Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

variable rate mortgage interest calculation

Options
  • 29-09-2014 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows exactly how interested is calculated on a variable rate mortgage and also if there is a better time to pay a lump sum? As it is now I pay a set amount of approx €1000 per month but I am also charged additional interest every three months which varies from approx €1500-€1700. Can anyone please explain this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The sooner you pay the better.....the interest is calculated retrospectively every x months

X is obviously 3 months for you, depends on the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Can a bank take interest every month instead of 3? They take mine every quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Robbie G wrote: »
    Can a bank take interest every month instead of 3? They take mine every quarter

I think quarter is the most common but it doesnt make any difference as the total interest amount will be the same in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I think quarter is the most common but it doesnt make any difference as the total interest amount will be the same in any case

+1 The interest is effectively calculated daily but if they showed it accruing every day then your statement would be very unwieldy so they only visibly add it every month or quarter.

I think the OP might be of the view that it's better to pay a lump sum on the day before the interest is (visibly) added to the account but that would be wrong. The earlier you pay the lump sum, the less interest you pay so if you have the cash to spare then unless you can get more interest in a deposit account than what you're currently being charged on the mortgage (highly unlikely), you should lodge the money as soon as you can.

Advertisement