Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On street parking with foreign reg

Options
  • 29-09-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Just wondering will Dublin city council allow me a permit with my UK license plate?

anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

refused me a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

i will change it after 3 months and register it in Ireland, wonder can I get a short term one even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

If you are permanently resident in ireland then you should be registering it now.

I'm not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You need to submit your insurance cert with your car reg and address on it.

How is your car insured?

• Advertisement

have Ireland and UK cover for 6 months from LV in the UK

Caliden wrote: »
    You need to submit your insurance cert with your car reg and address on it.

How is your car insured?

hmm the insurance cert will have UK address on it, unless i chat to LV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

They need the insurance to be in the address of the place you are applying for a permit for. OP revenue will fine you for not having registered your car for a IRL plate,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

hfallada wrote: »
    . OP revenue will fine you for not having registered your car for a IRL plate,

It's not so much that Revenue will fine you. They'll take the car off you, and then if you pay the fine and the VRT, you get it back.

guile4582 wrote: »
    I'm not

if you plan on registering the car in 3 months time then you plan to stay here right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just wondering will Dublin city council allow me a permit with my UK license plate?

anyone know?
    Highly unlikely. They are fairly strict - you need several documents, all with an address at that location. Look at the residents permit sections here: www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Documents/ParkingControlBye-Laws2013.pdf

Your only hope is visitor permits, which you would need to obtain from a resident.

They need the insurance to be in the address of the place you are applying for a permit for. OP revenue will fine you for not having registered your car for a IRL plate,

I can keep the car with UK reg for 90days in ireland.

only if you are a visitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But after that, you have to switch the reg to an Irish one. There is no way, DCC will give you a parking permit with a UK reg

But after that, you have to switch the reg to an Irish one. There is no way, DCC will give you a parking permit with a UK reg

i will be a visitor for 90 days and then will reg it

guest permits the way to go

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

*grumble, grumble* Bloody foreigners. Coming over here. Taking our parking spaces. *grumble, grumble*

:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

i will be a visitor for 90 days and then will reg it
    So you're not actually visiting then?

no i am planning on staying. starting a new job

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you're going to re-reg it anyway, why not do it sooner rather than later and save yourself a load of trouble trying to source visitors permits :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

no i am planning on staying. starting a new job
    so you will spend 90x1.25 on parking permits rather than re-reg (which you have to do anyway) and just but a permit for 75?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have a neighbour that would have you dobbed in to the council/clampers by week 2 of your proposed enterprise :D

I may not have to keep it on street, depends on what lodgings I get
    as for why don't I do it sooner rather than later, cos I am up to my eyeballs with everything else involved with moving country

Its insured for Ireland. I have owned it for more than 5 years so by law I am allowed bring it into the country and keep my UK reg for 90 days.

whole point of post was to check is it possible if I could get a permit given all the above

the answer is no. worst case scenario as mentioned, finger out , re-reg it or pay for visitor permit

thank you one and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

But what you have not taken into consideration OP is that you are in Ireland now and those 90 days will soon become 180 days its called the long finger.

i am but the car isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I see the annoyance OP. Bit of a pity really considering I did the equivalent in the UK and could pick up a temporary 1 month pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I may not have to keep it on street, depends on what lodgings I get
    as for why don't I do it sooner rather than later, cos I am up to my eyeballs with everything else involved with moving country

Its insured for Ireland. I have owned it for more than 5 years so by law I am allowed bring it into the country and keep my UK reg for 90 days.

whole point of post was to check is it possible if I could get a permit given all the above

the answer is no. worst case scenario as mentioned, finger out , re-reg it or pay for visitor permit

thank you one and all

Are you a UK citizen? The gardai tend to keep an eye out for Irish citizens driving foreign Reg vehicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

i am but the car isn't

Hang on the ferry ticket when you come over and keep it in the car it can be handy for proving that how long you have had the car over here if customs stop you.

Advertisement