Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect or Engineer Dublin

• 29-09-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello, I am planning on a renovation to the downstairs of my house and an extension over an existing flat roof upstairs to the side.

The renovation would include new layout of the kitchen and sitting rooms which would include knocking walls and upstairs we basically want to make a new master bedroom with big ensuite and walk in wardrobe. The house is 1800 sq ft now and the extension would up that to approx 2000sq ft. We also want to insulate the house and new wiring and a full re plumb will be required.

We are tied as to whether we need an architect or engineer to design this etc, we would like detailed plans for tender process so what would people recommend? Are we better off going with one over the other? I am based in D6w.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ideally, you should really have both.

Architect to design, prepare planning drawings/application, and prepare detailed tender/construction plans.

Engineer to prepare structural design and specifications for The (inevitable) structural works that may be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ryanjcdub

Could an engineer not prepare planning /drawing application?

Advertisement