Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is This Copyright?

Options
  • 28-09-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,
    I have an idea for an app. I searched around online to see if there was a service similar to my idea. There is a website that does the exact same thing but does not have it as a mobile application only a desktop website.

If I were to continue with this idea and make it into an app with different name etc could that website come after me?

Sorry if this is a rookie question.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand no. Copyright is the protection of the expression of an idea and not the idea itself. So long as one does not copy the businesses material like name, logos etc., then in general copying a business idea is not copyrighted. If otherwise them only one online book store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

As the previous poster said it is unlikely to infringe any copyright. You would need to check if they hold any patents that protect the idea, again highly unlikely. Just make sure that you do not use a very similar name or branding that could leave you open to an action for "passing off"....

Advertisement