Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Go with a contract or buy direct?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Vodafone's plan is pathetic :eek:.

Yes the RED Essentials plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

e-Mobile's plan is by far and away the best of the lot.

Is there a reason why Meteor are charging more than e-Mobile for less minutes, texts and data considering they are both essentially the same network ?

e-Mobile's plan is by far and away the best of the lot.

Is there a reason why Meteor are charging more than e-Mobile for less minutes, texts and data considering they are both essentially the same network ?

emobiles plan is dependent on having an eircom landline (or knowing someone who is willing to renew their landline contract for another 24 months by adding your mobile to it). It is essentially a reduced price for bundling the mobile with the landline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just got of the phone with emobile - terrible background chatter - sounded like the sales rep was in the pub! Anyway for non-eircom landline customers ie me it's €149 upfront for a 64 GB iPhone 6 and €54 pm for 2 years for unlimited calls, texts + 5 gigs of data. Will have to do my sums when I get off the bus but looks like I won't be cancelling my apple store order.

edit

iPhone 6 64gb from Apple €799 + €25 x 24 = €1399 based on Tesco mobile unlimited calls, texts and 15 gig data (3G but don't need 4G)

Emobile iPhone 64gb €149 + €54 x 24 = €1445 unlimited calls texts and 5 gigs of 4G data

So only €46 cheaper buying direct from Apple and with sim only plan from Tesco.

So looks like my wife will be staying with Tesco mobile especially since we have €110 of clubcard points which are worth €330 off her mobile bill. As for me I'm still deciding whether to return to Apple or stay with Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

emobiles plan is dependent on having an eircom landline (or knowing someone who is willing to renew their landline contract for another 24 months by adding your mobile to it). It is essentially a reduced price for bundling the mobile with the landline.

IIRC, its fine if you have a relative with an Eircom landline which you can tie into your own contract ?

• Advertisement

IIRC, its fine if you have a relative with an Eircom landline which you can tie into your own contract ?

Yeah that's what I was saying inside the brackets in my post but keep in mind it does mean the eircom account holder must sign up to a 24 month contract also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yeah that's what I was saying inside the brackets in my post but keep in mind it does mean the eircom account holder must sign up to a 24 month contract also.

Ouch. I'd be hard pushed to find anyone that still has eircom to even sign into a 24 month contact lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've only ever called them within the first 12 months, so I cant say what would've happened after that. I think 30-40 quid buys you another 12 months officially on Applecare, fwiw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I was onto eMobile earlier and they said that the landline isn't tied into a 24 month contract.

• Advertisement

Ouch. I'd be hard pushed to find anyone that still has eircom to even sign into a 24 month contact lol.

My home place is in the country so it's eircom or nothing meaning there was no issue renewing the contract.
    I was onto eMobile earlier and they said that the landline isn't tied into a 24 month contract.

That's very different to what I and and another family member have done/been told on a number of different occasions. My sister signed up to a contract in an eMobile shop a few months ago and had to have my father present (eircom account holder) in order to agree to a 24 month contract on the landline. I have spoken to a number of different people in eMobile and all have told me the same and when I signed up last week to the new contract I was put on hold and they called my father to again confirm he agrees with renewing the contract.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

My home place is in the country so it's eircom or nothing meaning there was no issue renewing the contract.

That's very different to what I and and another family member have done/been told on a number of different occasions. My sister signed up to a contract in an eMobile shop a few months ago and had to have my father present (eircom account holder) in order to agree to a 24 month contract on the landline. I have spoken to a number of different people in eMobile and all have told me the same and when I signed up last week to the new contract I was put on hold and they called my father to again confirm he agrees with renewing the contract.

I thought I would have to as well, when I signed up last time, but the lady in the shop said no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Just called emobile, if I was to buy either a 64GB 6+ or 128GB 6 it works out as €1100 for an 18 month contract. Considering the phone itself is €900 of that I'm just going to order one from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Is that with an eircom landline? What are the calls/texts/data like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Unlimited everything and 5GB data.

I was in an eMobile shop yesterday and asked the same question twice and both times they answered no. I am gonna ring again today and confirm.

I was in an eMobile shop yesterday and asked the same question twice and both times they answered no. I am gonna ring again today and confirm.

I don't know to be honest? As I said I spoke to a few different people at various times (I was originally going to get a 5s on one or two occasions over the last year for instance) and anyone I spoke to said I would need the account holders consent to re-contract the landline. Then when both my sister and I signed up recently the account holders consent was required on both occasions.

http://www.emobile.ie/assets/static/pdfs/eircom_bundles_T&Cs04102012.pdf

Here are the terms and conditions. Seems like point number 5 says it ties the home phone back into an 18month month contract.

Just confirmed it on the phone too. The people in the shop obviously don't have a clue as well as the online chat person i was speaking too as well!

http://www.emobile.ie/assets/static/pdfs/eircom_bundles_T&Cs04102012.pdf

Here are the terms and conditions. Seems like point number 5 says it ties the home phone back into an 18month month contract.

Just confirmed it on the phone too. The people in the shop obviously don't have a clue as well as the online chat person i was speaking too as well!

Maybe I'm getting mixed up and they said 18 months (or maybe they were getting mixed up and said 24). Either way its not much of a difference between them.

Advertisement