Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arséhole drivers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Those people who race through the amber should have the book thrown at them, I was nearly killed by one the other week. I waited at the pedestrian crossing and when the green man came on I stepped out into the road. After two steps my brain registered something to my right. I looked and there, not three feet away from me, was the front bumper of a massive silver jeep-type thing that had had to do an emergency stop so as to not hit me after the driver sailed through the amber light at the junction. An hour later I was raging that I hadn't given the prick a piece of my mind, but at the time all I could do was stare at it and think 'He could have killed me'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

gramar wrote: »
    If I'm overtaking and someone comes flying up behind me giving it the lights I'll slow down. Any gestures, beeping etc are met with a smile and a wave.

It's easy not to be an arséhole, If I'm approaching a slower moving vehicle and can see someone behind me that is clearly going way faster I'll lift my foot and let them pass before I pull out.

The old man always told that if anyone wants to go faster than you just let them off, no point getting 'involved'.

beat stupid with stupid, good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

kylith wrote: »
    when the green man came on I stepped out into the road. After two steps my brain registered something to my right. .

Pretty dangerous assumption to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Shenshen wrote: »
    The difference is, the learner driver does come with a warning label.

As a cyclist, if I notice a car with an L plate on, I'll be more cautious than normal as I realise they might do something unexpected.
    The BMW driver who a few weeks ago nearly turned me into a smear on a wall in order to avoid a puddle on the road came with no such warning. Well, other than the badge on his car, but I prefer not to judge people by that.

Your fault really, you noticed it was a BMW but ignored the fact that they don't have working indicators.;)

Pretty dangerous assumption to make.
    Would you say that if a blind person got hit by a car at a pedestrian crossing? It should not ever be 'dangerous' to legally cross the road when the green man is on and beeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

That's exactly what it is but for whatever reason experienced driver seem unable or more likely unwilling to see this.

Its road rage... plain and simple. When I see an L plate I give them a decent amount of space because I've been there and a lot of my friends are in that position currently. My family would be the same- males included. I think its also due to the amount of people I've lost due to car accidents that could have been prevented by safe driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

paulbok wrote: »
    Your fault really, you noticed it was a BMW but ignored the fact that they don't have working indicators.;)

*lol I never knew that you were supposed to indicate before pushing a cyclist into a wall on a straight stretch of road! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Would you say that if a blind person got hit by a car at a pedestrian crossing? It should not ever be 'dangerous' to legally cross the road when the green man is on and beeping.

I'm sure you can tell yourself you were 100% in the right as you're being run over by that articulated truck which didn't stop on the red light like he was supposed to - it'll be very comforting for you.

A blind person will be a lot more switched on to what's going on around them then you were btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Glasnevin is full of people who were legally in the right.
    The stare straight ahead and balls it out across the crossing is only necessary when crossing in Eastern Europe where looking at oncoming traffic is by default interpreted as deferrence to the road traffic.
    In Western Europe looking directly at oncoming traffic is more self preservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

tinz18 wrote: »
    Could be the effects of constant bullying- beeping, performing dangerous manoveurs, agressive hand gestures around the learner driver that has them nervous. I see it all the time- its been years since I was a learner but it's as if people see the L plate as a "I don't have to give a s*** about this driver." Its daunting enough being fresh on the road without a guy/gal nearly up your behind and being a**holes because you've stopped at a red light instead of make the dash through the amber, like how dare you (I saw an experienced driver bullied into breaking a red arrow light a few weeks ago in Cork City while drivers behind were beeping agressively- he was in the right to stop but the colour blind guys behind clearly saw the arrow as an instruction to go and decided they were right. I copped what was happening-the girl I had to grab to stop her getting run over was lucky- we had a solid green man to cross). Its the same driving a small car...they are nearly touching your bumper with the engine growling- find it funny when my little car zips away as soon as the green goes while they take a few seconds first to get moving, then a few more to get up to speed.

And people seem to have selective memory, they themselves were NEVER a learner driver. They were born at the wheel!

• Advertisement

Jimmy- some of them weren't...remember how some people were handed their licences without a test back in the 70s or 80s? Maybe thats the problem? That said my mam was one of those and she hasn't had a crash or claim (touch wood) since she started driving. Not even a scratch.

I'm sure you can tell yourself you were 100% in the right as you're being run over by that articulated truck which didn't stop on the red light like he was supposed to - it'll be very comforting for you.

A blind person will be a lot more switched on to what's going on around them then you were btw.

Look, I know what you're saying, and 99 times out of 100 I do check before I cross the road at pedestrian lights, but I'm still right in saying that it should be 100% safe to cross when you hear the beeps as the blind can't look and children don't always have the cop-on to look.

Sure, the fact that I would have been 100% in the right would have been little comfort to my family as I was scraped off the road, but it doesn't change the fact that that b'stard's desire to shave 2 minutes off his commute came within a meter of killing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

tinz18 wrote: »
    Jimmy- some of them weren't...remember how some people were handed their licences without a test back in the 70s or 80s? Maybe thats the problem? That said my mam was one of those and she hasn't had a crash or claim (touch wood) since she started driving. Not even a scratch.

Every fcukin thread this rubbish comes up. Yes, of course these people - now in their 60s are clearly the problem :rolleyes:

Not the teenage or twenties cnut impressing his mates "some boo off that lad" or the teenage or twenties girl driving her mini cooper with the phone plastered to the side of her head like the little b1tch that nearly creamed my pregnant oh yesterday. I got the finger when I told her to get off her fcukin phone.

Yet this stupid crap is dragged up again and again. No, I wasn't one of them.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

We need to give a catchy name to this kind of behaviour...street stress, highway hissy-fits, thoroughfare tantrums, something like that.

Highway hijinks:cool:, tarmac madness:D, route canal (instead of root canal:)), wheel bandits:pac:, macadam and heave ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I cover a lot of miles in my job around the country. Some of the things I see are mind blowing. At least once a week I see someone do something and think to myself 'wow, I've never seen anyone do that before'. People have so much trouble with the simplist of things.
    Few people understand the different lanes on traffic islands. The right lane is never for going straight over unless otherwise indicated.
    Lane discipline on motorways around Dublin is none existent. It's pure ignorance.

Today I was driving home on the m6. I came up behind a 99 plate seat toledo. I pull out to overtake him, he speeds up. Why? I go back behind him. He then drops his speed a bit so I pull out to overtake again, he then speeds up again. Determined not to be overtaken. So I think how determined is he. I am along side him and speed up more to see if he will too which he does. It starts raining at this point and he continues to speed up to avoid being overtaken. We reach over 140kph. I have no intention of driving at this speed, it's purely to push this moron.
    What a nob. The world is full of them. Rather than be overtaken he would do nearly 100mph on the speedo in the rain (I always take my speed from my sat nav, speedo generally exaggerates by about 10kph).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Balmed Out wrote: »
    We all had to learn at some stage. I have a mate who is teaching his wife in his car so had L plates up. Hes been driving the bones of twenty years himself but all of a sudden half of other road users were far more aggressive and would try to pass him out at the slightest opportunity.

I'm taking it you mean he was driving the car himself and left L-plates up?

If so he's an idiot. He's making it worse for genuine learners. I see someone with L plates up driving okay, I presume they're lazy fecks who won't take the bloody L plates down when the learner gets out of the car.Why do I presume this? Because most of the time, it's true. Lots of mommy and daddy cars going around clearly being driven by mommy or daddy on their own - pretty clear they're not the learner. It takes 20 seconds to take down the plates, so do it.

I'd fcuking love to see a clamp down on L plate usage - on those failing to display and those with plates up who aren't learners.

If the ONLY cars with L plates up were genuinely being driven by learners, there would be no doubt at all that the person behind the wheel is inexperienced and more people would give them more space.

If so he's an idiot. He's making it worse for genuine learners. I see someone with L plates up driving okay, I presume they're lazy fecks who won't take the bloody L plates down when the learner gets out of the car.Why do I presume this? Because most of the time, it's true. Lots of mommy and daddy cars going around clearly being driven by mommy or daddy on their own - pretty clear they're not the learner. It takes 20 seconds to take down the plates, so do it.

I'd fcuking love to see a clamp down on L plate usage - on those failing to display and those with plates up who aren't learners.

If the ONLY cars with L plates up were genuinely being driven by learners, there would be no doubt at all that the person behind the wheel is inexperienced and more people would give them more space.

I'd love to see a much bigger clamp down on the amount of learners driving around unsupervised. This is a plague that needs to be stopped. Around athlone alone there are a few dozen doing this. One woman I know of driving a nissan micra should not be allowed anywhere near a public highway unsupervised as she has no idea what she is doing. I've seen her take several attempts to park in a parking space with nothing behind her, yet she mounted the kerb 3 times. Don't get me started on parking though. Omfg the standard of parking never ceases to amaze me.
    Yet the gards never seem to spot her. How???
    Also kids not in car seats.
    Kids climbing around the back of cars.
    Cars with dozens of kids yet only 3 seats.
    The list goes on.

I'd love to see a much bigger clamp down on the amount of learners driving around unsupervised. This is a plague that needs to be stopped. Around athlone alone there are a few dozen doing this. One woman I know of driving a nissan micra should not be allowed anywhere near a public highway unsupervised as she has no idea what she is doing. I've seen her take several attempts to park in a parking space with nothing behind her, yet she mounted the kerb 3 times. Don't get me started on parking though. Omfg the standard of parking never ceases to amaze me.
    Yet the gards never seem to spot her. How???
    Also kids not in car seats.
    Kids climbing around the back of cars.
    Cars with dozens of kids yet only 3 seats.
    The list goes on.

Absolutely. I can't stand the blazee attitude of pure idiots who think they should be allowed to drive unaccompanied simply because they reckon they're good enough to. If that's the case, do your test and prove it.

But the point was that people falsely displaying L plates do nothing to help learner drivers, and it's my opinion (and simply my opinion) that it causes more frustration for drivers (and more rude behaviour from them) when they do then come across a very new learner.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's remarkable how everyone wants to see a clampdown on the learner drivers driving alone when every fcuker in the country did it without bother for 20 years.

I like these N plates. I think we should expand the plates system. Learner drivers get L. Novices get N. And then anyone who gets done for driving like a wanker gets W plates. If we shamed the road ragers, mobile phone users, tailgaters, speeders etc with an enforced w plate law I think that would improve things. Maybe force them to replace their aerial with a big floppy dildo too. And if you get caught without your wanker plates and your dildo you get put the **** off the road.

It's remarkable how everyone wants to see a clampdown on the learner drivers driving alone when every fcuker in the country did it without bother for 20 years.

I didn't. Do I have a right to want them clamped down on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think it's a step in the right direction to enforce a rule like that but it's about 20 or so years later than it should be. And it doesn't at all help counter the problem of those who have passed driving tests who just choose to drive like ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Yeah some people are very ignorant and think THEY own the roads. I was driving around a roundabout the other day a single lane, and the car from the road on the left (who needs to yeild right of way to roundabout) decides to come out and drive right beside me ignoring me forcing me to slow down mid roundabout to make way for her. Otherwise i would have hit her or the kerb. Ignorance at its finest

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnnyMacMan

I live close to an entry/exit of the M50 and the amount of drivers who don't know how to use roundabouts correctly astonishes me. Everytime I go onto the roundabouts there is always some idiot in the wrong lane! The worst is when they believe that they are in the correct lane, and squeeze me out of the way when exiting the roundabout even when I am in the correct lane.

Packrat wrote: »
    Every fcukin thread this rubbish comes up. Yes, of course these people - now in their 60s are clearly the problem :rolleyes:

Not the teenage or twenties cnut impressing his mates "some boo off that lad" or the teenage or twenties girl driving her mini cooper with the phone plastered to the side of her head like the little b1tch that nearly creamed my pregnant oh yesterday. I got the finger when I told her to get off her fcukin phone.

I was just pointing out that some people were never actual learner drivers so maybe they don't remember the stress of it- my mam and my aunt both got their licences this way after being brought out to the carpark a few times and are now some of the best drivers I know- it was not a slander on drivers in their 60s. I'm guessing the shock earlier brought out the agro but you're just after stereotyping an entire generation of drivers, unfairly. Every generation has its bunch of asshole drivers- not all young drivers are dangerous, same as not everyone in their 60s are safe drivers. It could be a result of bad habits being passed down, you'd never know. Not all young female drivers use their phone while driving- most of us think its a massive no no along with not using seatbelts, smoking in the car, not using indicators when perfoming manoveurs etc. Not all young lads show off to their friends.
    I've had several near misses since I started driving over seven years ago- some were young lads, some were young women, some were elderly but a massive amount of them were middle-aged men and women acting like they owned the road...there's no single dangerous driving generation so don't act like its all the fault of the young 'uns.

Wow, how many L plate stickers would you expect someone to go through before they pass their test? I mean, they're not expensive, but taking them down and putting a new pair up every day, it'll soon stack up.

Velcro :D Its what we all used when learning on our parents' cars. It meant no driver having L plates up when they shouldn't and vice versa.

Wow, how many L plate stickers would you expect someone to go through before they pass their test? I mean, they're not expensive, but taking them down and putting a new pair up every day, it'll soon stack up.

I think she means reusable ones

Most of them would re stick and there's magnetic ones also iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

Akrasia wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with the OP.

The OP was overtaking other cars, and the OP pulled in when the manouver was complete.

It's not bad behaviour to be in the overtaking lane while overtaking other cars and driving at the speed limit as long as you keep left when you're not overtaking.

Anyone who thinks differently is wrong.

it is wrong when you goin 2 miles an hour faster than the person you overtaking. Get out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Wow a bit over the top harsh. Idiot?

The average learner probably drives better then the average motorist. Novice learners tend to fail to make much progress or go into wrong lanes but they learn quick enough.

How on earth do you think your last point is true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO GENERALISE BECAUSE THATS WHAT IM ABOUT TO DO

I see.

I see.

"English mother****a -- Do you speak it? "

I never accused anyone of generalising...just of being wrong.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

"English mother****a -- Do you speak it? "

I never accused anyone of generalising...just of being wrong.

Saying that the people who got their licenses without taking a test are dangerous on the roads is a generalisation.
    You say that's arse because they are in their 60's.
    Then you rail on young drivers for a bit.

That's 3 generalisations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

There are some drivers that just should not be on the roads, but getting them off them will only happen when there is a total change in attitude about enforcement.

If I'd been in my own vehicle, and hadn't 2 young children in a small car with me, one arsehole would have had no radiator, sudden and violent application of brakes works wonders, but it has to be done with intent, in a vehicle that won't also be damaged by contact, preferably with a tow ball that will do serious damage to the radiator.

Caught an F1 driver in Ashbourne like that a few years ago, he thought overtaking in the right turn lane to an estate was a good idea, until he (too late) discovered I really was turning right, and not just blocking him. Did more than a little damage to his Italian sports job when I braked hard, but nothing at all to the tow hitch on the back of mine.

so you intentionally caused a road traffic accident to try teach someone a lesson? And you would do it again if it was possible.

yeah, you are posting in the right thread alright.

you're right though, there sure are drivers out there who shouldnt be on the road. And just because you think enforcement isnt what it should be, doesnt mean you should be going out deliberately causing accidents to try prove some point.

I find it humorous all these people who come on here and say slowing down to annoy speeding drivers, or braking hard in front of them is some sort of answer. Without realising at all that they are as much an a$$hole on the road.

If someone is speeding up behind me or driving aggressively, I'll do whatever I can to make sure they pass me and get as far away from me as possible, they can crash into something else other than me. I've no interest in playing games with someone who is liable to do anything.

bruschi wrote: »
    so you intentionally caused a road traffic accident to try teach someone a lesson? And you would do it again if it was possible.

yeah, you are posting in the right thread alright.

you're right though, there sure are drivers out there who shouldnt be on the road. And just because you think enforcement isnt what it should be, doesnt mean you should be going out deliberately causing accidents to try prove some point.

I find it humorous all these people who come on here and say slowing down to annoy speeding drivers, or braking hard in front of them is some sort of answer. Without realising at all that they are as much an a$$hole on the road.

If someone is speeding up behind me or driving aggressively, I'll do whatever I can to make sure they pass me and get as far away from me as possible, they can crash into something else other than me. I've no interest in playing games with someone who is liable to do anything.

Don't assume also that when someone hits your dogs dick tow bar that there will be no damage. Their may not be any visual damage, but the chassis is taking the full force with no crumple zones such as the bumper to absorb some of that force. Too many of these hits and your car will be shaped like a banana.

Wow a bit over the top harsh. Idiot?

The average learner probably drives better then the average motorist. Novice learners tend to fail to make much progress or go into wrong lanes but they learn quick enough.

How on earth do you think your last point is true?

Yeah, idiot. The purpose of L plates is to warn OTHER drivers that the person driving the car in question is new to driving and is inexperienced. If an experienced driver leaves L plates up and behaves like a normal experienced driver, other drivers associate L plated cars with any other car. (The exception being the odd idiot who sees an L plate and goes ballistic for no good reason). Then when they see a very new learner screw up they get angrier.

It's an L plate, it's to be displayed by LEARNER motorists. They can be taken down and put back up in under a minute. It's sheer laziness to leave them up.

Also, I sincerely do not accept that the average learner drives better than the average motorist. They don't. One of the key things the average learner lacks is experience in reading the road. They're also less mechanically familiar with driving, meaning that they just don't have all their concentration on their surroundings. I've seen a few incidents where I could see a situation developing way in advance but a learner carries on regardless and then has to take evasive action.

If the only people with L plates up were actually learners, people would be more inclined to see the L plate and expect the person to not read the road properly. As it stands, fully licensed drivers are portraying themselves to be learners and so true learner behaviour associated with L-plates is "diluted" on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Of course teenagers and some in there twenties are the problem must due to high engines and speed are good but so are those are those who got there licences for free

Those who think they are great drivers and can do anything and it the slower drivers or those who do not react fast enough are the one I FEAR THE MOST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Of course teenagers and some in there twenties are the problem must due to high engines and speed are good but so are those are those who got there licences for free
    Nobody got a free licence if you are going on about the amnesty it lasted a whole month in 1978 to clear a backlog (they didn't have to sit their test) not many benefited from it ;) The way people keep harping on about it on boards you'd think half of drivers over 55 never did the driving test :rolleyes:

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Nobody got a free licence if you are going on about the amnesty it lasted a whole month in 1978 to clear a backlog (they didn't have to sit their test) not many benefited from it ;) The way people keep harping on about it on boards you'd think half of drivers over 55 never did the driving test :rolleyes:

I know of at leat 10 my father and mother been 2. They got a licence for everything. My father is great my mother not so much. I never said half the driver where did I say that I said some

I know of at leat 10 my father and mother been 2. They got a licence for everything. My father is great my mother not so much. I never said half the driver where did I say that I said some

The way people keep harping on about it on boards you'd think half of drivers over 55 never did the driving test

I was referring to posters on boards who keep harping on about the amnesty, not you ;)

• Advertisement

Okay you say nobody got a free license (not talking about money here( but you said it lasted a month I have my doubts. How many people got there licence in that month WITHOUT A TEST (THAT I WOULD CONSIDER FREE)

The way people keep harping on about it on boards you'd think half of drivers over 55 never did the driving test

I was referring to posters on boards who keep harping on about the amnesty, not you ;)

You quoted me not someone else if you have a problem with them quote them. not me.

Those who think they are great drivers and can do anything and it the slower drivers or those who do not react fast enough are the one I FEAR THE MOST

Quoted for emphasis.

There is no such thing as a "good" driver. Experience is nothing but the sum of your lucky escapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Yeah, idiot. The purpose of L plates is to warn OTHER drivers that the person driving the car in question is new to driving and is inexperienced. If an experienced driver leaves L plates up and behaves like a normal experienced driver, other drivers associate L plated cars with any other car. (The exception being the odd idiot who sees an L plate and goes ballistic for no good reason). Then when they see a very new learner screw up they get angrier.

It's an L plate, it's to be displayed by LEARNER motorists. They can be taken down and put back up in under a minute. It's sheer laziness to leave them up.

Also, I sincerely do not accept that the average learner drives better than the average motorist. They don't. One of the key things the average learner lacks is experience in reading the road. They're also less mechanically familiar with driving, meaning that they just don't have all their concentration on their surroundings. I've seen a few incidents where I could see a situation developing way in advance but a learner carries on regardless and then has to take evasive action.

If the only people with L plates up were actually learners, people would be more inclined to see the L plate and expect the person to not read the road properly. As it stands, fully licensed drivers are portraying themselves to be learners and so true learner behaviour associated with L-plates is "diluted" on the roads.

Sorry but I think your very naive. It isn't the odd person that behaves more aggressively behind an L plate driver, it might be an actual majority. If as you believe the standard of driver would be lessened by partners and parents being more diligent in removing L plates I really would see people behaving even worse towards them.

A learner who is used to the mechanical aspect of driving and has a decent amount of experience is I believe better then the average motorist whom it would seem to me don't know the correct rules for roundabouts, don't use (or not enough) their mirrors, uses mobile phones, don't know overtaking rules, hand signals, right of way rules etc etc. Learners will generally know all of these things and wont have so many bad habits as the rest of us.

Okay you say nobody got a free license (not talking about money here( but you said it lasted a month I have my doubts. How many people got there licence in that month WITHOUT A TEST (THAT I WOULD CONSIDER FREE)
    You quoted me not someone else if you have a problem with them quote them. not me.
    You just contradicted yourself with those two posts ;)

You doubt about the length of the amnesty, were you around back then?

Back then around 140000 did the driving test yearly so a rough guess would be 14000/12=11,666. It wasn't as if everyone could jump on the band wagon you could only get it if you already had applied for your test. The ones that got it had trouble getting cheaper insurance after as they didn't sit the test and many of them wanted to sit the test for that reason but were refused because they already had a full licence.

Sorry but I think your very naive. It isn't the odd person that behaves more aggressively behind an L plate driver, it might be an actual majority. If as you believe the standard of driver would be lessened by partners and parents being more diligent in removing L plates I really would see people behaving even worse towards them.

Not in my experience it's not. It's the absolute minority. And again, you're harping on about the mechanics of driving. You're forgetting about situational awareness and on-road experience.

You just contradicted yourself with those two posts ;)

You doubt about the length of the amnesty, were you around back then?

No was not around back then been I am 34 but my father was and just going on reconciliation I think it went on longer. How did I contradict myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

:confused:
    No was not around back then been I am 34 but my father was and just going on reconciliation I think it went on longer. How did I contradict myself
    :confused:

Quoted for emphasis.

There is no such thing as a "good" driver. Experience is nothing but the sum of your lucky escapes.

To be fair that's just bullsh1t.

Are you trying to tell me that my 23 years of driving 30,000 to 70,000 miles a year ACCIDENT FREE are just lucky escapes. Fcuk off (with respect)

• Advertisement
Advertisement