly of the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Thank you for the reply.
    Do you have any suggestion on how to go about this? As this is very new to me, I am fairly lost when it comes to the process to undertake. I been searching for online material to assist with this but most results only seem to some the assembly of the bridge.
    Do a simple truss analysis first. Software like CSC Tedds (or whatever analysis software they use in the department) will give you the forces in the members and if you input the material properties it will tell you how much it will deflect.

Identify the tension and compression members from the analysis. Use piano wire for the tension members and balsa wood for the compression members. Create the joints using piano wire (just push it through the wood).

You can get balsa in the model making shop in the city center.

Advertisement