Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had to cancel hotel booking; they have refused refund

Options
  • 28-09-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

We booked our hotel in the U for a 4 night stay about 8 weeks ago but during the week my partnet got ill durng the week and on doctors order we have to cancel our trip to the UK. The e-mail said no refunds but we have medical letter stating reasons why my partner cannot fly but hotel are insisting on giving zero refund, have we any leg to stand on ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm fairly sure you don't tbh it's what travel insurance is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sounds like the cancellation policy was clearly and unequivocally stated. You could always ask them for credit to use in future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

The reason I never prepay unless totally unavoidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Can you sell it on to someone else? Adverts.ie/Donedeal.ie are good for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dobsdave wrote: »
    The reason I never prepay unless totally unavoidable.

If you have made a contract the company can still come after you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Del2005 wrote: »

Hypothetically?

They hardly would though. A hotel, in another jurisdiction, chasing somebody through the courts for a couple of nights accommodation. May as well keep the discussion in the real world.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Del2005 wrote: »

Eh no, what I do is book rooms that can cancelled up to 24hrs before arrival.
    If you dont show up/cancel in good time, they take the first night payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Many hotels using both direct booking through their own website or through an intermediary website like hotels.com offer reduced rates on rooms booked with no refund if cancelled or put another way, charge more for the facility to cancel up to the day if arrival. You can't take the lower price, agree to the T&Cs and then crib about them not giving you your money back when you cancel.

Advertisement