Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2014 (Spoiler Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

A few of the contestants have already revealed their songs for next week:

Stevi - Addicted to Love (Robert Palmer)

Only the Young - The Power of Love (Huey Lewis)

Jake Quickenden - Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler)

Chloe Jasmine - Call Me (Blondie)

They all seem suitable enough, except for Jake. That song seems like a strange fit for him.

I love Chloe's song, but I hope she doesn't jazzify it too much - the original is perfect the way it is.

I agree. Loving these song choices so far although Jake seems a bit meek to pull off Total Eclipse,would've thought Andrea would have been given that one. Still,no harm to shake things up a bit I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

No sign of the song choices yet? I'm waiting to see what they are before making my prediction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

No sign of the song choices yet? I'm waiting to see what they are before making my prediction :D

Me too :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

This weekend's songs. Poor Jay. Andrea rather predictably gets a Whitney song.
    Boys

Andrea Faustini
    One Moment In Time (Whitney Houston)

Jake Quickenden
    Total Eclipse Of The Heart (Bonnie Tyler)

Paul Akister
    If You Don't Know Me By Now (Simply Red)

Jack Walton
    Straight Up (Paula Abdul)

Girls

Chloe Jasmine
    Fame (Irene Cara)

Lauren Platt
    What A Feeling (Irene Cara)

Lola Saunders
    Imagine (John Lennon)

Stephanie Nala
    Call Me (Blondie)

Groups

Only The Young
    Come On Eileen (Dexy's Midnight Runners)

Stereo Kicks
    Boys Of Summer (Don Henley)

Overs

Ben Haenow
    Jealous Guy (Donny Hathoway)

Fleur East
    It's A Shame (Monie Love)

Jay James
    I'm Gonna Be - 500 Miles (The Proclaimers)

Stevi Ritchie
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick Astley)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I thought Chloe was singing Call Me, not Stephanie?

Jealous Guy is a great song, hope Ben doesn't butcher it with his shouting.

• Advertisement

Hmmm some interesting choices there.

Not really impressed with the song choices for the boys. Simply Red for Paul? Ick. Andrea's in particular is so bloody uninspired, but no doubt he'll sing it note perfect.

I really like Chloe and Lauren's songs. It'll be another boring performance from Lola and I'm not sure if Stephanie can handle Call Me.

The groups - not bad actually. I think they'll both have fun with those songs.

Jay is being shafted with that song, not that I really care cos I can't stand him. I would have liked for Ben to do something upbeat this week, it's a good song but I reckon he'll give another shouty performance. Stevi's song choice was the obvious one from him, it'll be a standard novelty performance.

Overall I think Fleur is going to have another standout performance, as well as Chloe and Lauren. If Stephanie pulls it off, she could have a great week, but it's a risk. I think Mel's made the worst song choices this week :(

This is all I'll be thinking of tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

A lot of very poor song choices there. Also a lot of songs that in their current form wouldn't suit the act. Like Jack singing Paula Abdul. Really can't see it being anything like the original.

I think this just reaffirmed my hatred of 80s week.

I'm also strongly considering putting Jay James in my prediction instead of Jake. What a terrible choice.

The only song I really like out of all of them is Boys of Summer and even at that it was possibly given to the worst contestants. Would have been interesting to see Ben, Jack or even Paul do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Hmmm....some weird changes from the song choices revealed on the Xtra Factor last week, with only Jake sticking with his original choice.

Chloe shouldn't have changed her song - the opening lyrics won't do much to change public perceptions of her. The Blondie track would have suited her much more.
    What's really laughable is Cheryl made a point about Louis picking two tracks from the same artist last week and she goes and does it herself this week with the Irene Cara tracks. :rolleyes:

I agree with IBC, Paul's song just brings back all the awful cheesiness of David Brent. It was, however, originally a soul song from Melvin & the Bluenotes and like I predicted a while back, they're sending him down the soul route this year. It'll suit him, but it's just so 'meh'.

Only the Young should have stuck to the Huey Lewis song. It's more well known and loved than the Dexy's one. They could struggle this week.

I tend to disagree with the opinions that Jay's choice is cack and Fleur's choice is good - If Jay James changes it up and puts his own spin on it, it could be interesting. At least it's something different!
    Fleur's song, however, is not well known enough and is quite niche. It's not a vocalist's song either. She'll be hoping her previous two performances will get her the votes to progress this week, as I don't think this song will resonate with casual viewers at all.

God, Andrea's choices are boring me already - so utterly predictable. He's well on his way to becoming this year's Sam Bailey. He'll still sail through with that song though.

Hard week to call, prediction wise. A lot of weird choices all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I love Andrea but I wish they would have him do something upbeat and fun, it's not as if he doesn't have the personality for it.

I think Lauren's going to be my favourite of the weekend based on that song choice. Hard one to call though, definitely not a fan of 80's week.

• Advertisement

Theme for week 3

Saturday Night at the Movies

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep19week44/x-factor

Some great songs were released in the 80s, and they still manage to pick dire ones. I would have liked to hear Stephanie sing something like Into The Groove, think that would suit her. Andrea could have done a good job of INXS' Never Tear Us Apart too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    Some great songs were released in the 80s, and they still manage to pick dire ones.

"They love Whitney Houston, they love Bonnie Tyler, they love Dexy's Midnight Runners, they love the Proclaimers, and above all they love Rick Astley. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!"

flicks_couch1-7_08.jpg

Also, "Jealous Guy" only barely qualifies as an 80s song (thanks to Bryan Ferry and Co), while "Imagine" doesn't qualify at all. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was wondering about Jealous Guy. It looks like he'll probably sing the Donny Hathaway version. Donny Hathaway was dead before the 80s even started. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Lola, Jack, Only The Young, and possibly Jake are in trouble with those songs.

Poor song for Andrea too but his vocal will get him through. Stephanie might get reactive votes to help her get through.

Finally, I look forward to an utterly naff performance from Stereo Kicks.

Andrea is loved enough to get him through even though it's a totally uninspired song choice, but Mel should try and be a little more creative with the song choices in future. It's movie week next week, and I swear, if he comes out and sings Celine Dion or something, it'll be ridiculous.

Yarf Yarf wrote:
    Andrea is loved enough to get him through even though it's a totally uninspired song choice, but Mel should try and be a little more creative with the song choices in future. It's movie week next week, and I swear, if he comes out and sings Celine Dion or something, it'll be ridiculous.

You could probably bet your house on his song being I Will Always Love You from the Bodyguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Andrea is pretty much guaranteed to sail through to the later rounds so Mel B should really bring him out of his comfort zone next week, if he doesn't impress he still has enough support to get him through.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Andrea is pretty much guaranteed to sail through to the later rounds so Mel B should really bring him out of his comfort zone next week, if he doesn't impress he still has enough support to get him through.

Definitely. Now is the time to experiment.

Power ballad after power ballad will wear thin very quickly. Aside from it being so samey, it's also very dated. Whitney and Celine Dion and Mariah Carey ballads have not aged all that well, I don't think. Andrea wont have any chance in the real world if he doesn't explore a more contemporary sound.

• Advertisement

"They love Whitney Houston, they love Bonnie Tyler, they love Dexy's Midnight Runners, they love the Proclaimers, and above all they love Rick Astley. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!"

flicks_couch1-7_08.jpg

Also, "Jealous Guy" only barely qualifies as an 80s song (thanks to Bryan Ferry and Co), while "Imagine" doesn't qualify at all. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Imagine was No.1 in January 1981 after John Lennon's death in December 1980.

MelanieC wrote: »
    Imagine was No.1 in January 1981 after John Lennon's death in December 1980.

True - but it was recorded between May and July 1971, and released in the US in October of that year (reaching #3 on the Billboard Hot 100).

Its first UK release occurred while Lennon was still alive, too, as it reached #6 in November 1975:

http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1975-11-15/

So, ipso facto, it's not an 80s song.

I know but I would imagine just having been a hit in the 80's is enough to qualify for the X Factor 80's week.....they're not exactly sticklers for the rules,are they?!

I don't know why Only The Young changed from The Power of Love to Come On Eileen. As a fan of theirs,I was much more confident with the former. Seems a rather odd choice. Maybe it'll work tho,remains to be seen....

Would have loved them to do Power of Love, great song! The younger audience probably would be more familiar with Come On Eileen though?

MelanieC wrote: »
    I know but I would imagine just having been a hit in the 80's is enough to qualify for the X Factor 80's week.....they're not exactly sticklers for the rules,are they?!

Quite true. ;)

If they ever did a '90s week, I wouldn't be tremendously surprised if the songs included "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Christmas number 1 in '91) and "Unchained Melody" (best-selling single in both '90 and '95).

Quite true. ;)

If they ever did a '90s week, I wouldn't be tremendously surprised if the songs included "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Christmas number 1 in '91) and "Unchained Melody" (best-selling single in both '90 and '95).

Yeah or even Candle In The Wind even though the version released in the 90's had completely different lyrics! :-)

Still waiting for song choices.

Few spoilers from Brian Friedman
    “Paul Akister is going to let loose this week. His performance will be more energetic and up-tempo, which we haven’t seen from him yet,”

“Fleur East will be rapping, dancing and singing LOUDLY on the chorus."

“Stereo Kicks will potentially sing a capella and we’re going to try to mix up their staging.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Is the song list out yet?

gavmcg92 - where do you get your spoilers from? Every time I google for spoilers it brings up stuff from the last show.

Monife wrote: »
    Is the song list out yet?

gavmcg92 - where do you get your spoilers from? Every time I google for spoilers it brings up stuff from the last show.

Either digital spy or tellymix. On top of that the xfactor webpage with itv has a press release section that puts up stuff before it's common knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

This week's song list has been revealed:

Andrea: 'Listen'

Ben: 'I don't Wanna Miss a Thing'

Fleur: 'Lady Marmalade'

Jack: 'Eye of the Tiger'

Jake: 'She's Like the Wind'

Jay: 'Skyfall'

Lauren: 'Let it Go'

Lola: 'When You Believe'

Only the Young': 'Boom Clap'