Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2014 (Spoiler Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Be good if 3 of Simon's acts were in the bottom this weekend

Is there another double elimination this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,276 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ShazGV wrote: »
    Is there another double elimination this weekend?

Not sure tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Be good if 3 of Simon's acts were in the bottom this weekend

Well, considering that exactly half the acts left are his... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

Eh, is anyone really surprised by the fact that a couple of the songs are not big band technically? And anyway, how many bloody times have we had to sit through Summertime at this point? Andrea is probably just going to riff and run all over it anyway, I can already imagine exactly what his performance will be like. Smile has been done before as has Cry Me A River. I'm surprised they didn't throw Feeling Good in there for good measure. They could make some effort to delve a bit further into the American songbook and find songs that haven't been done to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Any song can be "big band" if they use, well, a big band. I don't see the issue. I'm more looking forward to hearing the non-typical big band songs done in that style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Sticking up for Fleur I presume the choice will hark back to the original version - and though 1966 hardly big band but then I suppose you can big band most songs - I think it's a great choice for her - :)

Cry me a river is hardly a big band standard neither would be Empire State of Mind (hate medley's) so I do think big band should have a wide brief - many songs have been transformed (or killed) this way.

Most of the songs actually aren't traditionally "big band" at all, not just one or two. It's not a definitive genre anyway. It started in the 1920s and has evolved with the times. People seem to think it's "rat pack" when it's really not. A lot of songs can be jazzed up and can be stylised to suit other genres, and this often has really interesting results. That's why I'm more looking forward to hearing the "surprise" song choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Most of the songs actually aren't traditionally "big band" at all, not just one or two.

I'm really pleased with the song choices for tonight. It will make it far more interesting. Were going to hear new big band songs. It would have been less interesting if they just picked from previously used songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Stereo Kicks song finally revealed as Mack The Knife.

A proper Big Band song :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Stereo Kicks song finally revealed as Mack The Knife.

A proper Big Band song :)

Yay! Love that song. Hope it works for them now,Westlife did this before so Louis knows what he's doing with this one.

• Advertisement

Oh that could definitely save Stereo Kicks, good choice for them.

Next week's theme confirmed as Whitney Houston v Elton John.

FFS!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Diva Week

Ah jesus. Cheryl said that on Xtra factor but I thought she was joking. Ugh.

If Andrea is given I Will Always Love You, I may actually scream.

Ah jesus. Cheryl said that on Xtra factor but I thought she was joking. Ugh.

Surely with falling ratings, you'd think they might try to modernise or do something more relevant than the same old dated songs they drag out every goddamn year. I'm sick to the back teeth of Whitney fecking Houston.

You can almost predict the song list now before it's released next week. Ugh indeed.

Certain songs and theme should be banned from the show

I don't think I would mind the themes too much if contestants hadn't done songs already this year from those themed artists, does Simon and the producers not plan the themes out before live shows begin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Certain songs and theme should be banned from the show

I don't think I would mind the themes too much if contestants hadn't done songs already this year from those themed artists, does Simon and the producers not plan the themes out before live shows begin?

"They love "Saving All My Love For You", they love "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", they love "Are You Ready For Love" and they love "I'm Still Standing". So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!"

Haven't made a reference to The Running Man in a while... :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Brian Friedman was even giving out about the fact the same songs and themes are used every single year on Xtra Factor

Guaranteed someone will sing Sam Smith's version of How Will I Know and the judges will laud them for being so "original" and "making the song their own".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

"They love "Saving All My Love For You", they love "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", they love "Are You Ready For Love" and they love "I'm Still Standing". So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!"

Haven't made a reference to The Running Man in a while... :o:D;)

Fleur will probably get that one.

Also, I would imagine a lot more goes into the theme selection than just what Simon/TheJudges feel. I would say a lot of it comes down to licencing and how much it costs to actually to perform the song on tv. Or, are they covered by parody law and hence pay nothing at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Id love Fleur to sing My love is your love by Whitney i think it would really suit her.

dubstarr wrote: »
    Id love Fleur to sing My love is your love by Whitney i think it would really suit her.

This is the first thing I thought when I heard the theme too. I'd say she will be given this one alright but tbh,it's very unchallenging vocally & if the others,like Andrea,do well with belters,I reckon she could be in trouble.

MelanieC wrote: »
    This is the first thing I thought when I heard the theme too. I'd say she will be given this one alright but tbh,it's very unchallenging vocally & if the others,like Andrea,do well with belters,I reckon she could be in trouble.

Just because a song isn't a big belter doesn't mean that it's vocally unchallenging. Many belters do so because they can do little else with their voices. Truly good singers know a thing or two about vocal control and what less is more actually means. Billie Holiday never belted and she was probably the best vocalist to ever walk the earth. I agree however that people always just seem to assume that the big belters are automatically better vocalists, which could work against Fleur. Funnily, I think the likes of Whitney Houston have a lot to answer for for that idea!

Personally I'd give Fleur Queen of the Night!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Pity Jay went home they could have done a duet wtht Fleur.I will always love you.:D

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    Just because a song isn't a big belter doesn't mean that it's vocally unchallenging. Many belters do so because they can do little else with their voices. Truly good singers know a thing or two about vocal control and what less is more actually means. Billie Holiday never belted and she was probably the best vocalist to ever walk the earth. I agree however that people always just seem to assume that the big belters are automatically better vocalists, which could work against Fleur. Funnily, I think the likes of Whitney Houston have a lot to answer for for that idea!

Personally I'd give Fleur Queen of the Night!

Oh yeah,I totally agree with you that "belters" are not necessarily more challenging,as you say it's all about vocal control. Lauren's performance this week for example,seemed understated but actually took a lot of vocal control & technique because she was sitting down for the whole song.

But I honestly don't think "Your Love Is My Love" is challenging in any way. Not like some other Whitney songs,even forgetting the "belters".

Queen Of The Night is moreso alright but Fleur doesn't have the voice for it imho. It needs power. I wouldn't be surprised if she does YLIML with a bit of rapping thrown in as per to disguise the fact that she actually can't sing that well!

MelanieC wrote: »
    Oh yeah,I totally agree with you that "belters" are not necessarily more challenging,as you say it's all about vocal control. Lauren's performance this week for example,seemed understated but actually took a lot of vocal control & technique because she was sitting down for the whole song.

But I honestly don't think "Your Love Is My Love" is challenging in any way. Not like some other Whitney songs,even forgetting the "belters".

Queen Of The Night is moreso alright but Fleur doesn't have the voice for it imho. It needs power. I wouldn't be surprised if she does YLIML with a bit of rapping thrown in as per to disguise the fact that she actually can't sing that well!

Except she can though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I think Fleur is a very good singer myself.

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    Except she can though.

Well I don't think so.

• Advertisement

Brendão wrote: »
    I think Fleur is a very good singer myself.

Do you? I think,of the remaining contestants, Lauren, James & Andrea are very good singers. The rest are more good performers/entertainers.

It's just my opinion tho. Horses for courses and all that!

Advertisement