Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges & self employed (tax clearance cert)

Options
  • 28-09-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Working for myself, hopefully going to be doing some government department stuff & they'll be looking for a tax clearance certificate every year.

I'm against the water charges but if I don't register or return the pack, will that mean I won't be able to get my TCA next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

OU812 wrote: »
    Working for myself, hopefully going to be doing some government department stuff & they'll be looking for a tax clearance certificate every year.

I'm against the water charges but if I don't register or return the pack, will that mean I won't be able to get my TCA next year?

No. It's not a tax, it's a utility bill. That'd be like refusing you a TCC because you owe the ESB money.

Having said that though - I don't understand what the big deal is for people with the water charges. Returning to the ESB analogy, if CJ Haughey had made electricity "free" at point of use in order to win an election, which afaik is what was done with water, would the same people have the same issue when common sense prevailed and someone said, "sorry now lads, but that's clearly wrong, utilities need to be paid for by the users, based on usage".

That's all that's happening here, they're realigning us with how proper grown up countries manage these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I don't understand what the big deal is for people with the water charges.

Why is a private company asking for PPS numbers and how are they cross checking them with government databases without breaching data protection rules?
    Why, if Irish Water are not able to put a meter on my water supply, should I have to pay the 'average' water charge when I know we use way below the 'average' family.
    Why are Irish Water employing 1000's of superfluous staff carried over from the councils?
    It is just another tax Barney, another tax with zero accountability to the taxpayer! :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why is a private company asking for PPS numbers and how are they cross checking them with government databases without breaching data protection rules?
    Why, if Irish Water are not able to put a meter on my water supply, should I have to pay the 'average' water charge when I know we use way below the 'average' family.
    Why are Irish Water employing 1000's of superfluous staff carried over from the councils?
    It is just another tax Barney, another tax with zero accountability to the taxpayer! :(

There are entire threads dedicated to this in politics, after hours and legal discussion forums. Your questions are all answered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Graham wrote: »
    There are entire threads dedicated to this in politics, after hours and legal discussion forums. Your questions are all answered there.

I know, but I like it better here! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I know, but I like it better here! :D

Me too, mostly because the politics rarely sneaks in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Why is a private company asking for PPS numbers and how are they cross checking them with government databases without breaching data protection rules? :(

If you don't want your free allowance, you don't need to give the pps number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Do you have a bank account, a credit union account, a pension etc ?

All of these private entities ask for your PPS No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

OU812 wrote: »

Wouldn't worry too much about it, Irish Water haven't got a Tax Clearance Cert themselves

http://www.google.ie/url?q=http://www.water.ie/docs/IrishWater-TaxClearanceCertificateNovember2013.pdf&sa=U&ei=KD5mVOtwiO1qzM6AkAY&ved=0CB4QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEDfmV2vfxZu11DowobLGVivXzLrQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Sorry but this is a thread that is more at home in the politics forum rather then the business forum and as it is certainly an emotive issue for some folks I am going to close this thread.

OP, the revenue commissioners currently do not have any roll in the collection of the water charges unlike the local property tax. Therefore at this point at least, it is not going to stop you getting a tax clearance certificate.

dbran

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement