Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horse chestnut tree (conker)

• 28-09-2014 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi hope someone can help my son would like me to plant some conkers in the garden. I have no idea how to plant conkers in the hope that they become a tree. So i am asking my fellow boardies to give me a idots step by step guide to planting horsechestnuts.

Thanking you in advance
    gumgum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Take conker out of shell. Stick in a pot with some damp compost or earth.

Wait.

When it has a leaf or two, transplant into a spot in the garden.

PS, hope you have a BIG garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

pwurple wrote: »
    Take conker out of shell. Stick in a pot with some damp compost or earth.

Wait.

When it has a leaf or two, transplant into a spot in the garden.

PS, hope you have a BIG garden!
    Thanks for the reply lots of confusing answers when i googled it like drying the conker out wetting it again planting it a certain way in the pot thanks again sounds simple now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Can I repeat, you need a BIG garden. A very big garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

tampopo wrote: »
    Can I repeat, you need a BIG garden. A very big garden.

Thanks yes we have a big garden how fast do they grow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

gumgum1 wrote: »

About 18inches per year when young. Slowing down with age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

gumgum1 wrote: »

About 18inches per year when young. Slowing down with age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

your son could have a son before the tree produces fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

You should get conkers in 15 years or so, when the tree is about 8-10 feet tall, not many but some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Our horse chestnut tree is now about 15 feet tall and this is the first year it has given any decent conkers.
    Last year there was very few and I don't think we had any at all any previous year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just to be clear, when wpurple says take conker out of shell, the shell is the green prickly bit. Plant them soon after they come out of the shell, or it splits.

If you think about it, conker falls off tree in shell and lands in leafmould. Green bit splits and conker may or may not fall out, snuggles down in remains of shell and leafmould, and if not eaten by squirrels etc, sooner or later it germinates. So put the pot outside (a conker is quite big so a biggish pot), cover with a bit of wire net to keep animals out, and wait. Do several but you really will only need one tree!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one option would be to plant it in an old milk carton, with holes in the bottom for drainage. it sends down a root as it grows, and the carton would be deeper than a lot of other pots, to allow for this.

Advertisement